BPL Community Profile

Laurence Beck (beckla) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I was born in Kansas City,MO. but raised in Riverside,CA before moving to Orange County, CA in 1989. I developed a love for backpacking in the Boy Scouts as a kid so, in 2004, I joined a local Hiking and Backpacking Club. My lightweight testimony has been an evolving story. I started out in 2004 with a base weight around 40 lbs, made a transitional reduction to 30 lbs and then to 25 lbs over the last couple of years. Now, with the help of BPL forums, I am down to about 14 1/2 lbs including a bear canister.
CitySan Juan Capistrano
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListMar 2011 - Stuck at 15-16 lbs

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Laurence Beck

Showing 161 - 170 of 245 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Forum » Thread

Kearsarge Pass Trail a possibility?
If you could get to VVR before they close then you could get someone to bring you a resupply at the Kearsarge Pass junction near Charlotte Lake. Happy Isles to VVR approx 90 miles VVR to Kearsa...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » JMT South Bound OCTOBER
October 07, 12:42pm

It was 18 degF in Tuolumne this morning at 7:21am.. ouch!
You aren't kidding about chilly mornings. Here's the link to the weather website (ROMAN) http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/roman/ In the Region drop-down, select the CA - San Joaquin Valle...

October 07, 9:32am

Incredible but costly
Scott, Thanks for the feedback. Ashley Simpson told me last spring that the Vapor Trail was a stepping stone pack. I guess she was absolutely correct. Now I just need to save my pennies! Wher...

In Gear Lists » Updated Gear List
October 06, 6:12pm

Updated Gear List
Last February I went through several iterations to reduce my base weight via this forum. I got down to around 16.5 lbs including a Garcia bear cannister. This past summer I hiked the Rae Lakes Loop...

In Gear Lists » Updated Gear List
October 06, 1:59pm

Steripen sounds like a pain in the $%% to me
Everyone I know who has relied on this product for a long trip has ended up drinking water straight from the source because this product has proven unreliable. Good thing for them that they were hi...

In GEAR » container for Steripen Adventurer
October 05, 11:33pm

Cool
I was hoping that was what is was. I was in the Boy Scouts and I was also in the Order of the Arrow. Except for backpacking, the Order of the Arrow was the coolest part of my whole experience in t...

In Philmont » OA trail Crew.
October 04, 11:02am

What is OA Trail Crew?
What is OA Trail Crew?

In Philmont » OA trail Crew.
October 03, 9:53pm

Maybe packing services are still available??
I know that both Red's Meadows and Muir Trail Ranch are closed. You could try Rainbow Packers out of Bishop, CA. Their phone number is 760-873-8877 and you can google them for more information ...

October 03, 9:51pm

Duct tape
I use regular old duct tape for blister protection. I wrap it around an empty cardboard toilet paper roll. Is Leukotape lighter (and better) than duct tape? I have not weighed the duct tape but ...

In GEAR » Leukotape is heavy!
October 02, 6:36pm

Even without a pack...
I could not do the Rae Lakes Loop in a day even if I had a sherpa carrying my pack for me.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Rae Lakes Loop in a day.
September 30, 7:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Laurence Beck

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
I purchased the Big Agnes SL1 three years ago and I have spent at least 30 nights in it. I am only 6 ft tall so the length is actually perfect for me. The real beauty of this tent is that it is light ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 28, 8:27pm

Klearwater Klearwater
I have been using KlearWater for about 3-4 years and I love it. I refrigerate it while not in use and I have never had to throw out a bottle. My favorite feature is the ability to treat a larger quant...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 27, 12:08pm

National Geographic TOPO! Outdoor Recreation Mapping Software - California
I used Nat. Geographic's TOPO California to plan a John Muir Trail hike last summer (06). It was great at showing profiles and I loaded waypoints to my Garmin GPSMAP 60C. The one slight ptoblem is...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
February 07, 5:18pm