BPL Community Profile

Andrew F (andrew.f) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me Andrew F has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear ListEmigrant group trip list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andrew F

Showing 161 - 170 of 682 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...69

Forum » Thread

Re: Yosemite Falls & Eagle Peak, November 23-24
Brian, glad you can make it. You might want to bring some hiking poles... years ago when I had IT band syndrome coming down the Falls Trail with 40 lbs of climbing gear did a number on my knees. ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Yosemite Falls & Eagle Peak, November 23-24
October 28, 9:56am

Re: Cooking Trout
In my experience you have to boil the fish for more than 5 minutes to cook them thoroughly, so I doubt that just putting them in a Ziploc with boiling water would cook them all the way. Poaching wo...

In Fishing » Cooking Trout
October 25, 10:41am

Re: Pack lids
Pack lids never seemed to help me organize my stuff, rather I just ended up using them as extra volume when I filled up the main compartment. I much prefer hipbelt pockets, big side pockets, and a ...

In GEAR » Pack lids
October 24, 8:20pm

Re: Ground insulation.
I dunno how much was the reflective barrier and how much was because Ridgerests are warmer to begin with. Also my Z-lite is really old and somewhat flattened. But if their specs are true R2.2 vs R2...

In GEAR » Ground insulation.
October 24, 2:43pm

Re: Ground insulation.
Yes, a full length pad is important in cold weather, and mandatory on the snow. For snow camping I use a full-length NeoAir Xlite with a 52" Z-Lite under my torso. My feet get a little cold fr...

In GEAR » Ground insulation.
October 24, 1:55pm

FS: Altai Hok 125cm with X-trace universal binding
I bought them to use for easy cross-country winter backpacking. They are basically a more fun replacement for snowshoes.

In Gear Swap » FS: Altai Hok 125cm with X-trace universal binding
October 24, 12:02pm

They were my first pair of skis. They were a fun and interesting experiment, but it turns out I am a terrible skier.

October 24, 9:46am

Bump for approaching winter.

October 23, 4:40pm

Re: Bristlecone Bivy
I have the 6' left zipper. I've had it for about two years now. The quality of construction is as good as it gets, the sewing is flawless. It's generously sized - it has enough room for...

In GEAR » Bristlecone Bivy
October 23, 3:59pm

Re: Bristlecone Bivy
I have one and use it a fair amount. What do you want to know?

In GEAR » Bristlecone Bivy
October 23, 3:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Andrew F

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

zpacks Company
I had the same experience as everyone else here. Joe got me a customized piece of gear on time and was very responsive to my questions and requests. Can't do much better than that.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 30, 10:01am

ULA Ohm
The Ohm is my go-to pack for trips that don't require a bear can. You can fit a Bearikade in it, but it's not very comfortable because it bulges into your back. I put a plastic frame sheet fro...

In Backpacks - Frameless
November 15, 2:15pm

Katabatic Gear Alsek
See thread with pictures and comments here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=48962 I've used this quilt for about 20 nights no...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
November 15, 2:08pm