Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mike Clelland (mikeclelland) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale The Tetons (via Idaho)
About Me I divide my time between doing cartoon drawings at my desk in Idaho, and sleeping outside in the mountains. A few years back Don Ladagan called me up and asked me to draw instructional cartoons for his excellent book LIGHTEN UP! He was quite an inspiration, and I embraced his simple teachings. From that point on I became a weirdo zealot for a lighter backpack. In 2005 I spearheaded the very successful lightweight program at the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). Presently I’m working at Backpackinglight’s Wilderness Trekking School.
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://littleboingmarks.blogspot.com/
My PDF Gear List8 pound base weight

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike Clelland

Showing 161 - 170 of 926 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...93

Forum » Thread

Right ON!
N I C E !

In Gear Lists » Sub 5 lb list
April 13, 11:02pm

I might be a zealot, but...
Here's an article on the topic of NON-toilet paper expeditions. LINK: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/toilet_paper_free.html (updated link above) I might be a...

In Gear Lists » 3 Season Gear List for relativly new ultraliter
April 11, 8:11pm

I'm a bit of a zealot.
A reply to a post above: ------------------------- I live near a national park, and I am one of the VERY few people who make an effort to clean up other peoples trash. And this means I clean up...

April 11, 5:36pm

follow up
I don't carry or use trekking poles, thus their weight is zero - same as toilet paper. And - I have never had to clean up and deal with someone else's trekking poles!

April 10, 10:01pm

TP (link)
Toilet Paper free expeditions. LINK: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/toilet_paper_free.html I work at NOLS, and in 17 year and over 3 years of my life in the mountai...

April 10, 4:30pm

2.2 oz HEFTY trash compactor bag
I use only one waterproofing bag. It protects everything. It is a 2.2 oz HEFTY trash compactor bag. It lines the interior of my small backpack. I use no other waterproofing. I put my quilt i...

In GEAR » What dry/compression bag do you use for your sleeping bag?
April 10, 4:22pm

cool spreadsheet (with pie chart!)
Nice List, and cool spreadsheet (with pie chart!) ______________________________________ The 55 gal trash bag is too much, a white plastic HEFTY trash COMPACTOR bag is plenty. Repackage aqua...

In Gear Lists » Newest Summer List
April 10, 10:09am

VERY NICE LIST!
VERY NICE LIST! =================== (minimal feedback below) =================== Lawn bag ground cloth 2 --- NIX the ground cloth altogether, no need with the bivy sack. First aid kit 3.5 ...

April 10, 10:02am

Just get your feet wet.
Just get your feet wet. The time it takes to pull your shoes off and put them back on is too much. Plus, if there is one stream, there will probably soon be another. Hiking with wet shoes is fi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stream crossings with low-rise trail runners
April 09, 11:01am

JAM
- The JAM pack is sort of the mainstay of the lightweight pack arsenal. It is a little heavy by true UL standards, but I hike with mine all the time. Don't stress about it's long term u...

In Gear Lists » Newbie UL...need gear advice for VA thru hike
April 08, 2:35pm

All Reader Reviews by Mike Clelland

Showing 1 - 10 of 32 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Leatherman Juice S2 Multitool
4.3 ounces? Uhhhg!

In Miscellaneous Products
March 28, 10:01am

Hefty Trash Compactor Bag as LINER BAG
Hefty Trash Compactor Bags 18 Gal. (68 L) Size 2 Ft. 1 3/4 x...

November 03, 8:34am

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
A perfect Bar.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
April 10, 7:14pm

Patagonia DAS Parka
I am chiming in and giving the DAS a low grade of 3. It is NOT a lightweight piece of gear! It's a porker, and should be refered to as such on the BPL site. 29 ounces? Thats 1 pound 13 ounce...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
March 27, 9:08am

Patagonia Lightweight Sun Hoody
This is a nice layer, but expensive. It doesn't get a 5 because of its high price. It's basically lightweight long underwear, but with a hood. The fabric is a little bit slippery and stretc...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
March 21, 8:38pm

Hardware store SINGLE EDGE RAZOR BLADE
The standard hardware store little single edge razor blade is the simplest and lightest thing I've found - ever. Nice and sharp, easy to use - and LIGHT! They weigh 0.1 ounces! Buy a little...

March 15, 9:09am

Javette Coffee
I think these are very good. Not quite as good as fresh brewed - but a good substitute. That's why it gets a 4 and not a 5. Superior (even if only a little) to Java Juice. Here's how I thin...

February 13, 11:21am

Petzl e+LITE
Also - THe RED light option is really nice. I find I use it a lot to save batteries. It works great for ALMOST any purpose in the dark. Go ahead and try using it exclusivly. The red light really w...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
November 29, 9:43am

GoLite Hut 1
I've used the GoLite Hut 2 (a little bigger) in the winter. It's fine. It takes a little extra time to adjust it so it's nice and tight. Ryan - hey, give a review after you get out o...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 29, 9:40am

GU Energy Gel
Hey - Make yer own in bulk. Cheeep and works great. HOMEMADE GOO ============= I've been using a form of homemade sports gel, and it's been really successful - and I have a circle o...

November 29, 9:37am