BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1551 - 1560 of 1573 | Page: 1 ...139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158

Forum » Thread

According to my source, it is .5oz Primaloft Sport.
Don't you mean 5 oz Primaloft Sport? That would make both the vest and jacket about 1.1" thick and total ensemble about 2.5" thick which is what is needed for light work at -60F and about the l...

In GEAR » Special Forces Clothing System.
June 03, 3:12pm

PCU Level 7
What is the loft of this garment class?

In GEAR » Special Forces Clothing System.
June 03, 9:33am

Emissivity
Richard S said, “Isn't radiant heat loss a reality with darker coloured fabrics, due to the fact that the emissivity climbs towards 1.0 as the material becomes "blacker"? The short answer is ...

In GEAR » big agnes mummy style mattresses
May 21, 12:07pm

Recommendation for Bryan
In my response I assumed no insulation added by the clothing that you wear to bed in 25 degree weather. That condition would also apply to garments such as silk weight long johns. If your sleep...

May 18, 11:30pm

Questions: Applied Heat Transfer 101
I want to preface this response by stating that I place more importance on “real world” experience such as reported by Jim, Frank, and others than I do on the theory. That said, I will attempt ...

May 18, 11:24am

BA pads & reflectix
Jim, please don't bow out. Your personal experience is of significant value to me and I expect the others monitoring this forum. We have both found similar results with the BA Insulated Air Cor...

May 18, 9:10am

Sleeping pads and cold weather
Frank is correct that the material you sleep on will make a difference. My experience is that damp ground is also a major factor. The water in the ground conducts heat away 24 times faster than the...

May 17, 11:31pm

Reflectix is not the solution
Jim Ellis said, "I will put a 1/4" reflectix pad below the air core tonight and see what difference there is and report back." Your body looses heat 3 ways simultaneously, 1)radiation, 2)convection...

May 17, 11:28pm

69F versus BA Insulated Air Core Temp Rating of 15F
The BA Encampment sleeping bag is conservatively rated as a 20 degree top bag without any insulation on the bottom. I measured the top loft at 2 ½ inches of Polarguard Delta. I was not wearing any...

May 17, 1:52pm

Thermoplastic
Bill, Thank you for providing information on the plastic you referred to. I very much enjoyed reading about and seeing the pictures of your project. I am looking forward to further updates on yo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Ultra-Light External Frame Pack
April 23, 9:38am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm