BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1551 - 1560 of 1836 | Page: 1 ...147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ...184

Forum » Thread

Re: Custom Clothing
Except that I'd probably want to try it myself, I'd hire my neighbor who is an absolute magician with a sewing machine. You might want to call on a couple small high end clothing stores an...

In Gear Lists » Custom Clothing
September 07, 12:21pm

Re: Tested out the Cuben Hybrid Mid last week!
4.7oz per person for a fully enclosed shelter for 4, or 6.3oz if used by 3 .... very impressive either way. I especially appreciate that you've included guy lines and stakes in your reported w...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tested out the Cuben Hybrid Mid last week!
September 06, 1:09pm

Re: Make Your Own Gear: Sealing Silnylon Seams
"Jim Wood's Basecamp" promotes the same idea and it works great. Folks with a postal scale that can report in grams might consider a 3:1 (by weight) slurry ... it's somewhat ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: Sealing Silnylon Seams
September 04, 10:02pm

Re: burner buddy results
I'm guessing that the cardboard burned when the wax level got low enough that cardboard "dried out". I'd be worth a try to bring a supply of small wax chunks that could be adde...

In GEAR » Candle as a stove, anyone?
September 04, 9:50am

Re: Good as new 2007 Granite Gear Latitude Vapor Pack - $110
Roleigh, I'll take it. PM sent (I think).

In Gear Swap » Good as new 2007 Granite Gear Latitude Vapor Pack - $110
September 04, 12:40am

Re: 10 lb base wt not doable at REI?
Au Contrare! Looking at the bigger items: Several of these Several of these shelters work a couple of these packs would fit into a 10 lb base (too bad they don't sell the GG Virga) Seve...

In GEAR » The same question as before with a little more detail...which pack would you choose if you were me?
August 29, 8:36am

Dondo's poncho-tarp setup
Very nice. Do you think it'd work as well if the cord was sewn into a hem on the bug screen?

In GEAR » Poncho Tarps List
August 23, 9:30am

Re: Border Route Trail MN
The Border Route was part of Andrew Skurka's "Ultralight in the Nation's Icebox" trek last January. (listen to podcasts here at BPL) IIRC, he reported a single day on the Border...

In Post-Trip Reports » Border Route Trail MN
August 22, 12:00pm

Cloudburst 2 roominess?
Some things to understand when reading TarpTent specs (I'm pretty sure I have this correct, you could confirm with a phone call or web contact): The published widths are from one edge of the...

In GEAR » Cloudburst 2... pros and cons...
August 22, 7:42am

Re: Cloudburst 2... pros and cons...
I have an original Cloudburst, lke it a LOT and normally endorse Henry's products without question but have learned to ask ... In what kind of conditions would you be using it? Also, if you ...

In GEAR » Cloudburst 2... pros and cons...
August 21, 2:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am