BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1591 - 1600 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166

Forum » Thread

Re: Titanium fuel bottles
I've heard of vintage Gregory and Dana packs snagging Big Bucks from Japanese ebay buyers, so you never know! Oddly enough, the MSR Ti bottles are from Japan. I'd love to test the Apex and hopef...

In GEAR » Titanium fuel bottles
November 11, 4:21pm

Re: Titanium fuel bottles
Hi Roy, I don't know of anybody making them at present. As you note, MSR dropped them and the most likely company to make them--Snow Peak--only makes a single aluminum one, perhaps because they ...

In GEAR » Titanium fuel bottles
November 11, 2:03pm

Re: Ursack Hybrid approval?
Interesting. I'll let someone else be the first to try these out in Vidette Meadows, but if the combination proves successful it's a definite leap forward from rigid canisters, both in weight an...

In GEAR » Ursack Hybrid approval?
November 11, 11:54am

Re: Kahtoola crampons - better fit on trail runners?
Hi Anatoly, In general, I find the Kahtoolas to not interfere with foot flex as much as even lightweight climbers crampons. It might be the result of the long flex bar span between the forefoot ...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Grivel Air Tech Light vs Stubai Ultralight crampons
November 09, 2:06pm

Re: Kahtoola crampons
Be sure to compare the Kahtoola steel with the original aluminum. The points are longer and the fronts jut forward at a shallower angle, which should accommodate limited front-pointing. FWIW I'v...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Grivel Air Tech Light vs Stubai Ultralight crampons
November 08, 1:56pm

Re: Pack recommendation for 10 day hikes
Osprey Aether 60 is worth a look. It's been my longhaul pack the last several seasons, in part because it's able to manage loads approaching 40 pounds, it can accommodate a bear canister, and its c...

In GEAR » Pack recommendation for 10 day hikes
November 08, 1:53pm

Re: stove to melt snow
Lots to think about here. It'd be helpful to know whether you're talking about ovenight trips, weeklong trips, etc. I can put up with about anything on an overnight but after two or three night ...

In GEAR » stove to melt snow
November 06, 1:24pm

Re: Red "M"
Okay boss, you can give my points to Fornshell. (Like he'll need them.)

In GEAR » Not a Gear Question But...
November 03, 9:07pm

Re: Red "M"
There was a thought early on to use a red "P" but it was too reminiscent of when my dog had bladder stones.

In GEAR » Not a Gear Question But...
November 03, 8:58pm

Re: new water treatment!
Despite my lofty status as a staffer, I have absolutely no idea what Ryan & Co. are up to here. So it's on with the speculation hat (a nice orange for Halloween). Where ClO2 is used for residen...

In GEAR » New Water Treatment Product
October 31, 11:01am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm