BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 161 - 170 of 1782 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...179

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Can a plain cylindrical windscreen be the pot support?
There are a couple things that do not favor doing it that way, but it can certainly be done. You would loose the airflow around the sides. As the heat shoots around the corners, it sets up a sma...

In Make Your Own Gear » Can a plain cylindrical windscreen be the pot support?
November 19, 2:28pm

Re: Never used a tarp. Deciding to use it for a long distance hike...
Well, using a tarp is somewhat of a personal choice. There isn't a lot of difference between a tent and a tarp. Basicaly, they both provide a roof over your head in bad weather. Besides the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Never used a tarp. Deciding to use it for a long distance hike...
November 19, 6:35am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hygiene
dk, I agree, though, I am not a microbiologist, just a couple years of study many years ago. The basic "you cannot catch something from yourself" rule is about what I follow. e.Coli is o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia Outbreak
November 16, 11:27am

Re: Re: Re: re: new Reactor
"...just last week I dropped of a 1/2 gallon of old white gas..." WG is pretty stable in a sealed container...no additives to help a car engine run that also break down over time. Can...

In GEAR » The New, Lighter 1.0L MSR Reactor
November 14, 5:23am

Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft
Ike, A really nice report. I was planning a trip out this fall but got tied up with other things...dam-it. This was a different route. I have done bothe the NPT and NFCT but not up the Cold River. ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft
November 13, 5:43am

Wind Screen/Heat Shield
Well, we can agree that the galvinization is bad for you. There are a lot of design components to screens. For such a simple device you would think they don't do a lot. Heat losses right thr...

In Make Your Own Gear » Wind Screen
November 11, 6:22am

Re: MontBell Plasma 1000 Down Jacket Review
Good review, and Thanks, Will!

In Editor's Roundtable » MontBell Plasma 1000 Down Jacket Review
November 07, 10:40pm

Re: Re: Galv.?
Yeah, avoid galvanized.

In Make Your Own Gear » Wind Screen
November 07, 4:19am

Re: Tea ball report 2
Hey, Bolster, yes, a dash of salt to a pot works well. I had heard that the egg shells attract some of the oils making the coffee less bitter. I don't know. Like the above Cowboy Coffee, I f...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Making a Cup from Ground Coffee
November 07, 4:16am

Re: Re: Re: Safest alcohol for stoves - US perspective
I don't know of any *commercial* stoves. But I know Hikin Jim had quite a problem getting ethanol to burn in a series of stoves he was working on a few years ago. I believe he decided to go ...

In GEAR » Safest alcohol for stoves - US perspective
November 06, 4:23pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am