Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1571 - 1580 of 1934 | Page: 1 ...149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ...194

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Epitaph for Cuben - The 422 mm hydrostatic head dirty little secret
A circular reference is much preferable to a "Unrecoverable Application Error" or a "General Protection Fault" (for us old-timers). Segment violation...sounds sexy...hey, hey...

In GEAR » Cuben - The 422 mm hydrostatic head dirty little secret
March 23, 9:06am

Re: Tarp
"I like the Tarp + Net Tent idea but I am going for full weather protection as well as bug protection. I am afraid I will not get that in a setup like that." Depends. The size/shape of...

In GEAR » Shelter Crossroads
March 23, 9:02am

"Dr Bonner’s use for toothpaste?"
No. Toothpaste is one of those things that in most modern societies we like to think we cannot do without. Not true. Mostly, just brushing is all that is necessary. Followed by rinsing. 99.99% of t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Dr Bonner’s use for toothpaste?
March 23, 8:41am

Compressing down bag for period of time
How is vacume baging and packing in a crate for years sound. This is what the military does with their gear...saves a LOT of space. A lot of the loss of lofting is due to moisture. Kept dry and...

In GEAR » Compressing down bag for period of time
March 22, 6:26pm

16 lb Dilemma
NIX: Vapor Trail - 37oz Replace with G4(17oz) or Mariposa Plus(23oz) NIX: BA SL1 w/titanium stakes 40.6oz Tarp/Bug Bivy (~15-20oz) Keep MH Phantom 32 - 23oz Nix: Thermarest PL+ Reg - 24oz...

In Gear Lists » 16 lb Dilemma
March 22, 5:51am

Re: testing
"Marco, interesting you should say, "especially with laminates". :>) I should not make it sound that easy to do, but it's something to do if a person has time - a science proj...

March 21, 1:53pm

Re: Is no one offended?
Yes. I am. No, I am not Gay, but, freedom is the right to disent. Those slurs are simply an excercise of those rights. Even if I find them distastefull when we were discussing tens of thousands of ...

In Chaff » THE WRATH of the Almighty - Mark My Words!!
March 21, 7:04am

Re: hydrostatic testing at home
Dan, yes. You could certainly do that. Some materials will respond differently to small diameters. Example: aluminum foil. You end up testing the weight of a volume of water, which can change with ...

March 21, 4:01am

Re: Re: no quite
"Is a hydrostatic head relevant to field performance? Most of us science types think so. But that is secondary to what was the issue here: that that particular weight of Cuban Fiber fabric had...

March 20, 6:32am

Re: most interesting
"maybe some of those "condensation" problems in the rain are unsolvable .... if the results hold ... i wonder if the "misting" can aggravate condensation problems by int...

March 19, 7:30am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am