Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1541 - 1550 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

Forum » Thread

Awesome!
Mark, thanks a bunch. That's exactly what I needed (and wanted) to hear. Off to check ThaiSilks to see what's available. But don't let this stop the rest of you from commenting! Late...

In Make Your Own Gear » Silk sleeping bag?
July 09, 9:17am

Layering Versatility
Okay, okay... I couldn't resist a couple more comments. My Western Summerlite has 9 ounces of fill, 4" of loft, and weighs 19 ounces. I've shifted the majority of the down to the top l...

In GEAR » Debunking the Myth: Quilts AREN’T as Comfortable as a Sleeping Bag
July 09, 8:58am

No penalties, All benefits
Tent stakes make life a lot easier. Finagling guy-outs and stuff with rocks, branches, and so forth makes it difficult to get a great pitch, too. Why's that important? Because a solid taut pitc...

In Philosophy & Technique » Why tent stakes?
July 08, 4:17pm

Re: Co-Ban, tape, etc,
Dean, I've really enjoyed your insight and expertise here. The Co-Ban thing, I dunno, guess it's just a hang-up for me so far. Ultimately, I like the stuff a lot better than ace wrap. But ...

In Philosophy & Technique » What's in your first aid kit?
July 08, 3:37pm

Pipe Dreams
Jhaura and Mark, Thanks for responding, guys. To be honest, I think I was having a wicked pipe dream when I posted this WTB, thinking maybe someone would have a, um, well-loved jacket they'd l...

In Gear Swap » WTB: Skaha Plus, Vest or Jacket
July 08, 3:08pm

Baffling Practicality
The most important factor when trying to take the "one bag does it all, I'm gonna shift the down" is how well constructed the bag is. Here's the thing. I've got a WM Antelope ...

In GEAR » continuous baffles on sleeping bags: a practical way to adjust temperature?
July 08, 3:01pm

Steer Clear of ClearView
Flimsy, yes. Also zero insulation. Under-insulation's important, like underwear... The big cold earth'll take a lot of heat out of you. You can get a more durable, warmer pad for same...

In GEAR » Any feedback on the BA Clearview?
July 08, 2:17pm

Re: What type of lens for the trail?
Rick (and all) I worked as an optician for a couple years, not that it gives me a know-it-all license or anything. Not sure what lens you're getting with your stock Radar Paths. If any kind ...

In GEAR » What type of lens for the trail?
July 08, 2:12pm

Versatility and Personal Preference
This has been a great thread. It's interesting from a philosophical perspective to see just how... passionate people get about their chosen favorite gear. As several people have already mention...

In GEAR » Debunking the Myth: Quilts AREN’T as Comfortable as a Sleeping Bag
July 08, 1:21pm

Re: Silk sleeping bag?
I've seen a few posts simply as "bump," which I take to mean "Hello, is anyone out there?" And in that light, Bump. Reading my original post, I could see how someone woul...

In Make Your Own Gear » Silk sleeping bag?
July 07, 11:56am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.