BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1511 - 1520 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: KlearWater as wound irrigant
I'm guessing it could be used as a replacement for bentadyne or hydrogen peroxide in instances when they'd normally be called for--when simple irrigation isn't sufficient. An example might be clean...

In GEAR » KlearWater as wound irrigant
March 26, 11:04am

Re: GPS for under the trees
Check out the recently upgraded etrex "Cx" models (there are three). They use a new processor chip that has lower power consumption and greater sensitivity--even indoors from what I've read so rec...

In GEAR » GPS for under the trees
March 24, 3:05pm

Re: Stove melty bits
This is a good point. I've heat-damaged a piezo igniter module from windscreen use, and am a little curious about those o-rings. Better canister stoves seem to have mostly metal parts, other tha...

In GEAR » Selecting a Canister Stove for Cold Weather Backpacking
Part I: Stove and Fuel Fundamentals

March 22, 1:21pm

Re: combo Water Bottle and Pot
Interesting question; are you looking to just heat water? I'll guess you could boil water in a Sigg bottle--I doubt the thickness would be a problem because aluminum conducts heat so well. Any e...

In Multiple Use Gear » combo Water Bottle and Pot
March 22, 12:17pm

Re: Optio WPi
The WPi's "turn everything orange" setting certainly works well ;-) I agree, great shots that give a good feel to what canyon travel must be like. My feet are soggy from just looking.

In Photo Gallery » Escalante Photos (Optio WPi)
March 22, 11:24am

Re: Muffler tape/bandage
Jason, it's pretty common stuff in auto parts places, and I've seen it made with aluminum tape and fiberglass. Can't imagine aluminum would be of any use here. Here's one example, but I can't t...

In GEAR » MSR Titan Kettle - Hot Handles
March 19, 4:42pm

Re: Hot Handles
A quickie idea might be the fiberglass tape they sell to patch car exhaust systems. FWIW I've never had a problem using a cotton bandana or wool sock, but I avoid handling hot items with synthe...

In GEAR » MSR Titan Kettle - Hot Handles
March 19, 11:44am

Re: Bivy use
I suspect Paul's right on. The shelter footprint is pretty small and when pitched with an air gap at ground level (typical) rain spray and spindrift will certainly come inside (although much less ...

In GEAR » 7.5oz BMW floorless tent?
March 16, 10:46am

Re: AA lithiums vs. CR-V3 lithium
And there you have it. Too darn long since I took that DC electronics class :-) Capacity-wise it seems like a push, but their discharge characteristics could differ, with a given camera preferr...

In Photography » AA lithiums vs. CR-V3 lithium
March 15, 2:54pm

Re: AA lithiums vs. CR-V3 lithium
Just looking at the data, two AA lithiums (2x3000mAh) appear to have twice the capacity of a single CRV3 (1x3000 mAh) at about the same weight, making the AAs the better choice. However, data don't...

In Photography » AA lithiums vs. CR-V3 lithium
March 15, 10:12am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm