BPL Community Profile

Stephen Barber (grampa) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale SoCal
About Me Stephen Barber has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Barber

Showing 161 - 170 of 1247 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...125

Forum » Thread

External frame vertical?
Re: "External pack frames, which one can argue are the best for transferring weight to the hips have completely vertical frames. Completely vertical." My old external frames were not c...

In GEAR » Anyone else slightly underwhelmed by ULA packs? [crickets chirping]
August 20, 4:56pm

fish curling
When my kids were little, we lived in northern Canada, in the NWT (much like where David lives, but without salmon or grizzlies!). One "spring" we heard that the ice had broken up and the...

In Fishing » fish related questions
August 19, 5:55pm

fish questions
I'm with David on bleeding - I gave up bonking fish on the head a long time ago. I usually just stick a sharp knife into the throat area, wiggle it back and forth, and the fish is dead and not ...

In Fishing » fish related questions
August 19, 5:26pm

Too small?
To the OP: I understand you've had plenty of experience with packs, but if you were only able to get a 60/40 distribution of weight with a Circuit, I suggest you look at the large sized pack. Y...

In GEAR » Anyone else slightly underwhelmed by ULA packs? [crickets chirping]
August 19, 9:12am

re: Camping in/near Kings Canyon
There are national park campgrounds by Grant's Grove. There is a national forest campground at the turnoff to Hume Lake, and another at Hume Lake. There are a couple national park campground in...

In Community Support Forum » Camping in/near Kings Canyon
August 17, 9:08am

re: most dangerous top 10 hike
Hmmmmm. Probably need ice axe, crampons, and several hundred feet of good climbing rope to make it safely up, eh? Like any "wild" place real near a large metropolitan area, I'...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Outside Mag calls an urban vancouver trail "most dangerous" top 10 hikes in the world
August 15, 7:07pm

Backpacking Tight
The title on the BPL homepage is "Backpacking Tight". Brought to mind a whole different idea than stretchy leg coverings!

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking Tights - Part 1
August 15, 5:57pm

re: Western States PIF box
Hey Rodney I PMed Jeff for his address. I think that's what the East coast folks did too, since nothing of that sort appeared on this thread. Someone suggested taking your name off the list ...

In Gear Swap » New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
August 13, 3:18pm

Western Travelling Hiker Box
Western Travelling Hiker Box is on it's way to Jeff M!

In Gear Swap » New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
August 13, 12:40pm

re: Marmot Plasma 3
I have one, and have used it in the southern Sierras (Golden Trout, Sequoia, etc). Very adequate for the summer. Late September I start thinking about carrying a warmer bag, not so much because...

In GEAR » Marmot Plasma 30
August 12, 9:17pm

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Barber

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ZPacks Sleeping Bag 40* and 20*
This is the side sleepers dream bag! The bags are filled with 900 fill power goose down, outer shell is green .95 oz/sq yd Pertex Quantum ripstop nylon, and the liner is black .67 oz/sq yd nylon. ...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
July 25, 9:25pm

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad
Upon receipt of the pad, I inflated it to sleeping firmness, and stood it up against the bookcase. An hour later it looked rather soft; three hours later it was in a pile on the floor. Brand new, and ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
January 24, 11:49pm

Lawson Equipment Customer Service
I've purchased from Lawson on several different occasions. I've always gotten excellent service, fast shipping (especially considering I live clear across the country!), and good interaction v...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 20, 11:47am

ULA Catalyst
I've spent the last two years trying to find a pack that is both light and comfortable, ie, transfers weight to the hip bones well. To date, i had found packs that were only one but not the other ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
June 04, 8:11pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
I was able to pick up a Bushbuddy Ti used, and can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of one! I used it repeatedly this summer and have been absolutely delighted with it! It is probably...

In Stoves - Other
August 18, 11:59am