BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 161 - 170 of 280 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Forum » Thread

Magic bullet?
"I think a lot of it is due to boredom (gotta try new things/new fads), or books and websites which distort evidence to make a buck or cause a stir." I think it is that but also I thin...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
August 18, 8:12pm

It is really just a way of looking at things.
Personally, I think assigning arbitrary weight categories to a persons base load is a little silly. As noted before, big folks will carry more weight with the same gear as us smaller people. And,...

In GEAR » Backpacking Weight Ranks
August 18, 7:41am

Ultra Bushbuddy and JMT...
Unless a stove has a shut off valve, it is considered an open fire. So, the Bush Buddy would be considered an open fire. Along the JMT, wood fires are not allowed above 10,000 to 10,500 ft depend...

In GEAR » Ultra Bushbuddy and JMT...
August 13, 8:09pm

Just use metric units.
Determine the weight in grams. One gram is very, very, close to 1 cc at room temperature. Then use either 1000 gm = 1000 cc = 1 liter; or, 1 qt = 0.90808 liters ≈ 908 cc. Or use, one avoirdupo...

In GEAR » Measuring pot volume with a scale
August 13, 12:58pm

URsack in the Grand Canyon
My experience has been the same as Greg's; protect your food. This is especially true in the more frequented camp areas. In my experience, Monument, Hermit Camp and Cottonwood are bad for lit...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » URsack in the Grand Canyon
August 12, 12:26pm

Snakebites
Yes, but it turned out to be a "dry" bite: no venom. The "dryness" became obvious before I got out the tourniquet, suction cup and scalpel blade that were traditional treatment...

In Chaff » Snakebites
August 10, 4:43pm

JMT September List
I'll second the extra insulation. I took a Montbell inner down vest with me when I hiked the JMT last year in early September. I used it most mornings, especially from the Evolution Basin sou...

In Gear Lists » JMT September List
August 05, 7:34am

JMT record?
I don't think that records for trails such as the JMT really mean that much. There are too many other variables besides the individual's athletic prowess that can influence the time requir...

In GEAR » John Muir Trail Record???
July 31, 2:07pm

Rattlesnake avoidance
You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. It is perfectly responsible to allow a dog off leash in ones own fenced yard. If there is the potential for...

In Philosophy & Technique » Rattlesnake avoidance classes for dogs
July 30, 7:30am

JMT 2009
I would add a light weight insulated vest or jacket for those cold mornings. I used pretty much what you list for clothes except that I had added a Montbell under vest (5 oz). I used it about hal...

In Gear Lists » JMT 2009
July 27, 5:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm