BPL Community Profile

Stuart R (Scunnered) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Scotland
About Me "When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of science, whatever the matter may be."
Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) 1883

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stuart R

Showing 161 - 170 of 634 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...64

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Power output with inverted canister
Jim - I would expect to see the same initial flame size with inverted and non-inverted canster when the valve is fully open. Initial flame size only because the evaporative cooling in the non-inver...

In GEAR » Remote Canister stove Recommendations
April 11, 2:19pm

Re: Re: Re: Power output with inverted canister
Hi Roger Yes, I know that there can be short pulses in pressure as the fuel boils and I have seen how the bubbles in a clear PFA fuel hose can sometimes oscillate or move in steps. I have elimin...

April 11, 6:13am

Re: Power output with inverted canister
Hi Jim "However, in an inverted canister stove, the fuel is still liquid when it leaves the canister. The phase change happens at the burner (i.e. in the pre-heat loop). The fuel expands some...

April 11, 2:16am

Re: efficiency
David: I easily get 50-60% efficiency using a simple pot, 5.5" to 6" diameter. The potential improvements than can be offered by a HX are somewhat limited.

In GEAR » Fire Maple Jetboil Clone
March 29, 11:42am

Re: heat exchanger inside the pot?
You have just described a fire-tube boiler, as used on steam locomotives. Great for boiling water, but heavy, and obviously no good for food.

In GEAR » Fire Maple Jetboil Clone
March 28, 2:27pm

Re: Clever Canister Concept
For estimating canister contents, floating in water does not work too well as they float at an odd angle. The balance beam is a better idea - how about using a translucent plastic cup or transpare...

In GEAR » Starting to doubt using my alcohol stove for cannister
March 25, 3:46pm

Hauptkamm
Hauptkamm is literally "Main ridge", but the nearest term that I can think of that conveys the proper meaning is "continental divide".

In Pre-Trip Planning » Hiking in the Austrian Alps
March 24, 2:45pm

Re: Problem with Pocket Rocket
Jerry - there is a general problem with canisters and two problems with the Pocket Rocket. The canister problem is the tolerance on the valve, specifically the dimension from the rim of the valve (...

In Philosophy & Technique » Thoughts on gear for long-distance hikers
March 20, 10:28am

Re: Thoughts on gear for long-distance hikers
But even if you are not planning on doing such a long hike, these ideas might be interesting. Absolutely. There are good reasons why versatile, reliable and comfortable gear is desireable for sh...

In Philosophy & Technique » Thoughts on gear for long-distance hikers
March 19, 3:31pm

butane canisters cannot be sent by mail
Prohibited goods (http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods): " Gases that are compressed, liquefied or dissolved under pressure, permanent gases whi...

In Pre-Trip Planning » UK web source for iso-butane canisters
March 18, 2:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Stuart R

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coleman Exponent Non-stick Cook Kit
At first glance this looks like just another anodised aluminium cook set, but on closer inspection you will find that these pots have a real standout feature. There is a spiral groove machined or stam...

In Cookware - Other
March 29, 12:43pm