BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1571 - 1580 of 1857 | Page: 1 ...149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: Boots boots boots? help!
Boots are a bit of a problem. Fit is all important to comfort. Plastic will never conform to your feet. Leather will. Fabric will, but can change every time you lace them. Getting by the fit proble...

In GEAR » Boots boots boots? help!
February 22, 5:24am

Re: canister leaks
"Once, after I uncrewed the stove, the canister slow leaked, so I just left the stove on the canister until it was empty." But, the problem was I hadn't noticed it.

In GEAR » Simmerlite Weight vs. WindPro Weight
February 21, 4:40pm

Carrying water on shoulder straps
One of the things I have found is that it adds all the weight, and counter balance weight from the pack, to your shoulders. I like the weight lower, on my hips and off my spine, so I don't use ...

In GEAR » Carrying water on shoulder straps
February 21, 11:16am

Re: lightweight traction aid?
YakTrax are quite a bit lighter at ~4oz/pair, depending on size. If your are going to be out for any length of time, say a few days, bring a tube of super glue for repairs. Not as good as Microspik...

In GEAR » lightweight traction aid?
February 21, 9:53am

NICE canoeing shots!
Thanks!

In On the Web » Monday Meditation
February 21, 6:10am

Re: Simmerlite Weight vs. WindPro Weight
Basically, I am down to three stoves for camping. 1) Simmerlite: This was purchased primarily to get a replacement pump for the older whisperlite which blew apart. But it ran about the same so I g...

February 21, 4:05am

"What pot size for is right for me?"
Well, before the comfort mode kicked in, I would just use my 12oz cup with some pre-treated water in it and about a half tablet of esbit, a little less. It really doesn't need to boil. When it ...

In GEAR » What pot size for is right for me?
February 20, 11:37am

Re: Re: Simmerlite Weight vs. WindPro Weight
"I own a Simmerlite stove, but I have to admit little field experience with it. Since the pump is the same as on an MSR XGK (most of my experience), I keep thinking that they will operate simi...

February 20, 3:22am

Simmerlite Weight vs. WindPro Weight
I would say that offhand, barring personal preferances, that that is about right. Note that the Simmerlite is one of the worst performing white gas stoves I have ever used for fuel consumption, onl...

February 19, 5:28pm

Effect of long-term long-distance hiking on health
There is a lot going on with your body. Doctors and biochemists don't know everything. I certainly don't, being neither. But, I do know your body is one of the most efficient chemical proce...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Effect of long-term long-distance hiking on health
February 19, 10:36am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am