BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking about 98. Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit faster iot experience scenic hikes. Done with my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangable UL to semi SUL whatever that is).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 161 - 170 of 988 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...99

Forum » Thread

Re: Sharing (Or Not) Locations and Logistics on the Web.
Really depends. On the coast, there are so many people, you may want to keep your nature stash secret. In the interior west, most are drawn to the high-points (along crests and going up to peaks...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sharing (Or Not) Locations and Logistics on the Web.
November 12, 9:49am

Prolite SOLD
Prolite SOLD

In Gear Swap » FS: ULA Catalyst, Prolite short
November 09, 7:07pm

When to retire or semi-retire...
..I realized that especially if you don't have kids and don't have adventures...what the hell are we doing all this for?? Hit the nail right on the head for singles with no offspring,...

In Chaff » I want to be a millennial when I retire...
November 09, 4:29pm

FS: ULA Catalyst - SOLD
** UPDATED in new thread with other packs (see my profile)** Selling via Paypal with shipping to CONUS addressees only. Will ship after Paypal payment confirmed. ULA Catalyst SOLD ** P...

In Gear Swap » FS: ULA Catalyst, Prolite short
November 09, 3:03pm

Re: I want to be a millennial when I retire...
Pretty good commentary but it sounds like the article Max is single without children. Once the hatchlings (i.e. children) arrive, the bills start to mount, ... meaning the vast majority must work ...

In Chaff » I want to be a millennial when I retire...
November 08, 1:25pm

Re: September Trip to the Winds
Great pics and write up, answering some questions I had about the Winds. Thanks.

In Post-Trip Reports » September Trip to the Winds
November 04, 12:41pm

Hiking by moonlight
It is very different. Got out of Saguaro Natl Park (Tucson AZ) the other day by moonlight as even the half-moon illuminated my shelter and surroundings. Since I couldn't sleep anymore, I hik...

In Philosophy & Technique » Winter backpacking: Hike nights, sleep days?
November 02, 9:37pm

Dri-down .. Re: How easy is it to wet down?
Roger said … ...For a start, many have noted that with a good DWR on the surface fabric, it is actually quite hard to get down gear wet. I guess if you cowboy camp on top of a mountain while...

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering on water resistant down and Pertex fabric
November 02, 10:51am

Re: Seriously...Zimmerbuilt packs are awesome....
If you know what you want in the UL sphere, the quality of those packs are pretty awesome.

In GEAR » Seriously...Zimmerbuilt packs are awesome....
November 01, 6:56pm

Umbrellas and the destagnation of the cottage gear industry
Drusilla said: ..The hail got to be marble sized, three inches deep and went on for 45 minutes! Without that umbrella life would have been miserable and bruising....it kept us both sheltered and r...

In GEAR » The Pros and Cons of Backpacking Umbrellas
November 01, 10:40am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.