BPL Community Profile

Jim MacDiarmid (jrmacd) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Jim MacDiarmid hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Jim MacDiarmid has not added a biography yet.
CityNYC
StateNY
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Winter Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim MacDiarmid

Showing 161 - 170 of 1079 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...108

Forum » Thread

Re: Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
+1 to what Christ said about knowing the size of the rest of your kit before settling for good on a pack. Like you, I discovered BPL shortly after I got back into backpacking a couple years ago, a...

In GEAR » Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
August 31, 6:38am

Re: Durability of BPL UL Merino under Pack Straps+ back sweat management
You might know this, since you are thinking of getting the BPL UL Merino over the Smartwool Microweight, but the Smartwool microweight is the same 150 gram/m wool as the BPL Beartooth, vs the 115 g...

In GEAR » Durability of BPL UL Merino under Pack Straps
August 30, 6:31pm

Re: 30 Degree 3 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations
Westerning Mountaineering sells 5'6" models in the Summerlite, Highlite, and Megalite. Montbell, while they make nice bags, only come in 6" lengths, which means you're carrying a...

In GEAR » 30 Degree 3 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations
August 30, 4:12pm

down v. synthetics
Well, it depends on how long the OP plans on staying out in temps requiring a 15-20 degree bag. I'm far from an expert, but certainly for overnighters a down bag would seen the best solutio...

In GEAR » Best 15F-20F synthetic sleeping bag?
August 29, 3:09pm

Re: Telltale signs your kit has evolved.
For a 5 day/4 night trip, I'm going to be carrying 15lbs less in total pack weight (I didn't know what 'baseweight' was back then so this is food + gear) than I did on my first over...

In Philosophy & Technique » Telltale signs your kit has evolved.
August 28, 11:29am

Re: ROI of upgrading
You buy the best, lightest gear you can afford that suits your purposes. When you have an inflexible budget, your dollars/oz savings method is as good as any. I've used that method myself whe...

In GEAR » ROI of upgrading
August 27, 2:26pm

Re: Filter for Platy Big Zip
Sure, the Frontier Pro will hook right up to the end of the tube. I use a Frontier Pro with a 2L platy for all my filtration needs. I used it to drink directly from the bladder, but you could als...

In GEAR » Filter for Platy Big Zip
August 27, 10:11am

Re: How Long
A week to you + 3-5 days shipping to me would be fine. I just need it by mid-September. My trip is the first week of October, and I'd like a week or two to figure out how it works. PM with d...

In Gear Swap » WTB: Brunton ADC Summit
August 27, 8:14am

WTB: Brunton ADC Summit
Looking for a new toy to track temperature, etc on an upcoming trip. Best price I can find is ~$72 shipped. I'll pay $60 shipped (zip code 10023)for like-new used model. So long as you'...

In Gear Swap » WTB: Brunton ADC Summit
August 27, 8:00am

Re: Patagonia R1 Jacket. The hype?
+1 to all that was said above. I bought the R1 hoody a couple years back thinking it would be great for winter camping. It's not terrible; I wore it on two trips and the deep zip does allow f...

In GEAR » Patagonia R1 Jacket. The hype?
August 26, 10:31am

All Reader Reviews by Jim MacDiarmid

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
I ordered a Gorilla backpack from Gossamer Gear. It's my first venture into UL packs. I ordered a medium, and after trying it on for a few days and not finding it completely comfortable, I worri...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 15, 5:39pm