BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 14 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 161 - 170 of 405 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...41

Forum » Thread

Hash oil explosions might restrict butane purchases
Several butane-fueled hash oil extraction explosions in California recently. http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_24337370/increasing-number-hash-oil-explosions-bay-area-dangerous The comm...

In On the Web » Hash oil explosions might restrict butane purchases
October 21, 9:44pm

Cans plus wood pelelts
David, Your can experiments are most of the way to MYOG wood gas burners found all over YouTube and elsewhere. You could burn cheap-and-plentiful wood pellets. Wood pellets should pass TSA in...

In Make Your Own Gear » Wax burners
October 21, 9:39am

Coming soon: Tacocopter, Burrito Bomber, Fly-A-Pizza, sushi-by-drone, Domicopter
Soon, you won't need to carry food on your trip, just a smart phone with Internet access. Tacocopter, Flying Robots Deliver Tacos To Your Location. More from HuffPo. They claim to have Lobst...

In GEAR » quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming)
October 19, 10:43am

What BPL is doing for me
I've been on BPL for barely a year, and it's changing my life in unexpected ways. BPL is helping me me lighten my load, spend more money, and go backpacking more often. I kind of expecte...

In Chaff » BPL Goes Bye Bye
October 16, 2:32pm

Re: Skyline to Sea Help
I've backpacked S2S variations several times and enjoyed the trip. Some tips: - Yes, the start is higher than the end. But S2S still has long hills to climb! - Take mosquito repellent. ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Skyline to Sea Help
October 16, 2:03pm

Good video on how PLBs work
Acrartex, who makes PLBs, created a good video that explains how PLBs work, and compares PLBs to other devices. Naturally, PLBs win, and it's a little dated (doesn't include modern satellit...

In GEAR » Experiences with satellite phones?
October 15, 12:02am

Re: Visibility to helicopters if lost, stranded or injured
A few thoughts: - That bike light won't be visible very far during the day, which is when most SAR helicopters and planes fly. You need something intensely bright (like a strobe flash or sig...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Visibility to helicopters if lost, stranded or injured
October 14, 11:57pm

Re: rescue insurance
I'm working on a rescue insurance article for BPL, which might be published early next year. Judging from my early work, the whole area is incredibly complex. Keep those stories and pointers...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Does it cost to hit the SOS button??
October 12, 5:35pm

One more tip
If no single bush is strong enough for that "can't fail" anchor -- tie off to multiple bushes. You need lots of extra line, and knot-fu, ring, or carabiner to equalize the tension ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Techniques for River Corridor Camping
October 11, 2:35pm

Great article + more tips
Great article. I learned some new tricks, and have a few more. I've slept hundreds of nights in river corridors on whitewater raft trips. - I liked Table 1 Tent Stake Holding Power. Nice to ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Techniques for River Corridor Camping
October 10, 3:29pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.