Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim MacDiarmid (jrmacd) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Jim MacDiarmid hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Jim MacDiarmid has not added a biography yet.
CityNYC
StateNY
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Winter Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim MacDiarmid

Showing 161 - 170 of 1087 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...109

Forum » Thread

Re: Importance of diverisfying insulation types
I've been thinking about this as well. I'm going on my first extended trip, with likely overnight temps in the 25-32F range, but since it's the mountains(Sierras)in October, I could ea...

In GEAR » Importance of diverisfying insulation types
September 14, 6:31am

Re: Tahoe Rim Trail early October
Thanks for the heads up on the campground near Tahoe Meadows(Mt Rose?) I was actually planning on stopping there. I guess I'll stay somewhere in Tahoe Meadows. My understanding though is that...

In Gear Lists » Tahoe Rim Trail early October
September 12, 7:43pm

Sleeping Cool?
It does help if you sleep cool instead By sleeping cool, this means not using a bag overly warm for conditions( a -10*F bag in 10*F temperatures), thereby preventing excessive sweating? As ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Winter camping=damp bag. Why?
September 10, 7:37am

Re: I am going solo but?
I'm just curious since I'm not familiar with the area, but what sort of bad things can happen? Anything different from a normal hike; injury, sickness, getting lost etc? I'm going...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I am going solo but?
September 01, 12:31pm

Re: Re: Maps not matching up
I'm glad I posted this; I can accept that there's slop in maps, I just didn't realize there was. I guess I was sort of technology-blinded in this case; I assumed with GPS and what ...

In GEAR » Maps not matching up
September 01, 6:28am

Maps not matching up
I started planning my Tahoe Rim Trail Hike using the National Geographic Tahoe Basin map. I planned out my days all the way around, and came up about 5 miles short of the TRT Associations 165 offi...

In GEAR » Maps not matching up
August 31, 8:03pm

Comparing warmth
Have a look at this chart by Richard Nisley. There's a lot of science and it's helpful to read all the follow-up posts, but at a glance it gives you an idea of how some of the jackets you ...

In GEAR » MB Thermawrap vs Ex-light/UL Down inner vs Alpine Light
August 31, 10:53am

Re: Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
I have a bad habit of spending my way in to a new pursuit. If you've spent any time on Gear Swap, you can see that your problem is not ucommon to the rest of us. It's so exhilirating...

In GEAR » Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
August 31, 9:28am

Re: Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
+1 to what Christ said about knowing the size of the rest of your kit before settling for good on a pack. Like you, I discovered BPL shortly after I got back into backpacking a couple years ago, a...

In GEAR » Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
August 31, 6:38am

Re: Durability of BPL UL Merino under Pack Straps+ back sweat management
You might know this, since you are thinking of getting the BPL UL Merino over the Smartwool Microweight, but the Smartwool microweight is the same 150 gram/m wool as the BPL Beartooth, vs the 115 g...

In GEAR » Durability of BPL UL Merino under Pack Straps
August 30, 6:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim MacDiarmid

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
I ordered a Gorilla backpack from Gossamer Gear. It's my first venture into UL packs. I ordered a medium, and after trying it on for a few days and not finding it completely comfortable, I worri...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 15, 5:39pm