Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Chris Townsend (Christownsend) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Cairngorms National Park
About Me outdoor writer and photographer, author of many books & articles on backpacking, hill walking and ski touring. Very keen on long distance walks and wilderness. Hikes: PCT (1982), CDT (1985), length of the Canadian Rockies, Yukon end to end, Arizona Trail, length of Norway and Sweden, round of the Munros and Tops, Land's End to John O'Groats and many shorter (under 800 miles) hikes.
CityGrantown-on-Spey
CountryScotland
My Website URLhttp://www.christownsendoutdoors.co.uk

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Chris Townsend

Showing 161 - 170 of 414 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...42

Forum » Thread

Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister
Actually, the blue Campingaz C206 puncture canisters are a butane/propane mix and have been for a few years. They are much less expensive than resealable cartridges. I use them with an adaptor for ...

In GEAR » Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister
October 11, 5:19pm

Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister
You can't seal a puncture canister. You leave the stove attached to it. Or use an adapter that stays attached to it so the stove can be removed. Rather than a stove that fits puncture canisters...

In GEAR » Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister
October 11, 5:06pm

Polar bears
Luke, thanks for the info. I rented the rifle in Longyearbyen on arrival. At the time it was a requirement for ski touring groups to carry one - this was in 1996, I don't know the current regul...

In GEAR » Ultralight Rifle
October 11, 3:20pm

Ultralight rifle - freedom
I guess we all react differently. I hadn't noticed lots of angry folks, just a few people who express their views forcefully, which is fine with me. I agree with last two posters. Dewey, tha...

October 11, 12:19pm

I'm well aware that there are huge differences between the USA and Canada, having spent much time in both countries. I've walked and camped all over the place in Canada too. Ths situation...

October 11, 9:25am

Dewey, I don't know which Brits you've met but you've picked up much misleading information. In Scotland, where I live, there is a right of access to all land and a right to camp wil...

October 11, 7:31am

MSR Superfly stove
"The MSR multivalve stove has had a mixed reception." Willem, I didn't know that! I've had an MSR Superfly for many years and it has always worked well. As it's not the lighte...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Gear for Long Distance Hiking: Four Months in Europe
October 11, 6:42am

HDR - High Dynamic Range Camera?
Greg, According to Ricoh the GR-D III has an auto bracket function of -0.5EV, ±0, +0.5EV / -0.3EV, ±0, +0.3EV. When I had a camera to test (it's gone back to Ricoh) I didn'y try the au...

In Photography » HDR - High Dynamic Range Camera?
October 09, 3:14pm

HDR - High Dynamic Range Camera?
The Ricoh CX1, CX2 and GRD III all have a double shot mode where the camera takes two shots at different settings on one press of the button and then combines them for greater dynamic range. It wor...

In Photography » HDR - High Dynamic Range Camera?
October 09, 1:56pm

"... So what camera do you carry?"
Mark, the GRDIII is certainly a lovely camera to use, unlike the DP1, but I think it's as much a niche camera due to the fixed wide angle lens. I haven't used a DP2 but the DP1 images aren&...

In GEAR » ... So what camera do you carry?
October 02, 11:43am

All Reader Reviews by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend has posted no reviews.