BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1571 - 1580 of 1778 | Page: 1 ...149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ...178

Forum » Thread

Re: re
Jerry, I agree 100%. It is hard to say from NOT getting sick. Ha ha, maybe I'll let you go without it??? ;-) Nahhh, that won't work....different water....

In GEAR » What contaminates do you treat your water for? And what do you use to filter/purify?
January 29, 2:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Size doesn't matter.
Yeah, I was living up there about 35-40 years ago, doing carpentry mostly. Building camps, hotels, motels and doing repair work before I went back to school. I watched some of my favorite places di...

In GEAR » What contaminates do you treat your water for? And what do you use to filter/purify?
January 29, 2:42pm

First Gear List
My thanks for your service, too. I would say to leave it. A jacket or down sweater would be my only addition. The AT is a long trail. As you go you will find yourself sending back what is not wo...

In Gear Lists » First Gear List
January 29, 1:53pm

Re: adjustment
The bottom straps look to be anchored to the buckles. I don't see any room for adjustment. Ahhh... OK. It appear the one strap is longer than the other. Got it! Never mind, my mistake!

In Make Your Own Gear » carbon frame pack experiment 2
January 29, 1:43pm

Re: Re: Size doesn't matter.
"A lot of lakes in the Adirdonacks are in fact sterile (and hence lifeless, leading to their crystalline clarity)... due to acid rain." Untrue. The acid rain was only bad in the ADK...

January 29, 11:14am

Size doesn't matter.
No, bacterial size does NOT matter for infectivity. Though it is true that the largest cells (a common egg cell) is eaten as food. Normally you body just digests any bacteria pretty much the same w...

January 29, 6:23am

Fast Stash
Nice, in MSR's typically overdone way. I would loose the bottom clips, poles and stakes. I am betting you can get close to two pounds without touching anything. Too bad they cannot get things ...

In GEAR » MSR Fast Stash **photo heavy**
January 29, 4:56am

Adjustmet?
I don't see any adjustment. Was that the goal?

In Make Your Own Gear » carbon frame pack experiment 2
January 29, 4:36am

Carbon fiber/aluminum poles
I usually do a single layer wrap of light nylon line, followed by a layer of epoxy. Adding about 3# pull will add an overall ~300# of pressure (think strength) to the lower ~8". I have been c...

In GEAR » Cafrbon fiber/aluminum poles
January 29, 4:29am

Waterbobble water bottles
What do they weigh?

In GEAR » Waterbobble water bottles
January 29, 3:23am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am