Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Shawn Basil (Bearpaw) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Eagle Scout, Philmont Ranger, Marine Corps Arctic/Mountain training (Norway deployments), Appalachian Trail Through-hiker ('99), NOLS Instructor ('01-'03), Trail Crew Leader (Cumberland Trail Conference, '00-'05), Pack and Bootfitter (REI, '01-'06), Colorado Trail Through-hiker ('06)
CityNashville
StateTennessee
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6275

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Shawn Basil

Showing 161 - 170 of 284 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...29

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Water bladders?
Thanks. From the pictures, and the way the suspension is described, it seemed the framesheet would be be too closely attached to the crybag to slide in a bladder. Your explanation clears this up.

In GEAR » ULA Arctic 1000 Packs
April 08, 4:28pm

Water bladders?
I'm just wondering how those who use hydration bladders while hiking are going to manage with this pack. I realize you can place a bladder in the exterior pocket, but this would place a tremen...

In GEAR » ULA Arctic 1000 Packs
April 07, 11:55am

Re: Re: Poncho vs Rain Jacket
I'm actually starting the last week of June and finishing around the 4th of July. Sorry.

In GEAR » Poncho Vs. Rain Jacket
April 04, 1:53pm

Poncho vs Rain Jacket
I tend to use the jacket more and the poncho less, despite southeastern humidity. I primarily use my poncho in warm weather when I am hammocking. However, I mostly just use it as a fly for the He...

In GEAR » Poncho Vs. Rain Jacket
April 04, 12:39pm

Re: flipped pic
OK, folks. I went to an engineering school (the Naval Academy) where I was a history major (36 hours) with LOTS of engineering, math, and science hours (88 total). The Engineers always used to ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Diminshing Returns?
April 03, 12:46pm

Re: Choosing the right shoes..
If your foot is too wide when just trying them on, you're setting yourself up for issues after a full day (or multiple days) of walking with even a relatively small amount of pack weight. I wo...

In GEAR » Choosing the right shoes..
April 02, 3:39pm

Jet vs Quest
I got my Jet this past week, and it is NOT an exact take-off on the older REI UL 30. It uses a very light plastic framesheet. It is designed to be used as a lightweight daypack, though it could e...

In GEAR » REI Jet UL pack (30L)
April 02, 12:52pm

Re: Re: Re:Re: Re: Re: Re: Vasque Catalyst Shoe
"The Sundowners are labeled (marketed?) as "Heavyweight Backpacking" boots" They ARE heavyweight boots, well approaching 4 pounds in a Men's 10. I can't imagine usin...

In GEAR » Vasque Catayst
March 23, 4:43pm

Re: Re: REI Jet UL pack (30L)
"Where is Bearpaw when you need him?" I just ordered one last week, but we won't get them at my store for another week or two. I'll be sure to give word once I get it. The on...

In GEAR » REI Jet UL pack (30L)
March 16, 12:20pm

Re: Why Backpacking?
I'll be honest. I don't much care for overnighters. They don't do the two thing I really need to feel the love of backpacking. These are: 1) Help me lose body weight. I am not...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why Backpacking?
March 14, 1:15pm

All Reader Reviews by Shawn Basil

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Gregory Z-55
After loving my old Gregory Z-Pack, I had high hopes for the beautifully ventilated Z-55. As a southeastern hiker, I usually head west to high cool mountains when summer heat and humidity begin to ba...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 11:25am

ULA Catalyst
I've owned 14 packs in the last 8 years and the ULA Catalyst is the best pack of the lot. I've used in Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau and Great Smoky Mountains, Nevada's Tahoe Rim Tra...

August 01, 9:23pm

Princeton Tec EOS
For years I used my Tikka and Tikka Plus, exuberantly satisfied with the compact, lightweight, and long-lasting nature of their light. But at times, I found that when I really needed extra light, suc...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 24, 3:53pm

Probar Energy Bar
When I first tried a Probar, I though I had finally found the "perfect trail bar" to challenge the venerable Bear Valley Pemmican Bar. It packs smaller, weighs slightly less, performs just ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 5:13pm

Bear Valley Mealpack Bars
Bear Valley Meal Pack and Pemmican Bars are, without a doubt, one of the most efficient foods a backpacker can hope to carry. Since I first encountered them as a scout at Philmont 22 years ago, they ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 4:55pm

GoLite Phantom Jacket
This was my jacket during my Colorado Trail through-hike this past summer. It's breathability is better than most, and its ventilation is superb. I hiked many miles over two weeks through monsoo...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:55pm

Arc'Teryx Sirrus Jacket
This jacket, made in 2002 and 2003 used a combination of XCR Goretex with Paclite fabric, a combination I have not seen in other jackets. The breathability is, to put it mildly, superb. The material...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:44pm

Mountainsmith Ghost
For warm weather in areas where I don't need to carry large amounts of water, this is my favorite pack. I use the original blue 2002 version. The pack is a dream for my longer torso. For those ...

February 21, 1:36pm

Gregory Z-Pack
I love my old, but tough 2004 Z-pack. It served me well for over 1000 miles and is still in good overall shape. My size large weighs in at exactly 3 pounds (after trimming off nearly 4 ounces of unn...

February 21, 1:23pm

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
I first read The Complete Walker III in 1997. I'd been backpacking recreationally for 15 years, but still learned a tremendous amount and appreciated the well-written prose and humor in the book....

In Books and Media
February 21, 10:27am