BPL Community Profile

Stephen Barber (grampa) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale SoCal
About Me Stephen Barber has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Barber

Showing 161 - 170 of 1306 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...131

Forum » Thread

re: simple code of conduct
"PUX has a two rules: 1. Be nice 2. No discussion of the 3 G's (God, guns, and government)" Now there's a good set of rules! Covers everything, and doesn't get compli...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL wants input on proposed forum code of conduct
November 04, 9:39am

re: giardia transmission
Buck sez: "There have been several studies showing a link between untreated water from lakes and streams and giardiasis. I don't know of any showing a DIRECT link between dirty backpacker...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » POP QUIZ
November 02, 11:54am

tripod bike
They also make tripod bikes - call 'em three wheelers. Either two wheels in back, one in front, or one wheel in back and two in front. The best ones are recumbents. Put a camera mount on the ha...

In GEAR » Would you carry a tripod on a bike tour?
November 01, 3:25pm

re: Re: Re: Re: S Calif: San Gorgonio Wilderness Backpacking
Nice job, Jim! I read it yesterday. Given the fire on San Jacinto, I've been thinking I needed to do more on San Gorgonio next summer. I'm sure I'm not the only one! Hopefully your guid...

In Pre-Trip Planning » S Calif: San Gorgonio Wilderness Backpacking
October 31, 3:28pm

Re: Expensive windshirts vs cheap ones
For decades I used cheap windbreakers, usually from places I worked. My only requirement of them was the "Darth Vader" breath test above. They all worked, to one degree or another. But...

In GEAR » Expensive windshirts vs cheap ones
October 31, 10:50am

Re: Introverts and recorders
Hmmm. As another 100% introvert, I can't imagine myself talking on a recorder, or listening to myself again afterwards. I go to the hills to escape voices, and to record them.

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking With A Voice Recorder
October 28, 11:29pm

Re: Backpacking With A Voice Recorder
It's always nice for an extrovert to have someone (or something) to talk to, even when alone in the woods.

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking With A Voice Recorder
October 28, 8:24pm

re: trout Warning
Unless there is a mine up stream of the lake, I doubt that this warning would be truly applicable to Sierra high country lakes.

In Fishing » Cooking Trout
October 27, 11:06pm

Re: Leave them in the lake
Any non-native trout (and even rainbows in the Sierras can be non-native) taken from a lake means a better chance for yellow-legged frogs!

October 27, 3:58pm

Frying vs. poaching
A number of people have mentioned that fried trout taste better than poached trout. There's a reason for that: Flavor is spelled F-A-T. Fats and oil pick up, enhance, and increase flavor. That&...

October 25, 5:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Barber

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

SmarTube Drinking System for Bottles
Since having a hydration bladder spring a leak inside my pack, I have avoided all such bladders. I stuck to simple water bottles until a couple of years ago when I ran across the SmarTube - a drinking...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
May 13, 1:33pm

ZPacks Sleeping Bag 40* and 20*
This is the side sleepers dream bag! The bags are filled with 900 fill power goose down, outer shell is green .95 oz/sq yd Pertex Quantum ripstop nylon, and the liner is black .67 oz/sq yd nylon. ...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
July 25, 9:25pm

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad
Upon receipt of the pad, I inflated it to sleeping firmness, and stood it up against the bookcase. An hour later it looked rather soft; three hours later it was in a pile on the floor. Brand new, and ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
January 24, 11:49pm

Lawson Equipment Customer Service
I've purchased from Lawson on several different occasions. I've always gotten excellent service, fast shipping (especially considering I live clear across the country!), and good interaction v...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 20, 11:47am

ULA Catalyst
I've spent the last two years trying to find a pack that is both light and comfortable, ie, transfers weight to the hip bones well. To date, i had found packs that were only one but not the other ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
June 04, 8:11pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
I was able to pick up a Bushbuddy Ti used, and can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of one! I used it repeatedly this summer and have been absolutely delighted with it! It is probably...

In Stoves - Other
August 18, 11:59am