BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1561 - 1570 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166

Forum » Thread

Rainbow on the Move?
As I look closely at this photo, I think I perhaps spot Franco's Rainbow passing through the trees in the background. http://contaxg.com/document.php?id=23765&full=1 Either more Aussie magic ...

In GEAR » The secret of the Rainbow
January 16, 3:12pm

Re: relative battery costs
Ian, In lighting applications it's hard to make a straight cost-benefit arguement for lithium cells, not when they're as much as ten times the cost of alkalines. However, if you value or perhaps...

In GEAR » Headlights for Rainier in Winter
January 16, 12:37pm

Re: Hand crank pump for water filters
I've long thought (especially after pumping a couple gallons) that a crank-motion pump would be easier and faster than the typical linear-motion pump, even those that pump in both directions. I'd t...

In GEAR » Hand crank pump for water filters
January 14, 11:13am

Re: foretrex and UTM
Per manual p.47, the Foretrex can be changed to UTM. I didn't find a similar page for the Forerunner, but pure navigation isn't that series' focus. http://www.garmin.com/manuals/Foretrex201_Owne...

In GEAR » Garmin Foretrex Question
January 09, 7:36pm

Re: Hammock warmth
I'm willing to bet Carol's not sad the temps didn't drop terribly low ;-) I think of a hammock as an inverse convection oven--call it a convection refrigerator--and I'm wary of tackling anything...

In GEAR » UL hommock camping
January 06, 1:47pm

Re: confusion with Ray Way
Curious, I perused the site and while they note the kit is to be used in conjunction with the book I couldn't find any documentation that they wouldn't sell the kit without the book. As you not...

In Make Your Own Gear » confusion with Ray Way
January 03, 11:51am

Re: Canon SD400
I've not yet found a digicam suitable for me, but I bought my wife an SD400 for her birthday (to replace her dead digicam). It's a very competent little camera, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the ...

In GEAR » Lightweight digital cameras
January 03, 10:58am

Re: Filter
Looks like it's also available directly from Innova: http://www.innovapurewater.com/html/products/biological_products_list.htm

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Simplicity
January 02, 2:31pm

Re: Re: Essence-Ultralight Revolution-NOT
Oh yeah, forgot to ask: will the Essence accommodate a bear canister (vertical/horizontal/both)? Thanks

In GEAR » Essence has arrived!!
January 02, 2:22pm

Re: Leki anti-shock problem. Help?
Also check whether the threaded stud might be bent. I bent mine somehow and both the shock absorber and expansion joint would hang up. REI-Leki replaced the section and all was well (after three ye...

In GEAR » Leki anti-shock problem. Help?
January 02, 2:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm