BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 161 - 170 of 557 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Surplus m-1949 sleeping bag. What do I do with it?
Build a collection of vintage military field equipment around it...

In Make Your Own Gear » Surplus m-1949 sleeping bag. What do I do with it?
September 16, 8:36pm

Re: Long Range Traverse, Gros Morne National Park
Great report. I've always wanted to go to Gros Morne National Park ever since reading an article in Backpacker Magazine in 1977. What gear did you carry? I'm curious if you were able to ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Long Range Traverse, Gros Morne National Park
September 14, 7:59pm

Re: 1 day Presi Traverse - water stops?
+1 on what Ryan says. I will add that earlier this summer, I stopped at the spring near the Gulfside Trail on the side of Mt Clay. The spring was flowing, but it was hard to get debris-free wate...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 1 day Presi Traverse - water stops?
September 11, 7:24am

Re: Re: Re: Need some good advice on large water carry
From the description, I'm guessing that you are refering to Hill Country State Natural Area. I've been there a number of times -- it's a small enough park that leaving water in your car...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Need some good advice on large water carry
September 06, 11:02am

Re: Car Rentals
There are various shuttles from the Denver airport to popular areas -- I've just never quite figured out to make that option work for me. I also like the flexibility of having a vehicle...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Driving to the High Mountains from Michigan
August 28, 12:17pm

Re: Driving to the High Mountains from Michigan
The one downside to flying into Denver -- car rentals are expensive, unless you can find a deal...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Driving to the High Mountains from Michigan
August 28, 11:41am

Re: Re: Smokies considering charging for backcountry camping
>2. Maybe a better idea would be to charge a minimal fee to the 9 million visitors a year. Seems like that would raise a lot more money and could be used for trail maintenance, more rangers, etc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Smokies considering charging for backcountry camping
August 15, 7:55pm

Re: Maroon Bells list - hack away
I'll be in that same area later in the week. Maybe I'll run into you. I would take the Fugu, and leave the Cocoon pants at home. I think your bag is warm enough to skip the Cap 2 or 3 bo...

In Gear Lists » Maroon Bells list - hack away
August 05, 9:36pm

Re: Maroon Bells off trail advice
@Michael -- 1. Pierre Lakes basin to Snowmass Lake via Heckert Pass. Would there still be significant snow in late Aug? I've read a trip report that features this route. I can't remember...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Maroon Bells off trail advice
August 05, 9:26pm

Re: LW Candy!?
Lindt 90% cocoa bar. Tastes great. 150 calories per ounce...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » LW Candy!?
July 29, 10:55am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm