BPL Community Profile

Jim MacDiarmid (jrmacd) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Jim MacDiarmid hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Jim MacDiarmid has not added a biography yet.
CityNYC
StateNY
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Winter Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim MacDiarmid

Showing 161 - 170 of 1076 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...108

Forum » Thread

down v. synthetics
Well, it depends on how long the OP plans on staying out in temps requiring a 15-20 degree bag. I'm far from an expert, but certainly for overnighters a down bag would seen the best solutio...

In GEAR » Best 15F-20F synthetic sleeping bag?
August 29, 3:09pm

Re: Telltale signs your kit has evolved.
For a 5 day/4 night trip, I'm going to be carrying 15lbs less in total pack weight (I didn't know what 'baseweight' was back then so this is food + gear) than I did on my first over...

In Philosophy & Technique » Telltale signs your kit has evolved.
August 28, 11:29am

Re: ROI of upgrading
You buy the best, lightest gear you can afford that suits your purposes. When you have an inflexible budget, your dollars/oz savings method is as good as any. I've used that method myself whe...

In GEAR » ROI of upgrading
August 27, 2:26pm

Re: Filter for Platy Big Zip
Sure, the Frontier Pro will hook right up to the end of the tube. I use a Frontier Pro with a 2L platy for all my filtration needs. I used it to drink directly from the bladder, but you could als...

In GEAR » Filter for Platy Big Zip
August 27, 10:11am

Re: How Long
A week to you + 3-5 days shipping to me would be fine. I just need it by mid-September. My trip is the first week of October, and I'd like a week or two to figure out how it works. PM with d...

In Gear Swap » WTB: Brunton ADC Summit
August 27, 8:14am

WTB: Brunton ADC Summit
Looking for a new toy to track temperature, etc on an upcoming trip. Best price I can find is ~$72 shipped. I'll pay $60 shipped (zip code 10023)for like-new used model. So long as you'...

In Gear Swap » WTB: Brunton ADC Summit
August 27, 8:00am

Re: Patagonia R1 Jacket. The hype?
+1 to all that was said above. I bought the R1 hoody a couple years back thinking it would be great for winter camping. It's not terrible; I wore it on two trips and the deep zip does allow f...

In GEAR » Patagonia R1 Jacket. The hype?
August 26, 10:31am

Re: Re: Re: Who Makes Down Hoods?
I just ended up wrapping my Ex Light down jacket around my head when I slept A classic 'duh' moment; I'm bringing my UL Down Inner Parka along as insulation. I was thinking that I ...

In GEAR » Who Makes Down Hoods?
August 25, 10:30am

Re: blackrock gear
Yes, after I posted I remembered the Black Rock Beanie. Thinking out loud, I wonder if the Beanie in combo with a hoodie (patagonia R1 or BPL Beartooth) would be enough? The advantage of ...

August 24, 2:51pm

Who Makes Down Hoods?
I'm looking for a down hood to supplement my quilt when the temps drop below freezing. Above that I've found myself okay with the hood of my hoody and a beanie if I need more. I know of:...

August 24, 2:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim MacDiarmid

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
I ordered a Gorilla backpack from Gossamer Gear. It's my first venture into UL packs. I ordered a medium, and after trying it on for a few days and not finding it completely comfortable, I worri...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 15, 5:39pm