November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mark Larson (mlarson) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeast USA
About Me Lifelong student and nerd in general, currently working on the web. I have a bias for higher mileage and longer days on the trail. Most of my hikes are on the border of SUL & UL; I still weigh everything, but pretty much stopped using spreadsheets. I read all the time, blog less, and run a good bit.
My Website URL

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Larson

Showing 161 - 170 of 338 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...34

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: keeping guylines untangled
I generally leave mine attached to the tarp. When packing up, I take each cord individually, fold it a couple of times, and then tie it in a loose overhand knot. -Mark

In Philosophy & Technique » keeping guylines untangled
May 26, 6:31pm

Re: ball cap.
Ditto on the ball cap, or visor. Like Anon, I add a bandana or silk scarf tucked under the headband if I need to protect from sunburn over the ears and neck. I've actually never owned a wide-brimme...

In GEAR » Wide Brim or Ball Cap? (fixed)
May 24, 6:31am

Re: Big Sky diligence issue
Tom, and everyone else, thanks for sharing. I had been wondering if anyone had given Big Sky's telephone a try. (888-535-7085, 10a-3p MST) I haven't placed any orders with them, but I'm keeping my ...

In GEAR » Summit Shelters
May 23, 8:46pm

Re: Biting thru windshirts
Using Microlight fabric, I've only had bites go through as Davidson mentioned--stretched over the tip of a bent elbow, over the shoulders/traps area while snoozing, or similar. I find the fit of my...

In GEAR » Will bugs bite through a Montane Lite Speed Wind Shirt?
May 20, 12:08pm

Re: .
Sorry, I should have been clearer on my gear weights. I choose running shorts, which are only about 3oz. I don't need the pockets or length. My Capilene long johns are about 4-5oz, like yours. Wind...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making conversion waterproof pants
May 09, 11:31pm

Re: Pretty new to backpacking, but....
Glad you had a good trip. What is the HGW like? I'm not familiar with it. I always come back with a new idea or new lesson--what was your "take-away" from the trip? Any insights to share? -Mark

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pretty new to backpacking, but....
May 09, 9:32pm

Re: .
I think 'rain shorts' would be far too hot/humid to wear while moving, and they probably won't have pockets, fly zippers, or other conveniences. But I'll admit I have a bias against convertible clo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making conversion waterproof pants
May 09, 9:29pm

Re: Resoling materials and shoe forms/molds
I've always heard a lot of good things about this guy Dave Page, cobbler. I'm not sure if he sells parts, but you could probably get some good leads from them about sourcing. -Mark

In Multiple Use Gear » Resoling materials
May 05, 6:43am

GoLite Poncho-Tarp, Montane Featherlite
Backcountry Gear Ltd. has the GoLite Poncho-Tarp on sale for $38.25, which makes it [for a little while] even cheaper than the ol' bargain standby, the Equinox/Campmor Silponcho. They've also go...

In Gear Deals » GoLite Poncho-Tarp, Montane Featherlite
May 04, 8:43pm

Re: 16 oz External Frame Backpack
Nice work, Steve. I like how the frame 'cradles' the load behind you. Looks like that will prevent the main sack from getting too saggy, and also give that bottom fabric some more protection. I hop...

In Make Your Own Gear » 16 oz External Frame Backpack
May 02, 12:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Larson

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

GoLite Virga
Used this one on the AT this summer. My particular model has 1 large pocket on the right-hand side. I accidentally purchased a Small @ 8.1oz, but it ended up working out just fine for size [5'11, ...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 18, 8:18am

Montrail Masai
I like the Masai quite a bit. They don't wear as well as many other shoes. The toe rubber and seams started to flake out around the 300-mile mark, but surprisingly the fabric itself showed very li...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 01, 10:26am

Gossamer Gear Miniposa
I've put about 1000 miles on this pack, and so far it has easily displaced my GoLite Jam as my go-to pack. And I really love my Jam. I had the new Miniposa mailed to me in the middle of a long ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 9:29am

Inov8 Flyroc 310
The Flyrocs are quite good. The deep-lugged soles make for excellent grip. I like that the heel isn't significantly raised, so you the shoes feel nice and close to the ground. The open mesh lets some ...

July 02, 9:07am

Evernew Nonstick Titanium 0.9 L Pot
This pot has great dimensions. Wide base, but not too shallow. Also wide enough to fit a trimmed spoon inside with my entire kitchen, and still close completely. I like the volume for meals on long-te...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 16, 11:19am

Gatorade Bottle
I'll put a plug in the for the Gatorade Endurance bottles in particular. They are a little more narrow and taller than the standard squatty bottles, so they fit more easily in side pockets. 1L/34oz ca...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
November 04, 3:05am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
This shoe is almost brilliant. I love the mesh, and the thin tongue is very comfortable. The footbed is probably the most supportive and comfortable I've ever used--no sore spots or aches. My bones an...

November 04, 3:00am

U.S. Department of Defense MRE Spoon
Meals-ready-to-eat come with great spoons, and some food, too. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or where to find them commercially. The spoons have a generous length, long to reach the bottom o...

In Cookware - Other
November 04, 2:49am

Montane Featherlite
A great, great windshirt, and I've been really surprised by its inclement weather performance. I've been on brief runs [20-40 minutes] in the rain with the Featherlite. While it eventually wets out an...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 04, 2:40am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
This is a review of the non-extended version, which I've really grown to like. Just a bit over 7oz, about 7.75 feet long, and a bargain at $40-50. I have had no problems with durability; snags on tree...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 04, 2:29am