BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1531 - 1540 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: The Dynasty Ends?
It's an interesting observation, but only the passage of time can tell whether it represents the end of TNF GT garments. They've certainly been selling non GT WPB shells for several years alongside...

In GEAR » TNF Moving Away from Gore
February 12, 1:24pm

Interesting 45g tripod
The Gorillapod: http://www.gorillapod.com/products.html

In Photography » Interesting 45g tripod
February 09, 12:28pm

Re: filters, particle size, turbidity, etc.
Ultimately, I think we're more interested in mass reduction than absolute particle size. Of course, finer media = greater mass reduction. From what I read turbidity, as measured in NTU, consider...

In GEAR » Water Treatment Ques for Dr. Jordan
February 07, 1:08pm

Re: coffee filters
Hi Paul, I know from using both that metal coffee filters all pass "fines" and result in cloudy coffee, at least compared to paper filters which make perfectly clear coffee (however dark). I don...

February 07, 12:17pm

Re: Water Treatment Question for Dr. Jordan (Or Any Water Expert)
I think it's worth noting that any oxidizing chemical treatment will expend some of itself oxidizing non-biological debris, regardless of particle size. The more you remove in advance the less chem...

February 07, 11:20am

Re: Lightweight Gaiters, OR Flex-Tex Gaiters
I like them. They're great for snow and moderately sloppy conditions, vent well and dry quickly. Easy to put on and remove, too. They make a nice midpoint between coated waterproof or Goretex ga...

In GEAR » Lightweight Gaiters, OR Flex-Tex Gaiters
February 06, 12:06pm

Re: Waterproof and shock proof
Franco beat me to the punch, and will beat me to the retailers as well :-) Here's the maker's info--this camera's clearly a step up from the justly popular Optio WPi: http://www.olympusameric...

In Photography » Waterproof and shock proof
February 04, 11:02am

Re: Towards a Zero Footprint Environmental Responsibility for BPL
Ryan et al, I do think these are important questions from the standpoint of assuring congruity throughout BPL’s operations. That said, it’s also important to not get sidetracked on navel-gaz...

In Philosophy & Technique » Towards a Zero Footprint Environmental Responsibility for BPL
February 02, 1:08pm

Re: Be careful refilling Pro/But mix canisters with pure propane...
Good God yes, this is a photo of an explosion in the making! Propane has a 70 F vapor pressure of 8.4 atmospheres. n-Butane has a 70 F vapor pressure of 2.05 atmospheres. The butane-isobut...

In GEAR » Innovation I'm waiting for
February 02, 12:10pm

Re: Thule or Yakima cargo boxes?
John, while I've never used their boxes I can't say enough good things about the Thule system. I've used their gear for a long time, toting everything from bicycles to kayaks to lumber. The nice th...

In GEAR » Thule or Yakima cargo boxes?
January 31, 11:19am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm