BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1531 - 1540 of 1836 | Page: 1 ...145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ...184

Forum » Thread

Re: Looking for a Down Jacket
If Ben and Charles are truly committed to down for this or are counting grams rather than ounces, then stop reading now. Otherwise, in addition to the climate factors mentioned in the article Mi...

In GEAR » Looking for a Down Jacket
October 04, 10:53am

Re: Heading up to Grand Marais this weekend
Taking the scouts out in late October should be cool - - in more ways than one. Ha. The date is chosen due to them having a 3 day weekend from school, it's too far for us to want to travel f...

In Post-Trip Reports » Aborted overnight on SHT
October 03, 3:15pm

Nice pics Sam. I've never hiked the trail in the spring, I really need to try that. I'll be somewhere on the SHT with our scouts the 3rd weekend of this month, I'm REALLY hoping to s...

October 03, 11:58am

Ditto the Devil's Track Rvr and Cascade Rvr loop suggestions. Also the Lutsen to Caribou Trail segment, although that's 20 miles west of G.M. Use the Superior Shuttle to stage your car at...

October 03, 8:01am

Re: Minima Vest Kit
Has anyone made the Minima Vest from thru-hiker.com? If so, I have not made or used a Minima but I did make and use a Kinsman pullover using 1.8oz PL. It's been fine for me sitting idle a...

In GEAR » Minima Vest Kit
September 28, 2:52pm

Re: Tea Light Stove Upgrade
and found that just dumping the alcohol in the tea light got water to a rolling boil in 5 minutes. Donna, how much water, approx what air temp and approx what starting water temp (sorry about g...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tea Light Stove Upgrade
September 27, 11:42am

Re: Great story!
and I too hope for more like this in the future Ditto that!

In Editor's Roundtable » Bringing up the Rear: An Ultralighter Hikes across the Weminuche with a "Mixed" Group
September 26, 2:26pm

Re: Missing hiker/ your UL day hike list?
This could be fun. I'd be even more fun if we armchair quarterbacks agreed to be blindfolded and dropped off in the bush with our kit and hiking clothing that'd be worn while walking in co...

In GEAR » Missing hiker wouldn't drink untreated water
September 24, 9:51am

Re: Planned use: Down Sleep system + VB
I have no first hand experience with it but there's WarmLite's "Fuzzy Stuff" fabric. www.warmlite.com

In GEAR » What's the benefit of synthetic?
September 24, 3:09am

Re: Black Bear outside the tent strategy question
On a side note, anyone ever use that UL electric bear fence that weighs about 2 pounds? Anyone know of an electrified food bag available for tundra or other areas with no trees for bear bagging foo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Black Bear outside the tent strategy question
September 21, 8:17am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am