BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1521 - 1530 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Silicone Tubing
I'd recommend quarter-inch ID rather than 1/8, which has limited flow. e.g., 5236K87 The McMaster-Carr stuff is helpfully listed for use with food, beverages and water. (FWIW I've found ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Where to source tubing???
March 14, 12:19pm

Re: Trunk Cookery
Hi Paul, Hard telling actual temps reached in there, but based on how hot items are when I retrieve them, I've got no doubt that under the "right" conditions, my trunk gets very, very hot (e.g.,...

In GEAR » Selecting a Canister Stove for Cold Weather Backpacking
Part I: Stove and Fuel Fundamentals

March 13, 11:37am

Re: Canister temps
I've had canisters in my car trunk in summertime without its exploding into a ball of flame, and it surely gets into the 130-140 range in there, but prudence prevails anyway. Perhaps the important ...

March 12, 1:37pm

Re: Petzel Tikka XP vs. Princetom EOS
Both are nice lights, each with some unique benefits. So there's no clear winner simply comparing specs. The Tikka's diffuser lens is great for taming the bright pencil beam. If you need a flood...

In GEAR » Petzel Tikka XP vs. Princetom EOS
March 11, 10:10am

Re: liquid feed cartridges
The Coleman Max cartridges do just that, using a tube to feed liquid fuel to the stove burner, which is fitted with a generator tube. It's hard to divine what Coleman's intentions are with the M...

March 08, 10:31am

Wallet-Shredding Opportunity
In the form of the Lumix DMC L-1 Digi SLR introduced at PMA this week: http://www.pma-show.com/2006/digital_camera/panasonic_review/015_panasonic_dmc_l1.html http://www.letsgodigital.org/html...

In Photography » Wallet-Shredding Opportunity
February 28, 4:38pm

Re: Ursack Vs. Bear cannister?
The short answer is no, they're not as secure and even if they save your food from a frontal assault, it'll be pretty squashed afterwards. That said, the bag is hugely easier to pack and carry, ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ursack Vs. Bear cannister?
February 28, 1:31pm

Re: JMT shelter recommendation?
Yup, you'll want the two screens: bug and sun.

In GEAR » JMT shelter recommendation?
February 22, 11:59am

Re: Infinity sizing
You'll want a large unless your Levi's inseam is 36". I agree with the other comments--it's a nice, comfortable pack.

In GEAR » Golite Infinity and Intuition Packs
February 20, 9:39pm

Re: Double Rainbow
Youse guyz is sounding like the razor designers; what are up to now, five blades? I think they should skip six blades and go straight to seven. Likewise, how does Lucky Seven Rainbow sound? The ...

In GEAR » World first. Double Rainbow pics
February 13, 11:46am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm