BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 161 - 170 of 1855 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: weight of cord
Weight, weight, weight, weight... It is FAR easier to set up some rather permanent lines on my tarp with lopps at either end than using fiddly adjustments. Even knots can be time consuming and t...

In Philosophy & Technique » guyline adjustment strategies--line-locs vs adjustable knots
February 14, 1:59pm

Re: Re: Floors
Silnylon. If it starts leaking, just reseal it. I agree with Jerry. Like other have said, cuben is not very abraision resistant. Floors are generally the area of most damage with a tent. It will...

In GEAR » cuben vs. silnylon for a tent floor
February 13, 11:40am

Vaseline-soaked Cotton Balls
I almost never need a fire starter. I like to have a fire, but it isn't really necessary most of the time. In cold weather, rain and for drying out stuff, I agree. A fire is really needed. It d...

In Editor's Roundtable » Vaseline-soaked Cotton Balls
February 13, 5:44am

Hyperlite Mountain Gear UltaMid 2 Shelter Review
A fair review. I would have liked more on the basic construction and layout. EG: cat cut, type of seams as mentioned above. Cuben is generally stitched and glued for maximum strength. Hard to tell ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Hyperlite Mountain Gear UltaMid 2 Shelter Review
February 12, 12:28pm

Re: Broken Link to the HMG Ultramid Review :-(
Reported this earlier this morn...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Broken Link to the HMG Ultramid Review :-(
February 12, 6:17am

Re: Montbell bag stretchiness
I have an old ULSS #0 (good to about 10F) that I use in early spring, late fall. They are quite comfortable with a good pad. (I use a NightLite and NeoAir, inside when it is that cold.) As far as I...

In GEAR » Montbell bag stretchiness
February 12, 4:41am

Re: Re: Location
Yeah, like Dale says, sometimes there is nothing you can do. Around the dew point, you will get condensation. Grass, leaves, and other plant growth (even fungi) will all transpire or breath, puttin...

In GEAR » Tarp Condensation
February 12, 4:24am

Re: Do sub 3.0 oz baselayer bottoms actually exist?
If you are talking super light weight, 2-3oz range, then you always expect to sacrifice some performance. I don't believe it is possible to weave a 1/16" thick cloth from materials that wi...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Do sub 3.0 oz baselayer bottoms actually exist?
February 12, 3:26am

Re: Gear List Project: FEEDBACK Appeciated!
Many years ago, the wife would set up gear lists for us. I would pack. Invariably, I would need to shuffle gear from pack to pack to get things to fit. She never considered the volume of a piece of...

In GEAR » Gear List Project: FEEDBACK Appeciated!
February 12, 2:34am

Re: Humbling
Ha, ha....yeah. I think it is rather funny, myself. It just proves that they apply to everything.

In Make Your Own Gear » Flowcharts for complicated projects
February 10, 11:47am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am