BPL Community Profile

Mark Verber (verber) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me I backpacked and climbed a lot from 1972 through the 1980s using a heavy-weight approach. In the 1990s other things filled my time. In 2001 I was again backpacking, but with a light weight approach. Most of my trips are to the sierras with a base weight normally around 9lbs.
CityMountain View
StateCA
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors
My PDF Gear List3 Season, Sierras, 4 Season Coast List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Verber

Showing 1561 - 1570 of 1689 | Page: 1 ...148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ...169

Forum » Thread

Re: where to sacrifice, tarp length or width?
I know this might be heresy, but I would suggest a slightly different take... why not upsize both dimensions a bit. We are talking about a few extra ounces, which you will truly appreciate if you ...

In GEAR » where to sacrifice, tarp length or width?
March 09, 12:20am

Re: Time for a new pack
From REI my first choice would be the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, or Alpine Vapor if you want the extra durability. If you and going to consistantly be hauling more than 30lbs or more than around 32...

In GEAR » Time for a new pack
February 26, 8:45pm

Re: Light Fixed Blade? Any knife knuts here?
There are a number of nice folders which are less than 2oz. I like the benchmade 530, the Kershaw Chive looks pretty decent. The best value would be the Opinel #7 folding knife. 1.2oz with a 3in...

In GEAR » Light Fixed Blade? Any knife knuts here?
February 23, 10:24pm

Re: JMT shelter recommendation?
I would second the observation that mosquitos are more likely to bother you than rain. [Note: not suggesting that you aren't prepared for rain, but it is much less frequent than the mosquitos mid...

In GEAR » JMT shelter recommendation?
February 22, 10:35am

Re: Re: Shell gloves?
Another option might be the REI Taped Mitten. No personal experience so I can't say they are good or bad. --mark

In GEAR » Shell gloves?
February 17, 12:25am

Re: Re: Re: essence pack + bear can
Yes, Bearicade do fit, but not as well as the ursack tko2+liner. Hopefully the ursack will make it through the conditional exceptance period.

In GEAR » essence pack + bear can
February 15, 9:00am

Re: essence pack + bear can
I didn't have any problem making things fit... and there was still room in the pockets and lid. I was carrying what: http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/backpack.html suggests with 30F lo...

In GEAR » essence pack + bear can
February 14, 11:52pm

Re: Re: TNF Moving Away from Gore
According the the lab measurements done The US Soldier Systems Center, Hyvent was approx 1/2 as breathable as Gore-Tex XCR at all humidity levels. I have never owned a Hyvent jacket, so I can't re...

In GEAR » TNF Moving Away from Gore
February 12, 6:28pm

Re: Re: Re: ready mix vs figure 4
Thanks for the clarification. A sales person told me they were the same thing, but I can easily believe they were wrong. Now I know why the figure 4 seemed heavier than the ready mix when I tried...

In GEAR » patagonia Ready Mix jacket
February 10, 5:13pm

Re: Benchmark time for Tarp Set Up?
Sounds like others are a bit faster than me. For me, five minutes was a reasonable time to get the tarp fully and optimally pitched. The tarp was up faster, but there were at least a couple of mi...

In Philosophy & Technique » Benchmark time for Tarp Set Up?
February 09, 8:11pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Verber

Showing 1 - 10 of 47 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Review

Category

Sealskinz Ultra Grip Black Glove
I tried these for part of a season and gave up. My fingers often felt cold and damp. Deterity isn't as good as I would have expected given the modest thickness of these gloves. I hated them.

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 07, 6:22pm

Santa Cruz Down Works UL Down Balaclava
What to say. It's light. It's warm. It's reasonably priced compared to equiv. warm options. I mostly use this for sleeping with my quilt.

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 07, 6:16pm

Playpus 2L Big Zip
I find that I am more consistent in drinking when I use a hydration system. The BigZip is lighter than most other hydration systems, while still having a large opening which makes filling it easier. T...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
January 07, 6:11pm

Gossamer Gear Gorilla
A perfect size pack for most of my trips and handles my standard 15-25 lbs comfortably. The use of light weight stays and a foam sit pad provides excellent carry comfort. I mostly like the extra wide ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 07, 5:51pm

Patagonia R1 Hoody
With all the talk of this item, I can't believe that there are no reviews of this item. This is arguably the best base, or light mid layer for high aerobic winter sports. Made from PowerDry grid, ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
January 01, 11:21am

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I am using the UL Caldera Cone with a MLD 850 pot. I use both alchohol and esbits, though I am using esbits more than I expect to. There are more fuel efficient / lighter stoves like the Ion. The...

In Stoves - Alcohol
January 01, 11:02am

MLD 850ml Ti Mug
The MLD 850 rocks for simple solo cooking in the pot! The pot practically hold around 800ml which is plenty of room for anything I make for myself on a solo trip. There is room to boil water and to co...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 01, 10:38am

ZebraLight H51
This is the best headlamp I have used for backpacking... ever. It's light 1.2oz (3.5oz with battery and headband) headlamp that runs on a single AA batteries. It has 6 light levels from with go...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 01, 10:23am

iTP A3 EOS Upgrade Edition
This is one of the best flashlight values: $20 for a high efficiency AAA flashlight with good regulation and a nice range of brightness settings (in lumens: 1.5 for 50h, 18 for 4h 80 for 55min). Thi...

January 01, 10:16am

Zebralight H50
5/5 for camp lighting 3/5 trail hiking 2/5 if you really need to use it for challenging night time navigation The headlight is small, energy efficient, has good regulation, and a nice set of brig...

January 01, 10:07am