Steven McAllister (brooklynkayak) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Atlantic North East
About Me Outdoors
Expedition kayaking
Backpacking
CityBrooklyn
StateNY
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steven McAllister

Showing 161 - 170 of 1979 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...198

Forum » Thread

World's lightest tee shirt: Rohan Ultra Silver Tee
Googling so far has shown that the silver aspect of fabrics washes away after repeated washing, or at least with the garments they have tested. I suspect it is true with the Rohan shirts as well...

In GEAR » World's lightest tee shirt: Rohan Ultra Silver Tee
August 21, 5:52pm

I'm not going to lie to you, but I do want to try this shirt out as a summer and cool weather base layer shirt. I may just throw away all my cheapo synthetic shirts because of the stink fac...

August 21, 5:33pm

What piece of gear do you lose most often?
Lost a hundred sun and reading glasses and a hundred stakes. By far the most items I loose on the trail.

In GEAR » What piece of gear do you lose most often?
August 21, 5:09pm

Current conversations with JMT hikers
My experience has shown that the salespeople in most outfitters do talk people out of purchasing UL gear. Time and time again I have had sales people try to talk me out of an item that was in st...

In Philosophy & Technique » Current conversations with JMT hikers
August 21, 12:13pm

I have drawer full of ultralight tees. All of the inexpensive ones stink to high heaven after a hike. The exception being the expensive BPL UL merino wool shirt, but being UL it is very fragile ...

August 21, 11:12am

Current conversations with JMT hikers
I also believe that outfitters are big contributor to these heavy packs you see. I don't usually buy from outfitters because of their lack of light hiking gear. Some stores do actually st...

In Philosophy & Technique » Current conversations with JMT hikers
August 21, 6:55am

favorite stakes
P. S. Joe, since you live in NY. I plan on hiking this Monday through Wednesday in Harriman or further north. In case you want to check out my setup. --- I just realized that this is an old pos...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » favorite stakes
August 21, 6:07am

favorite stakes
I use a MLD cuben Patrol most of the time and do much of my hiking in the NY, NJ, CT area, with a little UT, AZ, NM from time to time. My favorite all around stakes are the 9 inch or longer ti-h...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » favorite stakes
August 21, 5:59am

great product, not for my usage
Good points Ito. I can see how it wouldn't be so great when fast hiking. How about as an additional lid to your backpack, or you may already have a pack with a lid compartment? I do not a...

In GEAR » zpacks "multipack"
August 21, 3:42am

zpacks "multipack
@Richard, Yes, I understand it won't act as a full on daypack. Most people have bigger daypacks if they are doing longer hikes. I'm thinking of the less experienced hiker that will be...

In GEAR » zpacks "multipack"
August 20, 12:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Steven McAllister

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

RailRiders Eco-Mesh Clothing
I wear both the shirt and the pants when sun and/or bugs are an issue. They are light, well ventilated and flexible. Mesh ventilated sleeves on the shirt protects arms from bug and sun. Loose fi...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 5:25pm

Melanzana micro grid hoody
Grid fleece is more hydrophobic than standard fleece, but not quite as warm without a shell. Great for cool days. Put a wind shell over the top and you have a warm combination that breaths well and k...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 4:53pm

Integral Designs Silcoat Cape
The biggest complaint that people seem to have about this cape is that it doesn't extend below the knees. I personally prefer this as it works better when hiking in rough terrain or when wearing ...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 08, 10:12am

Mountain Laurel Designs Monk Tarp Spinnaker
This makes a great summer or emergency ultralight shelter. Add a bivy and it could be used year round. I had problems with the durability of the spinnaker version. A couple tie-outs are starting to...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 08, 10:00am

Six Moon Designs Serenity NetTent
Although most people use this combined with the Gatewood Cape, I have used it many times under an Oware Alphamid and I'm sure it would work great under many other pyramid shelters. It is lighter...

November 08, 9:50am

Equinox 8 X 10 silnylon tarp
Although it has grommets instead of tie-outs, the grommets are reinforced and can take abuse. It has mid-point tie-outs that help make it a more versatile shelter. A great step up from the stand...

November 08, 9:41am

Integral Designs Siltarp 2
A good all around tarp. It does not have any mid point tie-outs like Oware and others have. This limits your pitch options, but if all you use is an a-frame or flying diamond pich, this is perfe...

November 08, 9:28am

Oware Flat Tarp 2.5
You will not find a more flexible shelter. Square shape and multiple well placed tie-outs means more pitch options than most shelters. 9'x9' means big enough for a variety of conditions. ...

November 08, 9:23am

Gossamer Gear Spinshelter
The GG Spinnshelter has much of the flexibility of a flat tarp, but easier pitch in a storm-proof mode. It sheds wind well and is fairly roomy when pitched high. You may not be able to fully sit ...

May 25, 9:48am

Gatorade Bottle
On problem with sports drink(Gatorade) bottles is that the cap is made out of a different more brittle material. I have experienced the caps breaking many times from being dropped when full of water. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
June 18, 5:24am