Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1571 - 1580 of 2042 | Page: 1 ...149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ...205

Forum » Thread

Re: A&H enterprises
I have also dealt with them in the past. Try again on monday. They were good a couple years ago.

In GEAR » A&H Enterprises
May 15, 11:49am

Re: loose laces
Feet are as different as fingerprints. Sometimes shoes need inserts. Sometimes they don't. Footbed design will effect that as much as lacing and inserts. Hiking in the ADK's, I mostly agree...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
May 15, 6:14am

Re: Caloric Density Spreadsheet
There are a lot of subtle pitfalls to spreadsheets for food. Yes, they might help with sorting caloric density, but you may find yourself craving certain foods and not prepared to eat that snicke...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Caloric Density Spreadsheet
May 14, 5:27am

bic
I use bics, too. I would avoid the peizo ones due to poor track records with failures. Only a fire steel, or, mini fire steel is lighter, but, requires a bit more fiddling and dry tinder. There was...

In GEAR » Mini-Bic lighter
May 13, 3:19am

Re: mUV
I was an early adopter. It works, that is all I can say about it. The light element is not large. It requires an extra battery for all but day trips. The cover does not seal well. The leads can b...

In GEAR » Steripen users advise
May 12, 2:32pm

"Lightweight" water treatment
There are lots of water treatment options out there. A brief rundown: 1) Boiling 2) Chemicals 3) Filtering 4) None 5) Radiation Boiling, often just till it rolls. Most baddies are killed wi...

In GEAR » Light water filtration/treatment options ?
May 10, 11:20am

Re: Re: Carry Options
The trouble with most DSLR's is that they tend to swing as you walk. Even with a chest case, they make life difficult to have out. Clips require unclipping before use, soo, you miss the snap pi...

In Photography » School me on carry options for a larger camera
May 10, 3:21am

5 Cup Perk Weight
http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Aluminum-4-Person-Cook-Set/dp/B000P9EZWU Buying the whole set is cheaper than most. The pot, lid and bail handle come up to about 5oz. Squash the lid down to level ...

In GEAR » Looking for aluminum pot
May 10, 3:16am

Beginner/First Time Gear
I will have to agree, buy you pack, LAST. Make sure your gear will fit. 1) If you are not sure you will like backpacking/hiking, certainly a 650fill down or synthetic bag will work. I have tried...

In GEAR » Beginner/First Time Gear
May 05, 12:58pm

Re: Congratulations, winners!
Congratulations to Jamie, Darian, George, Jeremy and Dan! Addie, thanks for the teaser...

In Content Solicitations » 24 Series Gear List
May 03, 3:46pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am