BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt vs. snow-stuff in the Rockies ... decisions, decisions
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 161 - 170 of 1226 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...123

Forum » Thread

Campsite Rage Cures
Ear plugs plus long duration hippy music on the iPod. The last Neil Young song I downloaded was 27 minutes. If it helps, the same thing can happen even in decent hotels ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Campsite Rage Cure?
June 28, 8:40pm

Re: Desolation Wldrns 6/17 - 6/20 (Middle Velma, Schmidell, and back)"
Great pics. Caught the essence of being there ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Desolation Wldrns 6/17 - 6/20 (Middle Velma, Schmidell, and back)
June 28, 2:07pm

24 Black Range NM McKnight to Mimbres bushwhack thru fire damage ... and a bear poo monument
I returned from a quick 24 in the Gila's “Black Range” (Aldo Leopold Wilderness) of New Mexico, right in the middle of the burn left by the “Silver” Fire. The Gila National Forest is d...

In Post-Trip Reports » 24 Black Range NM McKnight to Mimbres bushwhack thru fire damage ... and a bear poo monument
June 28, 1:47pm

Re: Re: Re: Hike locally
Hike locally but the plane is flying in any case. Not like they are going to cancel the flight if I decide to cancel, so that fuel is getting burned regardless. The news reported a pilots shortag...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
June 27, 1:39pm

Re: Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
It's a balance thing. An online calculator helps to determine if it's cheaper/more convenient to fly/bus (normally in conjunction with the holidays) vs. take my mid-size 4WD SUV, which I ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
June 27, 1:27pm

Re: no sleep bag camping
I've only tried it with a low in the mid-50's (tropical humid, Hawaii) and even then I draped a fleece over my head in order to sleep in.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » no sleep bag camping
June 09, 5:52pm

Trailriders
Didn't get that high due to snow. The fire pretty much stayed on the south-facing slope draining into Jack's Creek. Going west from Jack's Ck towards Panchuelta it was worse. Still I...

In Post-Trip Reports » Pecos wilderness post burn status 2014
June 05, 7:37pm

Pecos wilderness post burn status 2014
After 2 fires last year in the Pecos wilderness right outside Santa Fe, N.M. I was curious how hiking was affected. I also had some new photo tools but not really working for this TR, so I will ju...

In Post-Trip Reports » Pecos wilderness post burn status 2014
June 05, 3:48pm

Re: Rocky Mountain National Park: bear cannisters now required?
..I don't mean to be a rule-breaker, but what are the consequences of not using a bear cannister? Will one be fined by the state? National Park service? My buddies who have run afoul of Gr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Rocky Mountain National Park: bear cannisters now required?
June 02, 6:25pm

Re: 2014 PCT Blogs
Looks like they are all coping with Sierra snow one way or another. Not a blog but here's a very recent article interviewing Heather "Anish" Anderson who holds the unsupported re...

In On the Web » 2014 PCT Blogs
June 01, 6:00pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.