BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 161 - 170 of 392 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...40

Forum » Thread

Happy Friday, Everyone!
It's been almost a month since I last hit the trails for the weekend and I'm getting stir crazy. I should have my pack and poles in the corner of my office, totally out of sync in my steri...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Happy Friday, Everyone!
July 29, 7:06am

Soft Shell Pants
I too use REI Mistral pants for cold weather hiking and find them fantastic. If colder than 25 degree highs in the day, I layer with Icebreaker or Smartwool medium-weight leggings. For camp, I pu...

In GEAR » Layering Pants
July 28, 2:50pm

Garner's Modern American Usage
One of the all-time great grammar and style guides. There is a distinct American usage of the English language. http://www.amazon.com/Garners-Modern-American-Usage-Garner/dp/0195382757/ref=sr_1...

In Chaff » Could "have".... Not " of"
July 26, 1:21pm

Poles
Claudio, you might want to experiment at home with broom sticks or anything you can find to approximate the height you might want (even if it's just a couple people holding up the tarp and meas...

In GEAR » SpinnTwinn, tarps in general
July 26, 1:12pm

Ticks
I usually just leave the ticks in. It's easier and is just like donating blood. (I'm joking. I usually just to try pull them out with tweezers and try not to cause them to vomit nastin...

In GEAR » Tick Key
July 26, 9:55am

SpinnTwinn Poles
Claudio, how high are your GG poles? I used a SpinnTwinn for a couple years and found that it could be elevated enough to hang out under -- but you need to have the right poles to do it. Since t...

In GEAR » SpinnTwinn, tarps in general
July 26, 6:40am

Re: Thru-hiking the Jotunheimstien trail (Norway)
Thanks for the great write-up! I'm moving to the general area next year and will be very excited to explore my long trail options. You have me already excited about the planning process -- an...

In Post-Trip Reports » Thru-hiking the Jotunheimstien trail (Norway)
July 25, 9:24am

re: meetup
Leigh, don't worry. You weren't misinterpreted at all. I just figured I should off up an open invite to any BPLers. If you have a gmail account, simply go to the Groups link and start on...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Starting a meetup group for backpackers?
July 23, 11:23am

Re: Meetup
Aaron's right: there's definitely a right way to do meetup, elitist and labor intensive though it may be. I personally just got sick of playing cop and quality control guru and eventually...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Starting a meetup group for backpackers?
July 23, 10:09am

Meetup
I had a pretty cool meetup group for a couple years but eventually I got sick of people who get in over their head with my longer distance weekend trips (even misrepresenting themselves and their h...

July 23, 8:18am

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm