BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 161 - 170 of 3720 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...372

Forum » Thread

SMC snow stake/trowel
I use a snow stake for a potty trowel & as a tent stake if I run into sandy soil that won't hold an MSR Ground Hog stake (very rarely). So far this has been a good solution for the holy ...

In GEAR » Potty Trowel.... What?
March 24, 1:03pm

EXOS 58 lid
Botsaris, They keep the lid so You can get rid of it and I can keep it and convert it to a fanny pack for day trips away from camp. Nuf sed.

In GEAR » New Osprey Exos Packs for 2014
March 23, 8:22pm

Whut Dale sed
Persactly Dale! Tablets and a Steripen.

In GEAR » Water purification alternatives?
March 23, 8:15pm

WEIGHT!
The NeoAir Lite (reg.) weighs 10 oz. less than my Prolite (reg.) so, much as I love my Prolite, I'm getting a NeoAir. But I'll keep the Prolite B/C I'm a (back)pack rat.

In GEAR » Prolite 3 Small vs. NeoAir or even REI Flash
March 23, 8:14pm

condensation temp v.s. freezing temp
True, when your body moisture reaches 32 F. it will ffeeze BUT it will condense long before that, and likely somewhere inside the synthetic quilt, as you surmize. But... if you make that quilt i...

In GEAR » Pushing the Dew point out of a down bag using a synthetic overquilt.
March 23, 8:11pm

REI
Although it weighs 15 oz. my REI Kimtah eVent parka always goes along on my backpacking trips, even into southern Utah's Grand Escalante. It breathes very well and has a lot of nice features...

In GEAR » What jacket to buy?
March 23, 8:04pm

Interesting
I've never been a fan of mid shelters, particularly for winter. But THIS modified mid has me interested, especially with a lightweight, collapsable wood burning stove. Thanks for the thoroug...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lil' Bugout Shelter Review
March 23, 7:58pm

Modded Scarp 2
Jim, Unfortunately I haven't been able to test the modded Scarp 2 in a heavy snow load, just a heavy wind load. I expect it to do well in a wet, heavy snow (with proper end guying). As fo...

In Editor's Roundtable » Stephenson 2C Tent Review - Part 2
March 20, 1:06pm

Boots and VBLs
1.Be SURE to wear sweatproof VBL liners over thin poly liner socks and under your insulating socks. Wet (& thus cold) socks and boots are miserable in the morning and can lead to serious frostb...

In GEAR » Help! Plans/Gear are tanking due to changing temps
March 19, 5:12pm

Hmmm...
I brush my 300 weight pile jacket once in a while and it purrs in appreciation.

In GEAR » Does anyone comb their fleece or pile?
March 19, 5:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 28 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am

Vargo Triad XE
The XE version of Vargo's Triad is an improvement in several ways. 1. After I complained of the original removable alcohol burner being too small the company owner responded by making it larger...

In Stoves - Alcohol
May 18, 8:51pm

Brunton Flex
This is the newer version of the Prumus/Brunton Crux canister-top stove and appears to have corrected faults reported by Crux owners. First the number of fold-out pot supports has increased from 3...

In Stoves - Canister
May 10, 3:38pm