Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1571 - 1580 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166

Forum » Thread

Re: msr capillary stove system
Good question. I've lost track of this technology after MSR showed prototypes back in '04. That they were't very light and at the same time, projected to be quite expensive seemed to work against t...

In GEAR » msr capillary stove system
January 02, 1:59pm

Re: Essence Pack
Hi Ron, I'm always gratified to see new and different takes on well-established gear concepts, which on first glance the Essence seems to represent. That it's not ninty-six grams isn't a persona...

In GEAR » Essence has arrived!!
January 02, 1:51pm

Re: How to sleep without FRICTION??
I've switched to a NeatSheet as a non-slip groundcloth. Works great. For slick shelter floors, striping it with some silicone seems to work against mild slopes.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to sleep without FRICTION??
December 27, 11:21am

Re: Questions on 2006 Osprey Aether 60
Hi Will, I enjoyed your review--the Aether is one of my favorite packs and it's interesting to see how much it's evolved. I've got a 1st gen (2# 5oz, size large for those keeping score at home) ...

In GEAR » Osprey Aether 2006
December 15, 10:57am

Re: Grivel Air Tech Light crampons tested in shop
Hi Anatoly, Sorry for the delay, but I've just now received the Kahtoola steels I'll be testing for Backpackgeartest. All I've had time for is to fit them to my boots and trail sneakers, and com...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Grivel Air Tech Light vs Stubai Ultralight crampons
December 10, 11:43am

MSR Ti bottles
They've been gone for awhile, so your best bet may be ebay, etc. FWIW the weights aren't much different from the MSR aluminum bottles, but they're much more dent-resistant.

In GEAR » MSR Titanium Fuel Bottles
December 09, 2:29pm

Re: Nalgene Makes a Fuel Bottle
If you can find one of the Nalgene bottles I'd grab it, because I think it's discontinued (it's no longer listed on the Nalgene Website). I believe the same is true for the venerable Sigg bottles.

In GEAR » Carrying white gas
December 09, 11:45am

Canister Weights
I don't think you're missing anything--aluminum is significantly lighter than steel, and the Coleman bottle's shape is pretty weight-efficient as well. If you look at the array of Lindal-valve c...

In GEAR » Empty gas canister weights
November 29, 11:17am

Re: backpacking lanterns
I like this little guy, but don't know whether it perfoms any better than the snowpeak. Being clumsy, the mesh globe is the way to go for me. http://www.primus.se/EN/products/prd_p2_221383.html ...

In GEAR » backpacking lanterns
November 28, 8:32pm

Re: McHale Bayonet
Thanks Dan, on behalf of the learning impaired :-) p.s. "Letter from Dan" is a better read than 98% of blogs.

In Gear Deals » McHale Packs customer sale
November 24, 10:37am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm