BPL Community Profile

Mark Hurd (markhurd) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me Backpacker, climber, cyclist, sometime kayaker, aerospace engineer, entomologist, physician, DIY gear maker, gadget junky, hammock aficionado and former daguerreotypist.---- "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Hurd

Showing 161 - 170 of 458 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...46

Forum » Thread

Re: Insulation Durability
John, For my two cents I would recommend your scouts get synthetic bags. Very easy to wash and will stay warmer if they do happen to get wet. Down will totally fail if it gets wet. I have been ...

In GEAR » Synthetic or Down Bag versus Washing
February 14, 3:05pm

Re: Re: So you think that was dumb?
To pick up on the lightening theme- Started out with my hiking buddies on a sunny morning to climb (walk up) Mt. Of The Holy Cross in Colorado (14,000+ ft) from our base camp at about 10,000. Made ...

In GEAR » So you think that was dumb?
February 13, 7:03pm

Re: favorite home made stove
Jason, You might consider switching from the pot lifter to a wire gripper. David Lewis of this forum came up with this and it is basically a stiff wire ( coathanger, bike spoke, titanium wire ) th...

In GEAR » Your favorite home made stove?
February 11, 10:33am

Re: Re: MYOG - SUL 40° Quilt ??
Greg, I would swear I got the 4.5mm silk because Bill had mentioned he used it for down tubes of some kind. Anyway, I use my quilt as a supplement to my sleeping bag in cold weather and more recen...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG - SUL 40° Quilt ??
February 06, 1:07pm

Re: SUL 40 Quilt --Silk's limits
Brad, Ok, maybe 99.9% is a little high.:-) But I still maintain that it is pretty down-proof. The quilt is approximately 70 x 48 inches, sewn though construction. I would say I lose and average ...

February 05, 5:53pm

Re: Re: MYOG - SUL 40° Quilt ??
(Greg- I was writing the message below as you were posting.) You might consider 4.5 mm silk. The "mm" stands for momme (pronounced mummy) and is a measure of silk fabric by wt. You can...

February 05, 4:41pm

Areopress Coffee
By far the best coffee I've ever had is that made with the Aeropress. You use the coffee of your choice It is hot brewed and literally takes less than a minute. It makes "shots" of...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » One Fresh Cup coffee brewing
January 14, 6:56pm

Re: So how does it taste?
>The parts of an Aeropress that are strictly necessary (syringe and stirring rod) are 246 grams. Damn if it doesn't make fine coffee (in about a minute including cleanup; no cozy needed as s...

In Editor's Roundtable » Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee
January 14, 6:43pm

Re: Earth
Steffen, I agree that the Russians or Australians should do it. NASA needs to get their units figured out. Metric or English? But the story about the Space Pen is a myth. Both Americans and Rus...

In Make Your Own Gear » When UL meets space travel
January 14, 5:49pm

Re: Re: Yes, I can!
James, Andy's cat can stove is wonderful ( I have made several and used them many times ) but it is not nearly as efficient at a Caldera Cone system. That "little inefficiency" can...

In GEAR » Justify Alcohol Stove Total Weight?
January 13, 10:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Hurd

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Packa eVent
I got an eVent Packa when they first came out and have used it quite a bit over the last couple years. The jacket weighs 16 oz, but it is also a pack cover, so if you subtract 1.5 oz for that you ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 16, 4:52pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
Like the other reviewers, I am really pleased with this piece of gear. Brandon makes each hammock himself. He offers two weights of fabric and single and double bottom models. The roominess of th...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 22, 6:31pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I am reviewing the Caldera Keg, but much of this also applies to the Caldera Cone for the 1.3L Evernew pot which I also own. Easy To Set Up- unroll the cone and slip the dovetails together then ins...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 06, 5:10pm

TarpTent
My first tent under 7 lbs. was the Cloudburst 2. Well, no, actually it was a Squall 2 which I got and loved, but my wife, Nancy, thought it might be a little, too snug. So I got the Cloudburst 2. Well...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 16, 7:18pm

Six Moon Designs
I purchase both the Gatewood Cape and the Essence '07 pack from this company. Very responsive, quick shipping, and well made products. I have not had a problem with either item. Concerning durabil...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 28, 8:27pm

Six Moon Designs Essence '07
Review of the Six Moon Designs Essences ’07 pack I have entered this as a new review as I believe the redesigned pack is significantly different from the previous version and therefore deserves its...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 27, 6:37pm