Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1551 - 1560 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166

Forum » Thread

Re: bullion cubes, just say no!
They sound great! Where can I find these critters?

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » bullion cubes, just say no!
January 23, 4:47pm

Re: Hypermaterialism and Ultralight Gear
I purchased a singularity from InfinitelyDenseGear.com and now my entire suite of possessions takes virtually no space whatever. There are drawbacks: * Still working on retrieving them for use. ...

In Chaff » Hypermaterialism and Ultralight Gear
January 23, 12:38pm

Re: Influence of gear tests
I can try to respond as a section editor and reviewer (please note: this my personal response and hasn’t been vetted by anybody). The guidance I’ve gotten, and continue to receive, is to be as ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » conflict of interest: Manufacturing V review
January 19, 9:00pm

Re: Saw Delight
I've used a Sandvik pruning saw around the house for about ten years. I've literally cut down whole trees with the thing--it's great. No chopping though. 6.4 oz. http://www.ccrane.com/more...

In GEAR » Lightweight chopping hatchet
January 18, 3:05pm

Re: Montbell bag
Hi Paul, (I'll try to get the name right) it's an Alpine Down Hugger #5 Super Stretch. (Whew!) Mine's the earlier no-zip version. It's a very clever, comfy and compact bag, and quite optimistica...

In Philosophy & Technique » Parka in a sleeping bag
January 18, 1:35pm

Re: Montbell's down
I've got a Montbell bag and the down inner jacket. I strongly feel that both need more, and better quality down to work to their potential. When fluffed to their maximum loft, both show significant...

In Philosophy & Technique » Parka in a sleeping bag
January 18, 11:33am

Re: Is it legal
Yup, a LOT of cameras--just ask my spouse =-0 I can testify that my "lawn" areas are flat as the proverbial pancake and barely populated by actual grass much of the year, much to my neighbor's c...

In GEAR » The secret of the Rainbow
January 17, 12:41pm

Re: Is it legal
If averages are acceptable, I can adopt Paul and several other listers so we can all hit the 3/family requirement. Nothing's free--somebody's got to mow the lawn.

January 17, 10:56am

Re: Another question....on Headlamps
Would this do? http://www.gerbertools.com/Gerber-Meridian-Headlamp-0007.htm I've got no experience with this light, have just seen them in stores. FWIW I don't know of anybody who manufact...

In GEAR » Another question....on Headlamps
January 17, 10:48am

Re: Great photo
You're a man of vast good taste, Franco ;-) I have a G2 system, which is my favorite photo gear by far. Sadly, it's been orphaned by the maker, but mine still works! (Let's hope they keep making...

January 16, 5:51pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm