Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Laurence Beck (beckla) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I was born in Kansas City,MO. but raised in Riverside,CA before moving to Orange County, CA in 1989. I developed a love for backpacking in the Boy Scouts as a kid so, in 2004, I joined a local Hiking and Backpacking Club. My lightweight testimony has been an evolving story. I started out in 2004 with a base weight around 40 lbs, made a transitional reduction to 30 lbs and then to 25 lbs over the last couple of years. Now, with the help of BPL forums, I am down to about 14 1/2 lbs including a bear canister.
CitySan Juan Capistrano
My PDF Gear ListMar 2011 - Stuck at 15-16 lbs

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Laurence Beck

Showing 161 - 170 of 247 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Forum » Thread

Early Sept
Hartleyf, A friend and I did the southern half the first week of September. We entered at South Lake in Bishop and then hiked to Whitney. The weather was perfect! The longest day did was 16 mi...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » JMT South Bound OCTOBER
October 07, 2:15pm

Here is your itinerary
Day 1 Happy Isles to Clouds Rest trail – 6.7 miles camping at 7200ft (2200ft climb) Day 2 Clouds Rest trail to Tuolumne Meadows – 14.1 miles camping at 8500ft Day 3 Tuolumne Meadows to Lyell ...

October 07, 1:19pm

Kearsarge Pass Trail a possibility?
If you could get to VVR before they close then you could get someone to bring you a resupply at the Kearsarge Pass junction near Charlotte Lake. Happy Isles to VVR approx 90 miles VVR to Kearsa...

October 07, 12:42pm

It was 18 degF in Tuolumne this morning at 7:21am.. ouch!
You aren't kidding about chilly mornings. Here's the link to the weather website (ROMAN) In the Region drop-down, select the CA - San Joaquin Valle...

October 07, 9:32am

Incredible but costly
Scott, Thanks for the feedback. Ashley Simpson told me last spring that the Vapor Trail was a stepping stone pack. I guess she was absolutely correct. Now I just need to save my pennies! Wher...

In Gear Lists » Updated Gear List
October 06, 6:12pm

Updated Gear List
Last February I went through several iterations to reduce my base weight via this forum. I got down to around 16.5 lbs including a Garcia bear cannister. This past summer I hiked the Rae Lakes Loop...

In Gear Lists » Updated Gear List
October 06, 1:59pm

Steripen sounds like a pain in the $%% to me
Everyone I know who has relied on this product for a long trip has ended up drinking water straight from the source because this product has proven unreliable. Good thing for them that they were hi...

In GEAR » container for Steripen Adventurer
October 05, 11:33pm

I was hoping that was what is was. I was in the Boy Scouts and I was also in the Order of the Arrow. Except for backpacking, the Order of the Arrow was the coolest part of my whole experience in t...

In Philmont » OA trail Crew.
October 04, 11:02am

What is OA Trail Crew?
What is OA Trail Crew?

In Philmont » OA trail Crew.
October 03, 9:53pm

Maybe packing services are still available??
I know that both Red's Meadows and Muir Trail Ranch are closed. You could try Rainbow Packers out of Bishop, CA. Their phone number is 760-873-8877 and you can google them for more information ...

October 03, 9:51pm

All Reader Reviews by Laurence Beck

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
I purchased the Big Agnes SL1 three years ago and I have spent at least 30 nights in it. I am only 6 ft tall so the length is actually perfect for me. The real beauty of this tent is that it is light ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 28, 8:27pm

Klearwater Klearwater
I have been using KlearWater for about 3-4 years and I love it. I refrigerate it while not in use and I have never had to throw out a bottle. My favorite feature is the ability to treat a larger quant...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 27, 12:08pm

National Geographic TOPO! Outdoor Recreation Mapping Software - California
I used Nat. Geographic's TOPO California to plan a John Muir Trail hike last summer (06). It was great at showing profiles and I loaded waypoints to my Garmin GPSMAP 60C. The one slight ptoblem is...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
February 07, 5:18pm