Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1581 - 1590 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166

Forum » Thread

Re: McHale Bayonet
Thanks Bob, you got me 90% of the way there. You'd think the website could at least give a hint ;-)

In Gear Deals » McHale Packs customer sale
November 20, 6:33pm

Re: Washing 800+ fill down.
An additional tip when hand-washing: Turn the bag inside-out and stuff it into a stuffsack. Shove the stuffsack underwater and pull out the bag. As the bag inflates it'll draw in water and begin th...

In GEAR » Washing 800+ fill down.
November 20, 6:31pm

Re: Safety Lanyard - Better Ideas??
I've accumumulated several lanyards that are fitted with a plastic breakaway clasp at the opposite end of the clip. They're designed to function exactly as you've described, and can't be felt at th...

In Multiple Use Gear » Safety Lanyard - Better Ideas??
November 20, 6:25pm

Re: McHale Packs customer sale
IIUC you need to be an exsiting customer with measurements on file. I don't think the order two and get 40% off the second gambit is what he has in mind, but it doesn't cost anything to ask. htt...

In Gear Deals » McHale Packs customer sale
November 20, 12:14pm

Re: Camera & film used in JMT pics
Agree, very good technique, using the right tools. Looking at these shots makes me want to go hiking, stat! Me still likey film! I've settled on 1x36-exp roll/day +1 as my film budget. Most of t...

In Post-Trip Reports » JMT 2005
November 19, 12:03pm

Re: Correction on Mountainsmith's Mountainlight Line of Packs
That's good news. At the time we published the Ghost review the word from MS was that the line had been discontinued. Perhaps a great hew and cry from the masses changed their minds :-) p.s. Bac...

In GEAR » Correction on Mountainsmith's Mountainlight Line of Packs
November 18, 3:24pm

Re: UV system
Hi Paul, My pond system emitter is 25 watts and has an output range of 250-280nm. The maker doesn't give an intensity spec, but does note it's 40% efficient in generating UV (I suppose the rest ...

In GEAR » MELTING SNOW: Fuel Efficiency and Boil Time Comparisons of Four Gas Backpacking Stoves in Winter Conditions
November 17, 4:41pm

Re: Watermelon snow
I typically see pink snow in summertime conditions when there's usually plenty of water available directly and it can be entirely avoided. Not to say that the algae can't appear in meltwater! On...

In GEAR » MELTING SNOW: Fuel Efficiency and Boil Time Comparisons of Four Gas Backpacking Stoves in Winter Conditions
November 17, 2:00pm

Re: Snow: Boil or Treat?
Let me refine my question a bit. All I've ever observed in my snowmelt pot has been tree debris, pollen and the occasional frozen insect (nope, not claiming microscopic vision). I only snowc...

November 16, 3:43pm

Re: Snow: Boil or Treat?
I'm curious as to who out there is chemically treating melted snow and where are you camping that you feel it's necessary to do so? I know there is a high prevalence of gastroenteritis at Denali...

November 16, 1:03pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm