BPL Community Profile

Mina Loomis (elmvine) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me I have been backpacking on and off in the western US since college in the early 1970's. Summer 1970 a bunch of us spent a week in the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon barefoot with blankets, book bags, and no proper gear at all. Now I coordinate youth backpacking for our Camp Fire USA council, and enjoy taking the kids to the mountains. I hope to take up more long distance walking after retirement.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.camp-fire.org
My PDF Gear ListJMT 2011 Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mina Loomis

Showing 161 - 170 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Wonderland Trail
We are planning for a Wonderland Trail trip in July 2009. I think there are probably a number of forum members who are familiar with that area, and there was that article a while back about the No...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Wonderland Trail
March 13, 9:07pm

REI UL pack compression
"Did they stick with the cinch cord compression system? that's the one thing I'll always miss about that pack. fill it, yank on the strap and your golden." Nope. Standard side...

In GEAR » New REI UL pack
February 19, 5:45pm

Nope, no toothpaste
I was brought up on tooth powder, first on some stuff called "pycopay" that my grandparents always used. This was in the 1950's. Later we just mixed half and half baking soda and sa...

In GEAR » Toothpaste
February 15, 10:12pm

Choice of forum
The "G-spot" forum seems to receive a lot of threads that really belong in other forums. Perhaps this is because people read "G-spot" more, or perhaps it's because most any...

In Community Support Forum » Choice of forum
January 28, 10:15am

aluminum poles can break
We have definitely had aluminum poles break, maybe 3 or 4 times over the last few years. Not in the middle, but rather a split beginning from the end of a section, where it goes over the insert fr...

In GEAR » Do you carry a plastic pole repair sleeve?
January 28, 9:59am

Silwing
I have an ID Silwing that we carry most of the time when there are two of us. There's plenty of room for two plus all our stuff. It's easy to set up taut. But it only sets up one way. Y...

In GEAR » Integral Designs Sil Wing vs Gossamer Gear Spinn Twinn
January 25, 10:51pm

downmats, hobitat vestibules, and more in Austin
If you are in central Texas, or if you are near an REI somewhere else and don't mind paying shipping for a store-mailout, the Austin (Gateway) had several Exped Downmats (7's & 9's)...

In Gear Deals » REI 50% off .83
January 18, 10:01pm

Christmas Gear!
SMD Gatewood Cape!

In GEAR » Christmas Gear!
December 30, 9:59pm

Music on the trail
My younger son, then 14, now 17, and his ukulele, on the trail at Lost Maples State Natural Area, Texas. For group trips we have a no-electronics-on-the-trail rule, but we can still have music. W...

In Philosophy & Technique » Music and Backpacking
December 10, 5:04pm

music on the trail
edited

In Philosophy & Technique » Music and Backpacking
December 10, 4:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Mina Loomis

Mina Loomis has posted no reviews.