BPL Community Profile

Douglas Frick (Otter) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Wyoming
About Me Douglas Frick has not added a biography yet.
StateWY

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Douglas Frick

Showing 161 - 170 of 768 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...77

Forum » Thread

Re: Ray Jardine bans people from his website
> If you fall in this group, you are then banned from their site. I don't get it. Are you guys on static IP addresses? Otherwise, how would he know it was you?

In GEAR » Why are the Ray Jardine books so expensive?
March 19, 11:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How about 2 packs?
I had the same problems with the pad and stays in my GG Mariposa Plus (M/L with L belt 18.6oz + 1.2oz pads), with a pack weight of 24 pounds. I replaced the GG NightLight Torso pad (3.4 oz) that I ...

In GEAR » The right pack for the job
March 19, 11:14pm

Re: Re: Re: any Tamarak Western Mountaineering bag users?
Then it should extend above your shoulders just fine, and your shoulders and arms will fit inside even wearing a mid-layer and/or insulating layer if you sleep cold or want to use it in below-freez...

In GEAR » any Tamarak Western Mountaineering bag users?
March 18, 3:34pm

Re: any Tamarak Western Mountaineering bag users?
I'm 6'2" and heavy. I used it as an elephant-foot bag, wearing only a Patagonia Micropuff over a wicking synthetic base layer (boxers, not long underwear) that offered almost no insula...

In GEAR » any Tamarak Western Mountaineering bag users?
March 18, 2:32pm

Re: Alternative flatware
Correction to URL: Knorks are at http://www.knork.net/.

In GEAR » Alternative flatware
March 18, 10:31am

re hammock
>I am going to go with the HH Supershelter and just use a plain sleeping bag inside - I hope that will do the trick in the temps I'll be in (around 35F/0C) A Hennessy hammock used with ...

In Gear Swap » WTB: hammock sleep gear and UL bag.
March 18, 9:50am

Re: Re: One pot for all stoves
>The Jetboil system, although heavier than most setups, is very efficient. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the JetBoil GCS 1.5L cooking pot, available separately for $50. I...

In GEAR » Calling all Titanium Esbit Wing Stove users
March 17, 2:10pm

Re: One pot for all stoves
>I have switched to the 1.5 L. JetBoil pot. What is the weight of the pot, and also separately the two plastic covers? It felt rather heavy. However it might save much more weight of alcoho...

In GEAR » Calling all Titanium Esbit Wing Stove users
March 16, 11:45pm

Re: Ray Jardine
That's weird. Works fine for me. You could try going to rayjardine.com and clicking News. I wonder if that would work? Same place.

March 16, 8:19pm

Re: Re: Why are the Ray Jardine books so expensive?
>Simply put: he must not be printing the books anymore. Ray mentioned yesterday in his blog that he is working on the second edition of Beyond Backpacking.

March 16, 10:30am

All Reader Reviews by Douglas Frick

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Petzl Zipka
I have the original 3-LED Zipka (1.9 oz with Lithium batteries). It is my regular headlamp (when there's little likelihood of hiking at night) and I always carry it with me on day hikes. It isn...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 07, 1:54pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
I grabbed a bunch of random non-Cliff bars at REI before a recent trip. A few of them were wretched, some just indifferent, and a few I thought would be worthwhile to remember for next time. And then ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 13, 1:03pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
The good points are: fast, fuel-efficient, easy, simple, and reliable boiling water. You can hold it in your hand while you boil water, if finding a place to set up a hot stove is a problem in your en...

In Stoves - Canister
January 06, 10:55am

BackpackingLight.com Premium Membership
I read all of the free articles, and after looking at the abstracts of the Premium articles, I immediately bought a membership. That was well worth it right there. I've also more than saved the price ...

In Books and Media
December 26, 10:01pm

Hiking Light Handbook by Karen Berger
This is a great intro to lightweight backpacking. She covers all of the major gear areas in an uncomplicated fashion, giving overviews of what, why and how to lighten up. The book includes strategies,...

In Books and Media
December 26, 9:56pm

Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat
I refer to it as my "ugly hat," but it's the one I always grab when it's sunny. I wear this hat in Hawaii, where hiking is hot and steamy. I just tighten the headband a bit (easily and securely adjust...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
December 23, 9:16pm

Brunton Helios "Stormproof" lighter
I don't have a Brunton Helios lighter, but unfortunately there isn't a way to comment without giving a rating. I do, however, have six butane 'windproof' lighters/torches: a Brunton Firelight, a Solo ...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 23, 8:27pm

Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine
This is a thick book with a lot of useful information. I found it inspiring, with a fairly well-balanced idea of hiking and camping with light gear. I've bought copies for friends, with the simple adm...

In Books and Media
November 25, 2:17pm

Superfeet Performance Green
I have flat feet after wearing rubber slippers in Hawaii for 15 years. When I got back into hiking I found I could only pack for a mile or two before my feet started screaming. Superfeet solved that p...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 25, 1:47pm