November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me UL Backpacker
My Website URL
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 161 - 170 of 395 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...40

Forum » Thread

Bad Hydropel Experience
So I had a not-so-great Hydropel experience. I decided to proactively use Hydropel on a 3-day, 71 mile trip in May. I applied it to my feet a couple times a day. I don't remember it feel...

In GEAR » Hydropel alternatives
July 29, 1:33pm

Mountain Hardware Kilt
I wear the MH kilt year-round nowadays and absolutely love it. I'm not a kilt purist like Matthew, so I really like it's quick-drying material and perfect pockets. It really can't be ...

In GEAR » Guys: Gear Tested Needed...
July 29, 12:06pm

Are you going to blog/journal/post your thru hike?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Happy Friday, Everyone!
July 29, 9:31am

Happy Friday, Everyone!
It's been almost a month since I last hit the trails for the weekend and I'm getting stir crazy. I should have my pack and poles in the corner of my office, totally out of sync in my steri...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Happy Friday, Everyone!
July 29, 7:06am

Soft Shell Pants
I too use REI Mistral pants for cold weather hiking and find them fantastic. If colder than 25 degree highs in the day, I layer with Icebreaker or Smartwool medium-weight leggings. For camp, I pu...

In GEAR » Layering Pants
July 28, 2:50pm

Garner's Modern American Usage
One of the all-time great grammar and style guides. There is a distinct American usage of the English language.

In Chaff » Could "have".... Not " of"
July 26, 1:21pm

Claudio, you might want to experiment at home with broom sticks or anything you can find to approximate the height you might want (even if it's just a couple people holding up the tarp and meas...

In GEAR » SpinnTwinn, tarps in general
July 26, 1:12pm

I usually just leave the ticks in. It's easier and is just like donating blood. (I'm joking. I usually just to try pull them out with tweezers and try not to cause them to vomit nastin...

In GEAR » Tick Key
July 26, 9:55am

SpinnTwinn Poles
Claudio, how high are your GG poles? I used a SpinnTwinn for a couple years and found that it could be elevated enough to hang out under -- but you need to have the right poles to do it. Since t...

In GEAR » SpinnTwinn, tarps in general
July 26, 6:40am

Re: Thru-hiking the Jotunheimstien trail (Norway)
Thanks for the great write-up! I'm moving to the general area next year and will be very excited to explore my long trail options. You have me already excited about the planning process -- an...

In Post-Trip Reports » Thru-hiking the Jotunheimstien trail (Norway)
July 25, 9:24am

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm