BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1551 - 1559 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

Forum » Thread

Re: Best ounce you ever carried?
It seems I have several favorite ounces. Many of them have been memorialized by George Thoroughgood. A few others are Scottish. ;) I use a mondo 2" thick thermarest (the new Women's Tra...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best ounce you ever carried?
July 06, 10:28am

Re: Re: WM summerlite vs ultralite for temps down to 20F
Hey Ashley- I think you're doing the right thing with the UL. As someone once mentioned to me, if you're wondering if something is "enough," it's probably not. On an experimen...

In GEAR » WM summerlite vs ultralite for temps down to 20F
July 06, 9:26am

Re: Re: WM summerlite vs ultralite for temps down to 20F
I just wanted to second Russell's thoughtful response. Every piece of gear we carry is (or should be) based on our personal needs and expectations. Your metabolism could be vastly different tha...

In GEAR » WM summerlite vs ultralite for temps down to 20F
July 05, 2:13pm

Re: 8.8g SUUL remate canister stove
Stunning. Speechless. Wow. Tony, it seems you hear this all the time, and it also seems to bear saying again all the time... you're an absolute wonder. I have absolutely no idea if this m...

In Make Your Own Gear » 8.8g SUUL remate canister stove
July 05, 1:54pm

Re: Bag v Quilt
Hah! No, I wasn't comparing MityLite:Ghost. Was HighLite:Ghost. Highlite 16oz: Ghost 14oz. If only I could add a SUL zipper on the other side of the MityLite and make it 1/2...:) If I...

In GEAR » Debunking the Myth: Quilts AREN’T as Comfortable as a Sleeping Bag
July 05, 1:29pm

Re: What's in your first aid kit?
Hey- Love the conversation so far! Thought I'd throw in my cent. I'm a former ski patroller, SAR member, W-EMT, paramedic. (I got off the street, and I'm living in a horrible place rig...

In Philosophy & Technique » What's in your first aid kit?
July 05, 1:17pm

Re: Debunking the Myth: Quilts AREN’T as Comfortable as a Sleeping Bag
Thanks for bringing up the subject! I've been somewhat bemused by the quilt approach for some time. Here's the thing: Compared to a high-quality sleeping bag, there isn't always a we...

In GEAR » Debunking the Myth: Quilts AREN’T as Comfortable as a Sleeping Bag
July 05, 10:32am

WTB: Skaha Plus, Vest or Jacket
If anyone has a Nunatak Skaha Plus Vest or Jacket, w/ or w/out front pocket, in size medium... please let me know!

In Gear Swap » WTB: Skaha Plus, Vest or Jacket
July 05, 9:28am

Silk sleeping bag?
Hi! I've been engrossed in all the MYOG threads this week. Inspirational stuff. In one of the 41 pages, Bill had a quilt that was at least partly silk. Out of sheer (sorry, pun intended) curios...

In Make Your Own Gear » Silk sleeping bag?
July 03, 4:54pm

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.