BPL Community Profile

Kevin Burton (burtonator) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale norcal
About Me 35, male. Software Engineer living in downtown San Francisco.

I'm an intermediate/advanced backpacker. In excellent shape. Love the outdoors.

Avid fisherman. I always carry my rod with me when I am backpacking.

I've climbed Mount Shasta, hiked most of Yosemite, visited Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

I'm going to do a 4 week section hike of the PCT in 2013.

You could say I'm addicted.

I have a bunch of backpacking videos over at

http://youtube.com/user/burtonator
CitySan Francisco
StateCA
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://burtonator.wordpress.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kevin Burton

Showing 161 - 170 of 550 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...55

Forum » Thread

Re: hammock for breaks...
huh... I have a Warbonnet Blackbird but the problem is that setup time takes a bit long. I think what I'm going to do is try optimize this by upgrading to whoppie slings. For now I just ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tales of 20 miles days... or how to do 20 miles and make it effortless.
August 13, 2:53pm

Re: Re: re: 20 miles
> Simplest thing is to hike more or simulate the effort somehow. As a road cyclist my legs and cardio are in shape all the time, it only takes a few hikes each year to get into gear. the more I ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tales of 20 miles days... or how to do 20 miles and make it effortless.
August 13, 2:49pm

Re: Re: Tales of 20 miles days... or how to do 20 miles and make it effortless.
Hey gg-man. I had dehydrated lasagna for dinner (800 cals) and a coconut + sugar drink I make (which was 300-400). I hear what you are saying about breaks. I think if I can get better shoes ...

August 13, 2:17pm

mileage...
I really need to get a better estimate of my mileage. I seem to avg EXACTLY 2 MPH but this is over vastly varying terrain and including breaks.

August 12, 11:10pm

ug
hit post accidentally so sorry about the few typos.

August 12, 9:08pm

Tales of 20 miles days... or how to do 20 miles and make it effortless.
My previous routing, when I had a 35 lb pack, was to hike in 5-8 miles, then setup camp and be done for the day. I now have a 7 lb base weight and find myself wanting to do more and more mil...

August 12, 9:07pm

Cool idea for a trailhead shower for when you get back to the car.
You need three things: - scentless soap - towel - 1L water bottles. (2-3 if you want) Fill the water bottles and keep them in your trunk. When you get back to the car at the end of the ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Cool idea for a trailhead shower for when you get back to the car.
August 09, 12:25pm

Re: Wait times
having a queue also has the advantage that you can re-order the queue and build N components at once. For example, if you get 5 orders for a pack with a specific length belt, you can work on tha...

In GEAR » Why do we have to wait for gear?
August 08, 12:01pm

Re: Why do we have to wait for gear?
Entrepreneur here. It can be hard for smaller companies to prioritize training and scaling out the operation. It means you have to stop what you're doing and train new employees and it seem...

In GEAR » Why do we have to wait for gear?
August 08, 10:28am

Re: Backcountry Navigator Pro
I use BNP too... I like it... it works. You should probably purchase the AccuTerra maps. Couple caveats. 1. use map bundles. Don't store things into the main tile cache. The main ti...

In GEAR » best app for navigation/GPS for a smart phone
August 08, 10:22am

All Reader Reviews by Kevin Burton

Kevin Burton has posted no reviews.