BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1571 - 1580 of 1855 | Page: 1 ...149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ...186

Forum » Thread

Carrying water on shoulder straps
One of the things I have found is that it adds all the weight, and counter balance weight from the pack, to your shoulders. I like the weight lower, on my hips and off my spine, so I don't use ...

In GEAR » Carrying water on shoulder straps
February 21, 11:16am

Re: lightweight traction aid?
YakTrax are quite a bit lighter at ~4oz/pair, depending on size. If your are going to be out for any length of time, say a few days, bring a tube of super glue for repairs. Not as good as Microspik...

In GEAR » lightweight traction aid?
February 21, 9:53am

NICE canoeing shots!
Thanks!

In On the Web » Monday Meditation
February 21, 6:10am

Re: Simmerlite Weight vs. WindPro Weight
Basically, I am down to three stoves for camping. 1) Simmerlite: This was purchased primarily to get a replacement pump for the older whisperlite which blew apart. But it ran about the same so I g...

In GEAR » Simmerlite Weight vs. WindPro Weight
February 21, 4:05am

"What pot size for is right for me?"
Well, before the comfort mode kicked in, I would just use my 12oz cup with some pre-treated water in it and about a half tablet of esbit, a little less. It really doesn't need to boil. When it ...

In GEAR » What pot size for is right for me?
February 20, 11:37am

Re: Re: Simmerlite Weight vs. WindPro Weight
"I own a Simmerlite stove, but I have to admit little field experience with it. Since the pump is the same as on an MSR XGK (most of my experience), I keep thinking that they will operate simi...

February 20, 3:22am

Simmerlite Weight vs. WindPro Weight
I would say that offhand, barring personal preferances, that that is about right. Note that the Simmerlite is one of the worst performing white gas stoves I have ever used for fuel consumption, onl...

February 19, 5:28pm

Effect of long-term long-distance hiking on health
There is a lot going on with your body. Doctors and biochemists don't know everything. I certainly don't, being neither. But, I do know your body is one of the most efficient chemical proce...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Effect of long-term long-distance hiking on health
February 19, 10:36am

Small Wonders of Latin America - Global Test Photo Essay
Really excelent shots! WOW! And Thanks!

In Editor's Roundtable » Small Wonders of Latin America - Global Test Photo Essay
February 19, 6:45am

Effect of long-term long-distance hiking on health
The calcium buildups associated with arthritis are a response of the body to repair damage and normal wear and tear on the joints. This usually involves 2 major components to keep it to a minimum. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Effect of long-term long-distance hiking on health
February 18, 7:12am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am