Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1551 - 1560 of 1580 | Page: 1 ...139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158

Forum » Thread

Long Hike Diet
My expedition menu planning has been predicated on satisfying the following heart rate zone – food type utilization ratios. Prior to an expedition, and already physically fitness trained, I do re...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Diet for High Mileage Long Hikes
February 17, 12:04pm

Re: Diet for High Mileage Long Hikes
40 miles per day with adequate sleep and meal prep times = ~12 hours of walking per day @ an average rate of 3.3 mph. At that rate of speed your metabolic rate multiplier (METs) would be as follows...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Diet for High Mileage Long Hikes
February 16, 4:56pm

homemade inflatable pillow
Ryan (The Boy Genius), I first thought "that boy could be a genius" when you deduced that the MSR Wind Pro could be made a good cold weather stove by inverting the canister. Now with the adop...

In Make Your Own Gear » homemade inflatable pillow
January 02, 3:56pm

Re: Micro Puff Jacket vs.U.L.Thermawrap Parka
The Thermawrap parka uses 80g/m2 (2.6 oz/yd2) polyester filament insulation and the Micro Puff uses 2.6 oz/yd2 polyester filament insulation. They should be about equal in warmth with .6" of loft.

In GEAR » Micro Puff Jacket vs.U.L.Thermawrap Parka
November 07, 9:09am

Re: Trilemma: Rockies, SealSkinz, or VB socks?
I used SealSkinzs with my Solomon Water Shoes for hiking during a 1 1/2 month SC Alaska Sea Kayaking expedition this summer. My feet got cold when I walked through the inevitable water puddles. Sin...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Footies-VBL's-0.22oz a pair
October 30, 10:37am

PCU
Joe, thank you for your well researched and easy to understand explanation of the PCU options and benefits.

In GEAR » Special Forces Clothing System.
June 04, 11:11am

Special Forces Clothing System
I have never stood around in -60F weather and so my research is secondary. In one of Ryan’s articles on the subject of backpacking, he recommended “Secrets of Warmth” by Hal Weiss as a good r...

June 03, 4:36pm

According to my source, it is .5oz Primaloft Sport.
Don't you mean 5 oz Primaloft Sport? That would make both the vest and jacket about 1.1" thick and total ensemble about 2.5" thick which is what is needed for light work at -60F and about the l...

June 03, 3:12pm

PCU Level 7
What is the loft of this garment class?

June 03, 9:33am

Emissivity
Richard S said, “Isn't radiant heat loss a reality with darker coloured fabrics, due to the fact that the emissivity climbs towards 1.0 as the material becomes "blacker"? The short answer is ...

In GEAR » big agnes mummy style mattresses
May 21, 12:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm