BPL Community Profile

Will Rietveld (WilliWabbit) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southwest Colorado
About Me Will Rietveld Ph.D, Senior Editor for Gear and Apparel, joined the BPL staff in April 2004. In his former career, Will was a research scientist, project manager, and R&D program administrator. Now retired, he lives in southern Colorado where he takes up a new career of backpacking year-round in the mountains and canyon country of the Southwest. During the summer months Will and his wife Janet are volunteer wilderness rangers in the Weminuche Wilderness. He has been a lightweight backpacker for 52 years and an ultralight backpacker for 13 years.
CityDurango
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Will Rietveld

Showing 161 - 170 of 292 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...30

Forum » Thread

Response to Exos Questions
Hi all. Looks like there's lots of good discussion on the New Osprey Exos backpacks. I would like to add a few comments: Timothy, the Exos 46 is approximate equivalent in volume to the SMD C...

In Editor's Roundtable » Osprey Exos Backpack Review
November 27, 12:07pm

Painting Titanium Stakes
Donna, good comment on stake color. A bright color is really a plus. The Shepherd Hook titanium stakes are easy to lose, and I have lost a few, so I now paint mine orange. The problem I have is the...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tent Stake Holding Power: Comparative Evaluation of Various Designs and Lengths
October 15, 7:15am

Responses to Tent Stake Questions
Hi all, there seems to be a lot of interest in tent stakes. Here are some responses to questions asked: Jay, you asked for photos of the proper technique for Y-stakes. I'm not sure what you ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tent Stake Holding Power: Comparative Evaluation of Various Designs and Lengths
October 15, 7:04am

Lightweight Backpacks 2008: Current Favorites and New Introductions (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008) -- Clarification
Monte asked me to clarify this statement: "The Flash packs should be considered for purchase alongside the Osprey Exos packs (and other favorites in that category), rather than the SMD and Gos...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Backpacks 2008: Current Favorites and New Introductions (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)
September 24, 1:59pm

Responses to Backpack Questions
You guys and gals are so perceptive and catch all the details that I often miss! Our Outdoor Retailer roundup articles are meant to highlight new products of interest so readers can keep up to date...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Backpacks 2008: Current Favorites and New Introductions (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)
September 17, 10:17am

Bomber Stakes
The Easton 8" tubular stakes also hold really well for about the same weight as a MSR Groundhog. Y-stakes hold well too, but you usually need to clean the dirt out of them after you pull them ...

In GEAR » Bombproof stakes
September 13, 7:46pm

Shelters Roundup Responses
Hi All. I have been away for a week hiking on the CDT. Here are my responses to some of the questions raised about the shelters roundup. Tyvek: On the Hang 'em High website, click on "c...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Shelter Roundup (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)
September 13, 1:12pm

Tyvek Coveralls at Home Depot
I forgot to mention that Tyvek coveralls are available in the paint section in Home Depot, and probably Lowe's as well. I saw them in two weights: regular and HD. They cost a little more, but n...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Rainwear 2008: Current Favorites, New Introductions, and New Technologies (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)
August 29, 1:29pm

Big Agnes Clearview Air Pad Review - stickiness issue?
A few readers have commented about the Clearview being sticky. I have not personally noticed that myself, but perhaps the urethane absorbs some moisture in damp weather? I have noticed that it sque...

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Agnes Clearview Air Pad Review
August 29, 12:26pm

Ankle Braces
Hi Erin, Congratulations on finishing your epic trip! One thing that may be of interest is ankle braces used by adventure racers. These provide lots of ankle support, and are worn inside of l...

In GEAR » ankle support vs UL
August 24, 3:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Will Rietveld

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters
I have used these gaiters a lot and really like them. I don't mind their zipperless/Velcroless design, its lighter and simpler. I have size L. For me, they fit very well over mid or full height boo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 23, 8:09am

Six Moon Designs Comet
The new Comet backpack has removeable aluminum stays which allow it to be used as either a frameless or internal frame pack. Without stays it weighs 22 oz and with stays it weighs 27 oz. The Comet ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 7:50pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just got this book and its superb! As I paged through the book, I kept saying yes, right on, perfect, exactly! Don presents the UL gospel clearly and concisely, and the illustrations by Mike Clellan...

In Books and Media
August 03, 7:36pm

Gossamer Gear Fire-fly
The Fire-fly is a real lightweight stove made by mo-go-gear and sold by Gossamer Gear. The whole kit weighs 1.5 ounces and includes the burner, pot stand, windscreen, and heat reflector. The open j...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 03, 7:24pm