Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 161 - 170 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: pole bendability
Thanks Sam- I was wondering about cutting chunks of tent pole, but it seems like it could be "interesting" to get them to match. Totally spaced on kite sites!

In Make Your Own Gear » DIY poles with the most "bend-ability"?
October 15, 9:13am

Re: Re: Re: Best 15-20 Degree bag for the Weight? WM UltraLite? Hummingbird? Others?
Hi Tom, Yeah, there's the Versalite at a theoretical 10*F. However, note that the Versalite is 3 inches wider in girth with only 1 ounce more down than the Apache. I have some variation or a...

In GEAR » Best 15-20 Degree bag for the Weight? WM UltraLite? Hummingbird? Others?
October 15, 9:07am

Re: NFCWS
Hey Phil, I don't have pics of the system. Really straight-forward, though. A Platypus 3.0L Hoser; cut the hose ~midway, splice in the Sweetwater SiltStopper; cut the hose a couple inches furth...

In GEAR » gravity filter
October 15, 9:01am

Re: winter-worthy NeoAir
not to be snarky at all, but you might try the search function for something like "Neoair winter;" much discussion in the past

In GEAR » winter-worthy NeoAir
October 15, 8:56am

Re: Re: Re: DIY poles with the most "bend-ability"?
Sure! One thing I'm not sure about sourcing is a ferrule or joint. I'm tempted to say you could use, say, 1/4" ID rubber tubing, but am not sure it would be rigid enough at the joints....

October 14, 10:36am

Re: Sidewinder or Regular
I use the regular; half of a cut-off Gatorade-ish bottle is under an ounce and works great for holding it all together. My mug caps off the top.

In GEAR » Cook/Eat System
October 14, 10:26am

Re: Caledra Ti-Tri
Re: your Inferno question, no, it is not flawed. The thread you referenced was on a one-off experimental-ish thing. I own an Inferno and love it. It's by far the most effective and versatil...

In GEAR » Cook/Eat System
October 14, 9:39am

Re: Pack Ideas
On GoLite: the Pursuit is the smallest 50L I've ever seen, with a remarkably narrow packbag. I'd count it out. The Quest does not have bottom opening; the Odyssey does. You should be abl...

In GEAR » Pack Ideas
October 14, 9:08am

Re: DIY poles with the most "bend-ability"?
Many companies use Delrin rods or something similar for lightweight hooped bivies, and of course as pack frame components and more. Cheap and easy. Check this out: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/...

October 13, 7:57pm

Re: Re: Re: Bivy
Javan, your comment re:Momentum: "Waterproof? No, not at all" was exactly my point. It is not waterproof, nor is it intended to be. WPB fabrics are. Yes, I've made many things w/M...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bivy
October 13, 7:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.