Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1571 - 1580 of 2116 | Page: 1 ...149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ...212

Forum » Thread

Re: Is TT DR the only one?
No. The warmlites are around 2.33lb or so. All options add weight, of course. http://warmlite.com/tents/tents-technical-data Many others in that weight range. Too many to list...

In GEAR » Is TT DR the only one?
September 04, 4:30am

Southern NH Hikers
I live in the Finger Lakes. I usually travel to the High Peaks areas for September camping, but I have people coming this weekend and have a boat to finish. Anyway, a couple nights doesn't soun...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Southern NH Hikers
September 03, 10:29am

Re: Re: Is the Caldera cone so much more efficient rather other alcohol stove set ups?
HJ, Just a couple cones soldered together for a stove. It worked pretty well. The other stove is even simpler. I was testing fuel/air mixing for greater efficiency. It wasn't enough to worry a...

In GEAR » Is the Caldera cone so much more efficient rather other alcohol stove set ups?
September 02, 2:57am

"Ultralight Tip of the Week"
Mike, Your gear lists are excelent! Last week Hurricane Irene really hammered the High Peaks and Northville/Placid Trail forcing closures of the eastern trails. Hopefully, they will be opened back...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
September 02, 2:20am

Is the Caldera cone so much more efficient rather other alcohol stove set ups?
Yes, it is quite efficient. It typically will save about a half to one ounce per day. A lot will depend on the fuel. Ethanol vs. Methanol, and the mixes, all vary. The difference between two stoves...

In GEAR » Is the Caldera cone so much more efficient rather other alcohol stove set ups?
August 31, 2:16pm

Re: Suggestions for 1person tent bigger than contrail but still light?
Richard, as you found out, small tents and condensation are a real problem with most single skin designs. Note that condensation is a problem with a two skin design, too. I will not offer any re...

In GEAR » Suggestions for 1person tent bigger than contrail but still light?
August 27, 3:26am

"Old stove?"
I still use the SVEA 123R. It works every time. I note that I did have a problem with the saftey valve when I ran out of white gas and used acetone, instead. The safety valve popped after boiling w...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Old stove?
August 26, 3:27am

"How many packs do you own?"
I have 8 or 9. Several others were given to people. The main packs I have and use are three 1) Osprey Atmos 50 - More of a portage pack really. Used more for cannoeing. 2) GossamerGear G5 - Older...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How many packs do you own?
August 26, 3:12am

Re: Re: HUH?
Yeah, I agree with Bob. For light weight cook wear it doesn't really matter. A few dings and dents are OK. But for stakes, strength vs weight comes into play. Ti hook stakes weigh in at about 6...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » titanium stakes in a carry-on bag on flight
August 19, 7:47am

Re: Glen Van Peski's Shelter--Wedge
The tarp is a variation of the hunters tarp. Note that in most instances you only need 5 stakes. The wings make up the tieouts for two. They are great little shelters. Light for their coveage, and,...

In GEAR » Glen Van Peski's Shelter--Wedge
August 19, 3:11am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am