BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 1541 - 1550 of 1745 | Page: 1 ...146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ...175

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with my Gnat?
Stuart, I found this in a gear review of the Gnat on Backpacker.com. >>Two tips: 1) Don’t forget to pack your own windscreen because the burner is very susceptible to breezes, and 2)...

In Editor's Roundtable » Monatauk Gnat Stove Review
August 18, 10:33am

Re: ALL-W.E.T. Cuben Shelter
Steven, Great looking shelter! Went over to your website and read the info below. >>I am also working on a carbon fiber strut to run between the poles. The few times I have used the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » ALL-W.E.T. Cuben Shelter
August 15, 9:57pm

"The Third Pack The Second Stage"
After my last rainy experience on the trail I made a mental note to design pack pockets that will drain. I decided against using mesh after noticing that the material weighed 4 oz per square yard....

In Make Your Own Gear » The Third Pack The Beginning
August 15, 8:23pm

Re: layout on silnylon
Steve, +1 for the fine point Sharpie marking pens. I have also had great luck with Dritz Tailor's Chalk in blue and white, p.n. 642-66. You can see what I am talking about at; http:...

In Make Your Own Gear » layout on silnylon
August 13, 8:30am

Re: Jo-Ann Fabrics grosgrain ribbon and homemade silnylon loops for tarp tie outs
Brendan, I am very much into MYOG for tarps and packs. Your research and testing of the different styles of tieouts and their designs was very informative and helpful. I appreciate the the t...

In Make Your Own Gear » Joann Fabrics Grosgrain Ribbon for tarp tie out loops
August 12, 8:21am

Re: Great job!
Jamie, I was bitten by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am not in search of a cure. :-) There is nothing like the satisfaction of making your own gear, taking it out on the trail and meeting up wit...

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG Goes to the Mountains
August 11, 7:39am

Re: Re: Bivies
Jeffrey, Honestly I think that your Hexamid is a fine piece of gear and it does have more area within "the bug free zone". >>although I can see how the tarp/bivy option offers...

In GEAR » Getting used to tarps
August 10, 4:23am

Re: Getting used to tarps
Jeffrey, Take a look at the Six Moon Designs Meteor Bivy. It is light, roomy, airy and keeps away all manner of pests. I used it under my tarp and in shelters. You can make your ow...

In GEAR » Getting used to tarps
August 09, 10:56pm

The Third Pack The Beginning
Trial and error, learn by doing and "doh" I wish I'd done or thought of that has caused me to begin another SUL pack. On my last AT trek I mailed home some "unnecessary&qu...

In Make Your Own Gear » The Third Pack The Beginning
August 09, 8:07pm

Re: Cuben Fiber Tarps
Lawson, Your tarps are outstanding in your field. That is your field right? ;-) :-) Seriously the tight pitch and the taut ridgeline of your flat tarps are OUTSTANDING! Good luck with your...

In Gear Deals » Cuben Fiber Tarps
August 09, 7:31am

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm