BPL Community Profile

joe newton (holdfast) - BPL Guest

My Locale Bergen, Norway
About Me 40 years old and currently living in Bergen, Norway although originally from England.
My Website URLhttp://thunderinthenight.blogspot.com/
My PDF Gear ListDownload my Gear List (PDF)

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by joe newton

Showing 161 - 170 of 199 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Forum » Thread

So close...
I agree. The new Rab looks very good and is almost there but when will someone manufacture a pull-over in eVent with the correct feature set: a really good hood and no pockets. Seriously, how hard ...

In GEAR » New 10 ounce Rab e-Vent waterproof
July 23, 3:26pm

Hut Hiking in Norway - your chance to go uberlight!
As Roger said above the DNT offices in any other the major cities will provide all the maps and up-to-the-minute information you could possibly need. The huts are astonishingly well equipped (wood ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Hut Hiking in Norway
July 14, 2:05pm

Gaiter mod
I was just about to try the same mod on my Inov8 gaiters. No sewing machine though so it'll be my best attempt at hand sewing!

In Make Your Own Gear » Mont-bell stretch gaiter mod.
July 14, 10:06am

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Sleeping Pad Review - believe/don't believe the hype (depending on what hype you read)
I've just returned from a four day trip over the Hardanger mountain plateau in western Norway. I took short NeoAir for the first time. I put my pack under my legs and ran the NeoAir at around 5...

In Editor's Roundtable » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Sleeping Pad Review
July 12, 2:37pm

Re: "Nalgene bottles, worth their weight"
I use a 500ml Wide Mouth Nalgene bottle in conjunction with a Platypus soft canteen. The Platypus is used for storing water and the Nalgene is used as a drinking mug, measuring jug (prevents dehydr...

In GEAR » Nalgene bottles, worth their weight
March 10, 2:34am

Re: Groovy-Biotic Cooking steamed muffins
Nick - the ingredients are listed in Mike's article and discussed further in the posts above. Greg & Nia - I started using the individual pleated silicone muffin cups that Mike suggested...

In Editor's Roundtable » Groovy-Biotic Cooking: Quick, Healthy Meals with an Ultralight Cook Kit
March 04, 9:00am

Re: "How many people on here are actually using Innov(8)s?"
I use a pair of Roclite 315s for trail running and the Flyroc 310s for hiking. The Flyroc models, along with the Terrocs I believe, have a wider toe box than the Roclites. The Roclite sole is so...

In GEAR » How many people on here are actually using Innov's?
March 02, 8:52am

Re: "Making the case for lighter footwear"
Perhaps it's time BPL carried out some testing!

In GEAR » Making the case for lighter footwear
January 30, 7:29am

Re: "Shoes for New Zealand - Flyroc 310, Roclite 305s, Montrail Hardrock or other"
I wear Flyroc 310s and Roclite 315s here in Norway. The Roclite sole definitely has more grip and the midsole is slightly more cushioned but the toebox is narrower. I now use the 315 purely for tra...

In GEAR » Shoes for New Zealand - Flyroc 310, Roclite 305s, Montrail Hardrock or other
January 30, 2:45am

Re: "Salomon XA Comp 3 Trail Runners"
Cheers Greg! I'll be in touch if I don't have any joy with the local shops.

In GEAR » Salomon XA Comp 3 Trail Runners
January 25, 1:07pm

All Reader Reviews by joe newton

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
Pretty much the bible when it comes to winter backcountry travel and camping, and not just on skis. Knowledgeable, interesting, humorous and Mike's illustrations are cute and technically astute. ...

In Books and Media
June 13, 11:31am

Terra Nova Laser Competition
Couldn't agree more with the other reviewer. It's a cinch to set up and while there are a couple of obvious tiny compromises to keep the weight low (single zip on the door, etc) it really is a...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
July 16, 11:03am

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased the Short version of this much lauded/derided sleeping mat and have to say it proved to be nothing less than exceptional. I'm a smidge over 6 feet and around 190lbs and once I realised...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 15, 3:10pm

Inov-8 Debrisgaiter
I agree with Sam's review above. The Inov-8 Debris Gaiter is almost perfect. The fit and functionality of the product was just what I was looking for when trail running and backpacking. Stretch...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 22, 4:04am

Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spoon
I swapped my previously beloved Primus folding Ti spork for the Alphalight spoon (long version) for a couple of reasons. The Alphalight is longer (no more messy knuckles when eating freeze-dried meals...

In Cookware - Other
May 22, 3:34am

Montane Lite-speed
I've been wearing this jacket for over a year now and it gets used maybe three times a week for hiking, backpacking, road and trail running. It is light, packable and just weather resistant enough...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 22, 3:22am

Optimus (Brunton in US) Folding Ti Spork
I already had a Light My Fire plastic spork which worked perfectly well, weighed next to nothing, cost a couple of quid but kept getting lost in my food/cooking bag. When I was looking to 'streaml...

In Cookware - Titanium
July 28, 6:19am