BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 161 - 170 of 561 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...57

Forum » Thread

Opinel - Ideal backing knife
Opinel #6: 2.75" blade, 3.75" x 5/8" handle, locks open and closed, 7/8 ounces. Opinel #8: 3.25" blade, 4.25" x 3/4" handle, locks open and closed, 1 3/8 ounces. Opi...

In GEAR » light lockblade knives
April 23, 10:17am

Frameless Pack Weight Transfer
I had more weight transfer to the hips when I used the REI Flash 50 in frameless mode. It was obvious that the framesheet was "bridging" across the hollow of my lower back, and would the...

In GEAR » Pack weight transfer question
April 23, 9:55am

May thru-hike in VA
I'm a 1/2 hour North of the VA border, and our spring Cubscouts campout is in May every year. Over the last 8 years, we had 5 nighttime lows around 40-45 degrees, 1 around 30, 1 around 35, and...

In GEAR » AT Section hike of Virginia in late May - 40 degree bag enough?
April 22, 7:21pm

Granite Gear
The Granite Gear packs come close. They are at least basic / no-frills. But not exactly abrasion & snag resistant... They use 100 denier for the main body, and 210 for the bottom.

In GEAR » Basic Pack
April 17, 2:58pm

Basic Pack
Is anyone still making a sturdy, but no-frills pack for 30-40 lb loads & rough handling? Everything I can find for "lightweight" backpacking has traded abrasion & snag resistant ...

In GEAR » Basic Pack
April 17, 2:49pm

Spyder Bites
I'm sure what I'm seeing is some kind of bite. Mosquito bites (for me) always leave a 3/16" round, slightly raised, slightly itchy mound, that stops itching in a few hours. What ...

In GEAR » Tarps and . . . snakes? Please enlighten the noob
April 01, 6:09pm

VT vs Blaze 60
Oops. My previous comments were about the Escape 60, not the Blaze 60. While I mourn the loss of the VT (it's frame was enough for me at 30 lbs), I really like the roomy / gussetted rear po...

In GEAR » Vapor Trail discontinued
April 01, 5:33pm

Tarps in Southeast
I used a tube tent, and hiked the AT and Shenandoahs in MD & VA - several sections 2-3 times. Never, ever had a problem. I like a tarp now - for the versatility (lunch breaks in the rain), an...

In GEAR » Tarps and . . . snakes? Please enlighten the noob
March 30, 6:32pm

Pliers
The only thing I've ever needed pliers for was unjamb a zipper the kids forced (and forced some more...). I got by without it, but it was close, and I would consider carrying a 1.5 oz pair of ...

In GEAR » Do pliers belong in your kit?
March 15, 6:16pm

Packs for 11 Year Olds
My son has a 13.5" torso, 20.5" waist and carrys 15.5 lbs (including pack) when hiking in "self supported" mode. (For longer trips, I carry our shared shelter & kitchen to ...

In GEAR » Light Packs for 11-year-olds
March 14, 6:34pm

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm