Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 161 - 170 of 3125 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...313

Forum » Thread

Re: WTB! all my gear was stolen, looking for replacements
You might be able to assemble some alternative form of proof. Sierra Trading Post has noted on some receipts that "you've saved over $14,500 by shopping with us" (which made me think...

In Gear Swap » WTB! all my gear was stolen, looking for replacements
April 27, 6:02pm

Re: New advice on a good car camping stove for one
I'll second the single-burner Coleman propane stove. $23.88 for the actual Coleman one. $16.75 for the Stansport version. Works fine at cold temps (I bring one snow camping). Fuel is cheap...

In GEAR » New advice on a good car camping stove for one
April 27, 2:39pm

Re: Brooks Range, 10 days, June 2015
+1 on the InReach. Having helped folks in the Brooks Range based on their inReach messages, I'd carry one if going for more than a few nights. -1 on spray and bear canisters. Neither of the...

In Gear Lists » Brooks Range, 10 days, June 2015
April 27, 1:41am

Re: packing stakes
+1 on the MYOG tyvek case - cut the corner off a used Tyvek envelope, seal the third side with 2" sealing tape. Leave enough of a flap to secure with a rubber band or hair scrungie. I'...

In GEAR » packing stakes
April 24, 12:39am

Re: hot weather tent
Even double-walled tents get really hot as soon as the sun hits them. If you are hoping to sleep in, I'd figure out where the sun will rise in the morning and put a tarp between the rising sun...

In GEAR » hot weather tent
April 23, 10:13pm

Salt speeds rusting.
>"But, it rusted out after about a month." Prior to drying it out as you suggest, rinse it with fresh water if you have prepared anything salty in it (Top Ramen, any FD food, etc). ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pepperidge Farm wafer cans as pots?
April 23, 11:22am

Re: Sterno sucks..
+1 Due to limited fuel options and a faulty butane adaptor (from horizontal canisters to vertical-BP-style), I got stuck using Sterno on Kauai. At sea level. At 70F. And it couldn't boil ...

In GEAR » Actual fire hazard of wood burning stoves
April 22, 12:13am

Re: Re: Ten Buck DEUCES! Cosmetic seconds! And the Black ones are 15 grams (5.3 ounces) - 2g lighter than regular ones
"I just can't figure out what 5.3 ounces is all about." I think I can. 15 grams = 0.529109 ounces which rounds to .53 ounces. Someone slipped with the decimal point. Happe...

In Gear Deals » Ten Buck DEUCES! Cosmetic seconds! And the Black ones are 15 grams (5.3 ounces) - 2g lighter than regular ones
April 21, 10:57pm

Re: Re: Bigger burner
"aluminum pot will spread the heat more evenly" +1 And, at medium flame, you burn less food on hot spots than at full flame. But even with aluminum, we ULers use thin-bottomed po...

In GEAR » MSR Pocket Rocket options
April 21, 6:29pm

Re: Moving to Colombia: Gear Considerations
Something I expect my kids to know in grade school is: The adiabatic expansion of air results in air being 3.5F cooler for every 1000 feet higher up you go. If you're in town at 1,000 foo...

In GEAR » Moving to Colombia: Gear Considerations
April 21, 6:17pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.