Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Buck Nelson (Colter) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Alaska
About Me I have recently retired as a career smokejumper. Like most Backpackinglight members I enjoy my outdoor adventures, such as thru-hiking the AT, CDT, the Desert Trail and PCT. I recently completed a 1,000 mile traverse of northern Alaska. You can see photos and the stories at my website.
CityFairbanks
StateAlaska
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.bucktrack.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Buck Nelson

Showing 161 - 170 of 404 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...41

Forum » Thread

Re: Yellowstone River Packrafting
Very nice story and photos. That's cool that you did the upper reaches like that. Last summer I paddled the Yellowstone in a canoe from the Park to the Missouri. Two of us ran Yankee Jim in ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Yellowstone River Packrafting
February 06, 8:06am

You are welcome, German Tourist
You had some good advice on your write-up. I plan to link to it on my site if it's OK. Good luck on your next adventures!

In Post-Trip Reports » Mississippi: Thrupaddle in a folding kayak
February 04, 9:20pm

I like my new Brother sewing machine.
Another satisfied user of a new, cheap, sewing machine. If I were going to start some kind of sewing business, I'd get a high-quality bomber machine. But for the kind of occasional sewing p...

In Make Your Own Gear » They don't build them like they used to... (why you shouldn't buy a cheap modern sewing machine)
February 04, 5:36pm

Re: Mississippi: Thrupaddle in a folding kayak
Very nice, German Tourist!

In Post-Trip Reports » Mississippi: Thrupaddle in a folding kayak
February 04, 8:28am

I think a jacket will be warmer
I see people wearing parkas and jackets, not vests, here in a Fairbanks winter. The Inuit have always worn parkas. Those Denali and Everest photos don't show people wearing super puffy vests.

In GEAR » Vest vs Jacket
February 03, 8:11am

I have often swapped batteries between devices
Having common batteries may not be a necessity, but I've found it useful. For example, my camera uses AA as does my GPS. I've found that I can run my GPS for a considerable time on batterie...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Common Battery Type -- Just Another Myth?
February 01, 6:15am

Max makes a lot of sense
And +1 to the following: I agree with Max, on pretty much everything he wrote. Not that it matters, but it's nice to have someone put it so well.

In GEAR » Feathered Friends light-weight jackets are no longer made in USA!
January 24, 7:28am

Re: Experiences with satellite phones?
I have taken a sat. phone on two long, solo trips in Alaska. I have been able to call out every time except for once. The only incoming calls was when someone was going to immediately call back,...

In GEAR » Experiences with satellite phones?
January 20, 7:13am

iPhone 4s GPS has worked well for me
What Andrew said: If you are just hiking around, then I doubt you'll notice any meaningful difference. If you need to do things like surveying, avalanche spotting, and other high-precision acti...

In GEAR » iPhone vs Garmin Etrex GPS reception
January 15, 11:34am

If the shoe fits, wear it
Speaking for myself, my shoe selections work out best if I largely ignore the advice of others and wear what fits me best, Asics in my case. Now when I'm setting off for a long hike I don't...

In GEAR » Need some input on trail running shoes
January 13, 4:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Buck Nelson

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Marmot Hydrogen (2004 model)
I've got an older model with the shorter zipper that weighs 23 oz. I use it with my warm clothing (down jacket, balaclava, long underwear) on the coldest nights. I've slept toasty down into th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
December 31, 10:08pm

ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tent
I used this shelter on my Desert Trail hike, Mexico to Canada, followed by three weeks canoeing the Yellowstone River. My shelter...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
November 20, 9:43am

SMD Wild Oasis
I got my Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis for the Pacific Crest Trail. I already had the SMD Lunar Solo, which I love, but decided to save a few more ounces with the Wild Oasis. I planned to switch to the ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
December 14, 5:20pm

Darn Tough Socks Boot Sock Cushion and Full Cushion, Merino Wool
I have been a loyal Smartwool wearer for years. For me, Merino wool is the way to go. On prior thru-hikes Smartwools were very comfortable but seemed to wear out too quickly. So for the PCT I got some...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
December 03, 10:43pm

ULA Helix "Ice Axe" Potty Trowel
I bought one at the "kick-off" to use on the PCT. It broke when I was chopping snow to melt for drinking water. I was appalled when I looked at the broken pieces to see how weak this "i...

In Climbing Gear & Accessories
December 02, 10:56pm

GoLite GoLite customer service
I liked my Golite Infinity pack but the material was too weak. Golite quickly and cheerfully replaced the pack. Unfortunately I hadn't requested a newer model and after nearly two thousand miles t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 05, 12:05pm

Everestgear.com Customer Service
I hiked the Continental Divide Trail last summer. In New Mexico there were two pieces of new gear I wanted. A friend put in an order with Everestgear.com on my behalf to be delivered to Ghost Ranch. W...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 21, 4:05pm

PossumDown Gloves (BPL Gear Shop)
I used these gloves on my CDT hike. Ultralight hiking is all about tradeoffs, and these gloves were a good compromise. Under normal cool conditions, say to just below freezing, they were quite warm. T...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
November 26, 8:41am

Titanium Goat AGP AGP
I used these poles on my CDT and PCT and Desert Trail hikes. I often hike with a single pole. These are not poles for people hard on gear. If y...

In Trekking Poles
October 08, 1:58pm

Pak-Lite White Super
This is a very good light. I'm giving it a 4 instead of a 5 because this is the Backpackinglight website, and there are other lights that are much smaller, lighter, and do a similarly good job. Fo...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 08, 11:31am