Steven McAllister (brooklynkayak) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Atlantic North East
About Me Outdoors
Expedition kayaking
Backpacking
CityBrooklyn
StateNY
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steven McAllister

Showing 161 - 170 of 2000 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...200

Forum » Thread

Cuben tarp/shelter for 1
If you think you may want to shelter two people from time to time the BearPaw Canopy 2 may be something to consider as well. It's light enough for solo, but has the extra room for another pe...

In GEAR » Cuben tarp/shelter for 1
September 05, 4:39am

cirriform
Jacob, I do find the Meteor bivy to be a good combination with these type of shelters. I usually use a Meteor bivy during the cooler months. It adds warmth and splash/spray/spindrift protect...

September 04, 4:31pm

Cuben tarp/shelter for 1
I have used a lot of UL shelters. If I were going to only own one it would probably be of the two pole beaked A-frame style that others have mentioned. I have had a Golite Shagri-la, GG Spinn...

September 04, 11:05am

Six Moon Designs solo tents
I have put at least 300 miles in a Gatewood/Serenity net combination. The two combined create a double wall tent that works very well in adverse conditions. It always seemed to be rainy and or ...

In GEAR » Six Moon Designs solo tents
September 03, 6:39am

Current conversations with JMT hikers
There are some basic rules of retail sales that come into play here. #1 - If the customer is looking to buy something you stock, you sell it to them, even if you think it is a bad choice. #2 ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Current conversations with JMT hikers
September 03, 5:05am

Alcohol Stoves Reconsidered
Where alcohol has the big advantage is on long hikes where you rarely see an outfitter and most resupplies are from small town hardware stores, gas stations or convenience stores. Alcohol and mu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Alcohol Stoves Reconsidered
August 30, 10:44am

Golite Daypack Sale
DayLite 18L Daypack - About 2/3 the volume of the old Ion. I think I prefer the roll top over the zipper on the Ion. It appears to be ripstop instead the tougher Dyneema grid of the Ion, but on...

In Gear Deals » Golite Daypack Sale
August 30, 4:55am

Re: Soak first, then heat.
Regarding soaking: I usually add about a half cup or so of water to any dehydrated food an hour or two before I think I'll make camp. This adds minimal weight and really speeds up the coo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Alcohol Stoves Reconsidered
August 29, 6:01pm

Teenager wakes up to a wolf chomping his head during a camping trip
It just goes to show that you can't generalize. Sometime animals break their own rules about how they act around people. Yesterday I was hiking near my cabin 35 miles from NYC and came acro...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Teenager wakes up to a wolf chomping his head during a camping trip
August 29, 5:55pm

Off-trail in the Teton Wilderness
Nice trip report. I agree about not posting an exact path. My experience in the area has shown that you don't need a trail and in fact, the best way to experience t is to get off the trai...

In Editor's Roundtable » Off-trail in the Teton Wilderness
August 29, 5:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Steven McAllister

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

RailRiders Eco-Mesh Clothing
I wear both the shirt and the pants when sun and/or bugs are an issue. They are light, well ventilated and flexible. Mesh ventilated sleeves on the shirt protects arms from bug and sun. Loose fi...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 5:25pm

Melanzana micro grid hoody
Grid fleece is more hydrophobic than standard fleece, but not quite as warm without a shell. Great for cool days. Put a wind shell over the top and you have a warm combination that breaths well and k...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 4:53pm

Integral Designs Silcoat Cape
The biggest complaint that people seem to have about this cape is that it doesn't extend below the knees. I personally prefer this as it works better when hiking in rough terrain or when wearing ...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 08, 10:12am

Mountain Laurel Designs Monk Tarp Spinnaker
This makes a great summer or emergency ultralight shelter. Add a bivy and it could be used year round. I had problems with the durability of the spinnaker version. A couple tie-outs are starting to...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 08, 10:00am

Six Moon Designs Serenity NetTent
Although most people use this combined with the Gatewood Cape, I have used it many times under an Oware Alphamid and I'm sure it would work great under many other pyramid shelters. It is lighter...

November 08, 9:50am

Equinox 8 X 10 silnylon tarp
Although it has grommets instead of tie-outs, the grommets are reinforced and can take abuse. It has mid-point tie-outs that help make it a more versatile shelter. A great step up from the stand...

November 08, 9:41am

Integral Designs Siltarp 2
A good all around tarp. It does not have any mid point tie-outs like Oware and others have. This limits your pitch options, but if all you use is an a-frame or flying diamond pich, this is perfe...

November 08, 9:28am

Oware Flat Tarp 2.5
You will not find a more flexible shelter. Square shape and multiple well placed tie-outs means more pitch options than most shelters. 9'x9' means big enough for a variety of conditions. ...

November 08, 9:23am

Gossamer Gear Spinshelter
The GG Spinnshelter has much of the flexibility of a flat tarp, but easier pitch in a storm-proof mode. It sheds wind well and is fairly roomy when pitched high. You may not be able to fully sit ...

May 25, 9:48am

Gatorade Bottle
On problem with sports drink(Gatorade) bottles is that the cap is made out of a different more brittle material. I have experienced the caps breaking many times from being dropped when full of water. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
June 18, 5:24am