BPL Community Profile

Jason Brinkman (jbrinkmanboi) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Idaho
About Me I backpack, hike, raft, hunt, fish, mountain bike, ski, snowshoe, trail run, etc.
CityBoise
StateIdaho
CountryUnited States
My PDF Gear ListRocky Mountain Summer 3-day Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jason Brinkman

Showing 161 - 170 of 499 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...50

Forum » Thread

Re: lightest technique to improve water taste?
Thanks Roger. I should be more careful to make sure that my posts read completely. I was only recommending the Frontier Pro as a method to improve taste, not to make water safe to drink. I was...

In GEAR » lightest technique to improve water taste?
June 08, 4:34pm

Re: lightest technique to improve water taste?
To improve taste, you pretty much need to filter through carbon. There is no portable ozone system that I am aware of yet. Aquamira makes the Frontier Pro Filter that weighs less than 2 ounces....

In GEAR » lightest technique to improve water taste?
June 08, 3:32pm

Re: Kind of an OT but Crocs?
I own a pair of those, and took them as camp shoes on a week long hike once. I agree that they are too heavy and too bulky. So bulky that they had to be strapped on the outside of my pack (ugly)....

In GEAR » Kind of an OT but Crocs?
June 08, 3:19pm

Two sided silcon coating on silnylon?
I would like to know this too. Some of the silnylon I have worked with seems to have a shiny side, but not all. Not sure if that's from the weave, the coating, both, or neither.

In GEAR » ground sheet
June 08, 3:14pm

Re: BB wind-up fan
Does it get very hot under there? Would you need a metal fan to avoid melting plastic? Might make sourcing more difficult.

In GEAR » Bushbuddy Ultra
June 08, 3:12pm

Re: Anyone have/tried the new MSR E-wing?
I do not have one, but I studied it a bunch, and even folded up another tarp into that size/shape of the E-wing so that I could play around with it. I had the same concerns as you. I ultimately f...

In GEAR » Anyone have/tried the new MSR E-wing?
June 07, 11:48pm

Re: The Bivy: Netting or No Netting?
I would not personally own a bivy without netting. Some places I backpack are very mosquito prone, and I would go crazy without it. There are other options like headnets, but I find the sewn-in n...

In GEAR » The Bivy: Netting or No Netting?
June 07, 11:38pm

Re: tarp setup w/o poles?
Mike, Do you have a website showing off your wares?

In GEAR » Tarp Setup, No Poles - Techniques
June 07, 11:20pm

Re: Tarp Setup, No Poles - Techniques
I applaude the effort, and great pics! I have a buddy that basically rolls himself up in a tarp like a burrito. Doesn't breathe worth a dang, but he seems to do fine and he doesn't need...

In GEAR » Tarp Setup, No Poles - Techniques
June 07, 11:18pm

Re: Connecting 2 Small Tarps / Ponchos
Sounds possible. You will probably need to make the connection be along the ridgeline. You could run a double row of snaps on each poncho - say one right along the edge, and another 4 to 6 inches...

In Philosophy & Technique » Connecting 2 Small Tarps / Ponchos
June 07, 10:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Jason Brinkman

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I've had zero problems with my Firesteel. It always throws a reliable and predictably shaped spark fan. Lights stoves or fires easily. Lighting a fire does require a dry tinder material (found ...

In Cookware - Other
July 24, 10:18am

REI Minimalist Bivy Sack
I picked up a REI Minimalist Bivy in size long to try out. The long also has added girth, which is great. I slept in it twice in my backyard proving ground. Both times were clear, low humidity night...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 09, 11:53pm

clif shot bloks/jelly belly sport beans various flavors
Tried the Shot Bloks (pina colada and black cherry) for the first time on a trip in Hells Canyon last weekend. I found the texture and flavor to be VERY appealing, and the calorie density is acceptab...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
May 09, 11:26pm

Black Diamond Spire Elliptical Trekking Poles
I was intrigued by these initially because of the ellipical shafts - definitely seem stronger/stiffer on the principle axis than comparable weight round poles. I was willing to live with the 20 oz pe...

In Trekking Poles
February 28, 11:57pm