BPL Community Profile

Dave Heiss (DaveHeiss) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Backpacker since 1973, started going lighter in 2003
CityCamano Island
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dave Heiss

Showing 161 - 170 of 274 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Forum » Thread

Sprint Aquatics
The Nylon Mesh Shoe from Sprint Aquatics is something like 2.5oz for the pair, and work great for river crossing and camp shoes. I added a second layer of foam (from a 1/8 GG Thinlight pad) to mine...

In GEAR » Lightest Camp/River Crossing Shoes?
May 01, 10:29am

Contrail
I think the Contrail is very spacious, and having the peak above your head makes it feel exceptionally roomy. I'm 6-2 and I have plenty of stretch out space in mine.

In GEAR » Tarptent questions
April 30, 5:16pm

Contrail is a good choice
I like my Contrail. I've used it for two seasons now, and it has provided good protection and relatively easy setup for me. I made some elastic line tighteners last year that I used on the rear...

In GEAR » Tarptent questions
April 30, 3:50pm

I like it!
Great knotless method - easy to do and easy to remember! I'll be using it this season whenever I need to hang food. Thanks!

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: Knotless PCT Bear Bag Hang
April 27, 5:53pm

Future sale
Hi Devin, Kudos to you for taking this product from vision to reality. Though I have no immediate need for a Montgomery Kettle, I thought I would mention my interest because I suspect I am not t...

In Gear Deals » Montgomery Kettle (ultralight chimney-boiler) reservations
March 31, 1:33pm

Lafuma Xlight Mids
I picked up the same mids at Sierra Trading Post, when they were clearing them out earlier this year. Good fit for my feet, and the upper/lower lacing scheme is rather nice, but it leaves you with ...

In GEAR » Lafuma Xlight Mid - opinions?
March 26, 10:23am

Features
I trolled around today and found a few more details on the Mammut Light Pump Mat. Here are the interesting ones: - New Square TX fabric is touted as durable, non-slip and very light. - Hand-pu...

In GEAR » Mammut Light Pump Mat
March 25, 7:44pm

Sweetwater
I've used a Sweetwater filter for 6 or 7 years now, and love it. No chemicals to affect the taste or leave residues, no waiting, no futzing around, just pump and drink. Even though mine is arou...

In GEAR » Nearly There!
March 24, 9:26pm

IKEA cutlery caddy
The IKEA cutlery caddy woodstove mod weighs about 3oz. I like the one I made:

In GEAR » New Vargo Hexagon Wood Stove...Opinions?
March 10, 12:05pm

Mammut Light Pump Mat
Anyone know more about the new Mammut Light Pump Mat? It was highlighted in the recent Backpacker Magazine Gear Guide, and with 3 inches of cushion at only 20oz with integrated air pump it looks ve...

In GEAR » Mammut Light Pump Mat
March 10, 11:34am

All Reader Reviews by Dave Heiss

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Versalite
Andrea - I'm looking forward to your opinions on the Versalite 50. I've still got that pack on my short list, and hope you can provide some input on its comfort and functionality. My only conc...

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 5:37pm

02 Rainwear Rain Suit
I also have an O2 Rainwear suit. I picked up a pair a few years ago and have been really happy with the performance, but I still wince at the screaming yellow color every time I put them on. It is def...

In Clothing - Raingear
March 26, 11:34am