November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Don Selesky (backslacker) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Don Selesky hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Don Selesky has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Don Selesky

Showing 161 - 170 of 317 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...32

Forum » Thread

"I'm on the fence with purchasing a VBL for my marmot hydrogen 30 degree sleeping bag. My hope is to push this bag to 10 - 15 degree weather while wearing mid weight thermals, inside the V...

In GEAR » Use of VBL
November 12, 6:52am

Re: vbl
"In what sort of weather do you need a vapor barrier?" Below freezing, at least. For me, preferably more like 10F - 20F. The colder and drier it is, the more valuable VBL is.

In GEAR » Use of VBL
November 12, 6:46am

Re: soft shell pants
I've been very happy with the MontBell soft shell pants I have.

In GEAR » soft shell pants
November 11, 6:53am

Re: Too much down?
Synthetics are most useful in cooler (not cold) weather when you expect rain. It's generally bulletproof, although you obviously don't *want* to get it wet if you can avoid it. As the i...

In GEAR » Too much down?
November 11, 6:50am

Re: Use of VBL
I generally use VBL on my torso, head, hands, and feet while I sleep, and my hands (and maybe feet) during the day. Very useful for extra warmth and keeping moisture out of the insulation. I'...

In GEAR » Use of VBL
November 11, 6:45am

Re: Recommend me a Winter glove system
I've settled on the lighter pair of RBH Designs' mitts, plus light and medium weight liner gloves. I use the RBH mitts alone when it's below freezing, adding a liner as it gets progres...

In GEAR » Recommend me a Winter glove system
November 05, 6:49am

Re: camera - quality vs convenience
"But for me, it still needs to be compact with 5x + optical zoom, and good battery life. Waterproof and shockproof would be nice, hd video is optional as well, but from what I am seeing, it co...

In GEAR » What's your favorite backcountry camera?
October 20, 7:20am

Re: Winter Down Parka recommendations
Years ago I was out one winter at -13F, standing around chatting with people camping nearby while being perfectly warm and comfy. I used a large Marmot baffled down parka, plus the appropriate dow...

In GEAR » Winter Down Parka recommendations
October 19, 8:35pm

Re: What's your favorite backcountry camera?
My priorities are for image quality over ruggedness and weatherproofing - that can be solved with the right case. For maximum portability and minimum weight, I use a Canon G10. The current equi...

In GEAR » What's your favorite backcountry camera?
October 19, 8:16pm

Re: hammock?
"hammock?" Beat me to it. As long as you have either a good enough pad or an external underquilt, you'll be fine. The snow should roll off the hammock tarp, assuming you pitch ...

In GEAR » What would be your ideal shelter for weathering one foot of east coast (sub-alpine) snow?
October 08, 3:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Don Selesky

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
I've had my 30F #3 bag down to 12F on a winter camping trip, wearing a mid-weight synthetic parka and pants, under a tarp and bivy combination. I was comfortable up to the 12F temps, although I w...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 04, 2:45am

Big Sky International
I ordered a tent about mid-December of last year also, and would be stunned at this point if it ever showed up. I suspect that you'll never get a refund simply because Big Sky doesn't have it - the f...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 05, 2:02pm