BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1591 - 1600 of 1860 | Page: 1 ...151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ...186

Forum » Thread

golite shelters
That is quite a selection of shelters. Looks like they are re-investing the $$ from sale of their brand name, very good. I'm not so sure about the claim of “world's first free-standin...

In Editor's Roundtable » GoLite's New Shelter Line for 2008 (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2007)
August 10, 7:47am

re:cutting ripstop
Sharp scissors will work OK and are probably the best choice if you are making one small project but if you just once use a rotary cutter and a cutting mat you'll never go back. Not cheap th...

In Make Your Own Gear » cutting ripstop
August 06, 8:57am

Re: silnylon
Thru-Hiker

In GEAR » Silnylon?
July 09, 2:41am

Re: Sewing Netting to Silnylon
I have had problems in the past with the netting stretching as I sew the long seams of netting to the floor. Any tips? Fold the edge of the silnylon over the edge of the netting in a 1/2" h...

In Make Your Own Gear » Sewing Netting to Silnylon
July 01, 3:05pm

Re: Philmont
Ditto what David said ... but not just for Philmont. One of my favorite quips is "Nowhere in the objectives of scouting will you find 'Adults proving how well they can camp'".

In GEAR » Alcohol Stove for Philmont?
June 29, 8:10pm

Re: summer backpacking
It's not my backyard but Rainier's Wonderland Trail comes highly regarded

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » summer backpacking
June 27, 8:01pm

Re: My idea regarding the new Cocoon line
Rather than dismantling a nice $180 insulated jacket, consider shopping around for a good seamstress (sp?) and order a $40 Liberty Ridge kit with Momentum fabric from thru-hiker (place the order by...

In GEAR » My idea regarding the new Cocoon line
June 27, 7:56pm

Mesh for 45 gram wood burning stove
Let me guess ..... you got the mesh from McMaster-Carr? what type stainless steel?

In Make Your Own Gear » 45 gram wood burning stove
June 27, 4:25pm

Re: 45 gram wood burning stove
Very nice! can ou provide dimemsions? and specs for the mesh used?

In Make Your Own Gear » 45 gram wood burning stove
June 27, 11:14am

Re: Arctic Pack photos
I did not realize the shoulder straps attached to the drybag! That strengthens my conviction that a GearSkin might be a good alternative for that type of pack. It doesn't come with drybags bu...

In GEAR » ULA Arctic 1000 Packs
June 20, 12:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am