Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 161 - 170 of 314 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...32

Forum » Thread

Solo shelter options
Take a look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek tent. Complete with poles, stakes and small Tyvek ground sheet it weighs 35 oz.

In GEAR » Solo shelter options
January 11, 6:56pm

Your favorite wind proof headwear?
You might want to take a look at the Bomber Hat on Ray Jardine's RayWay website. You have to sew it but I like the idea that you don't need a parka hood up to keep your head warm and prote...

In GEAR » Your favorite wind proof headwear?
January 05, 6:10am

My 3 Season Set up
One thing that you could do to get more help would be to list your gear by it's function rather than just the brand name. There are probably several of us on this forum who don't know ...

In Gear Lists » My 3 Season Set up
December 24, 6:27am

Weight vs 'The Look: ie. form vs function
This is not something I spend a lot of time worrying about. To me, function is much more important than is form (aka fashion). My priorities are: 1) functionality; 2) price and; 3) what it looks ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Weight vs 'The Look'
December 16, 3:00pm

How Did BUSH WIN...?
I believe it was Socrates who first noted "no man who seeks public office should be granted it." In our more enlightened times, the word man should be replaced with person.

In Chaff » How Did BUSH WIN...?
December 11, 4:58pm

Lightweight Backpacking Long Ago
Yeah, I have a copy, bought it when it first came out. I used a lot of the ideas in the book when I thru-hiked the JMT in 1954.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lightweight Backpacking Long Ago
December 08, 6:47pm

water purification input needed
I would recommend a Steripen with, say, Micropur tablets as backup. I have used a Steripen Adventurer now for almost four years and have had good service with it. At first, I had problems with it...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » water purification input needed
November 30, 6:42am

marmot helium vs. montbell UL Spiral Down Hugger #1 vs. WM alpinlite/ultralite"
I have used the Marmot Helium for the last three years and think that it is an excellent bag. The one I have has only a half zip which is less than desirable in warm weather. It is also a bit mor...

In GEAR » marmot helium vs. montbell UL Spiral Down Hugger #1 vs. WM alpinlite/ultralite
November 30, 6:25am

BV 500 fits horizontally
I got my new Starlite a few days ago. I have been messing around with it getting used to the features. My Thermarest Prolite 3, short fits into the pad pocket perfectly. I can also get my BV 500...

In GEAR » 2010 SMD Starlite - Pics!
November 28, 6:43pm

Re: Lamps : oil or candle ?
I prefer the candle lamps because they save you the hassle of having to deal with lamp oil that can potentially leak into surrounding gear. Plus, you have the weight of the lamp and the oil contai...

In GEAR » Lamps : oil or candle ?
November 27, 8:07am

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm