Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 161 - 170 of 3841 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...385

Forum » Thread

Intuition...
I kinda knew that this topic would generate some opposing opinions and I wuz keerect. But that's OK because we of the "tree hugger persuasion" need to hear from large SUV owners. T...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
June 26, 3:14pm

"didn't breed"
Hee, hee, I like that comment! Unfortunately our two daughters have houses of 5,800 and 6,000 sq. ft. That's not just excessive, it's "Excessive excess". BUT, the Thousand Oak...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
June 25, 11:54pm

Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
With global warming "heating up" (couldn't resist that ;o) we know it will affect backpacking. I have hated walking trails through burnt out forest. No shade, dirty, ugly, and hot! ...

June 25, 10:50pm

3 or 4 Season> Tarptent Moment DW
I like my Tarptent Moment DW for 4 season backpacking. 3 Season-> base tent with ripstop inner ( I may get the mesh inner later) I can use only the fly & poly ground sheet if ...

In GEAR » What is everyone's favorite UL solo, three-season shelter?
June 25, 1:38pm

The MOST efficient ESBIT stove
Thank you Darin for a much needed article on ESBIT cooking. **I contend that the Caldera Cone stove and the Brian Green modified Gram Cracker ESBIT holder is currently the most efficient ESBI...

In Editor's Roundtable » Still My Favorite Cook Kit
June 25, 1:26pm

What CF hiking poles have an ALUMINUM bottom section?
I'd like some lighter hiking poles as I begin my 7th decade. Bur having XC ski raced with Swix CF poles and had an idiot break one by stepping on it I know CF has very little lateral strengt...

In GEAR » What CF hiking poles have an ALUMINUM bottom section?
June 22, 8:10pm

REI hat
I like my REI all synthetic hat with mesh side vents. Here in the desert southwest its a great shade hat. I've slipped a piece of that thin, white closed cell foam (used in shipping) in the cro...

In GEAR » Hat for hot sun...
June 22, 4:33pm

CC Sidewinder & ESBIT - simplicity a its best
Being both a Caldera Cone and and ESBIT fanboy I agree with Peter about the simplicity of that foolproof combination. Yeah, I love the cool factor of the flame from an alky stove but I love even...

In GEAR » Not happy with my cook setups.
June 22, 4:29pm

2 mil painter's "clothj"
I prefer the 2 mil painter's cloth B/C Tyvek picks up too much dirt and tiny needles and twigs. Plus I know for sure the plastic painter's cloth is waterproof (until punctures develop, t...

In GEAR » Tyvek vs 2mil painters tarp
June 21, 2:05pm

WAITING FOR Li Polymer
I hope rechargeable Lithium-Polymer batteries in AA and AAA soon hit the market. Li-polymer batteries are lighter than Li-Ion and can take more recharge cycles. Some of the better hybrids and al...

In GEAR » Lightest AAA rechargeable batteries
June 19, 2:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 28 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am

Vargo Triad XE
The XE version of Vargo's Triad is an improvement in several ways. 1. After I complained of the original removable alcohol burner being too small the company owner responded by making it larger...

In Stoves - Alcohol
May 18, 8:51pm

Brunton Flex
This is the newer version of the Prumus/Brunton Crux canister-top stove and appears to have corrected faults reported by Crux owners. First the number of fold-out pot supports has increased from 3...

In Stoves - Canister
May 10, 3:38pm