BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 161 - 170 of 1154 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...116

Forum » Thread

Why reinvent the wheel?
I just gave Alex a link from some women who did a South American traverse (using REI sleeping bags augmented with insulate clothing) in her other thread and then called it a day. http://eathikes...

In On the Web » REI HAS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PLANET!
April 23, 10:27am

Re: Beyond Our Boundaries: Episode 4
Storing everything while gone for so long makes sense but like the return plan (take over a lease as another family departs on their adventure).

In Editor's Roundtable » Beyond Our Boundaries: Episode 4
April 22, 10:50pm

Apocalypse Cow (segment)
This is going to be the tough part about giving up 24-hr cable news cycle .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W1SUt7Y7FSA Ed. maybe a tad harsh at the very end.. b...

In Chaff » Bundy......A True American Hero?
April 22, 7:30pm

Tres chicas South American traverse gear lists
Look at these women's gear lists traversing South America. What they did was pair a lightweight sleeping bag (REI type stuff - not the custom variable length quilts) with down pants, light fle...

In GEAR » TENT, SLEEPING BAG AND STOVE SUGGESTIONS.
April 21, 10:54pm

Re: WTB: Zpacks Arc Blast
What size? The Arc Blast is a framed pack with no real adjustments.

In Gear Swap » WTB: Zpacks Arc Blast
April 20, 10:46am

Starting a long adventure made simple
@ Jennifer et al: the quote in the OP says it all http://andrewskurka.com/2012/how-i-make-a-living-as-an-adventurer/ Q: What is just as effective as making money? A: Not spending money. It...

In Philosophy & Technique » How I Make a Living as an Adventurer
April 20, 3:34am

Re: The down in an Exped down mat UL7
That's 700 fill down, so it's pretty fine stuff anyways and under pressure in a sleeping mat being used? The old MYOG types would be careful working around the stuff go it didn't cov...

In GEAR » The down in an Exped down mat UL7
April 18, 6:05pm

Re: Re: An actual cell phone mass outage
.."adding it's the users fault if they let the technology control them" Well lah tee dah! You may jest but cell coverage is increasing in the backwoods (one thing I track durin...

In Chaff » Random thoughts on Mortality and iPhones
April 18, 2:41pm

An actual cell phone mass outage
Dave said ... People are tethered permanently to their phones...like an umbilical cord but not temporarily...it is sad to see a group of people or friends not talking to each other but glued to th...

In Chaff » Random thoughts on Mortality and iPhones
April 18, 12:50pm

Re: RE: I probably have Giardia.. and it's no fun :-(
... Thus it is very important to wash your hands before food preparation, even if you are just cooking for yourself. Can someone verify this? ... Bacteria are ubiquitous (all sorts of spec...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I probably have Giardia.. and it's no fun :-(
April 18, 11:59am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.