Steven McAllister (brooklynkayak) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Atlantic North East
About Me Outdoors
Expedition kayaking
Backpacking
CityBrooklyn
StateNY
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steven McAllister

Showing 1511 - 1520 of 1979 | Page: 1 ...143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ...198

Forum » Thread

Silly stuff
A lot of the arguments seem to be based on their own business. They have to argue that they sell the best stuff out there or fear losing customers. The other arguments against ultralight seem t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I'm Having some Fun at ClubTread. Come join me.
November 25, 8:25am

NYC
Lots of great hiking within 30 miles of NYC, but you will see lot's of people on the trail. Go a little further and you can hike for days without seeing a sole. Northern Harriman Park on &qu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Best backpacking in your area
November 25, 7:35am

Tacos
Reminds me, I was at a bar in Helsinki where the special of the day was margaritas. I commented to the bartender that she used an orange slice instead of lime? Her straight faced response was tha...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So tell me about this place...
November 25, 7:21am

Depends
If I use my large flat tarp or fully enclosed pyramid type or if it is summer time, I use the SMD Meteor Bivy. The whole upper half is one big mesh section. It doesn't protect as well as ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarp vs. Bivey
November 25, 7:05am

Air flow
I found if I hang/suspend the top of an over-sized bivy so that there is some air flow down most of the length, you can reduce the condensation even more. It could be more drafty, but having a dr...

In GEAR » Bivy Condensation
November 25, 6:28am

SL3
The SL3 is well known for it's handling extreme weather. As far as your experience with the tarp, yes it's good to practice with them before heading out on the trail.

In GEAR » Limits of Golite SL3
November 24, 10:28am

SIngle Pole
That's funny that he should say that, he often uses single pole pyramids. I'd guess that a double pole would do better in the snow, but single pole pyramids are good enough in anything bu...

In GEAR » Golite Shangri-La 2 Shelter: Keep it Simple Stupid
November 24, 8:25am

Photos
Here are some photos of an MLD Spinnaker Monk with an Oware Drawcord bivy. Setup in my cramped apartment. I would basically use the Meteor in the same way in warmer weather. The head of the biv...

In GEAR » Best tarp for SMD Meteor Bivy?
November 24, 6:52am

Shangri-La
How about modifying the Shangri-la to use fixed poles like the Spinnshelter and others? I suspect you could make slots with Velcro or other closures. See: http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shel...

In GEAR » Tarps that can be pitched with non-adjustable poles?
November 24, 6:25am

Keep it simple
Thanks Miguel, Regarding: "I want to get back to that sense of being alive and being simple, rather than thinking and talking gear all the time." I hope to some day get enough tim...

In GEAR » Golite Shangri-La 2 Shelter: Keep it Simple Stupid
November 24, 6:19am

All Reader Reviews by Steven McAllister

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

RailRiders Eco-Mesh Clothing
I wear both the shirt and the pants when sun and/or bugs are an issue. They are light, well ventilated and flexible. Mesh ventilated sleeves on the shirt protects arms from bug and sun. Loose fi...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 5:25pm

Melanzana micro grid hoody
Grid fleece is more hydrophobic than standard fleece, but not quite as warm without a shell. Great for cool days. Put a wind shell over the top and you have a warm combination that breaths well and k...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 4:53pm

Integral Designs Silcoat Cape
The biggest complaint that people seem to have about this cape is that it doesn't extend below the knees. I personally prefer this as it works better when hiking in rough terrain or when wearing ...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 08, 10:12am

Mountain Laurel Designs Monk Tarp Spinnaker
This makes a great summer or emergency ultralight shelter. Add a bivy and it could be used year round. I had problems with the durability of the spinnaker version. A couple tie-outs are starting to...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 08, 10:00am

Six Moon Designs Serenity NetTent
Although most people use this combined with the Gatewood Cape, I have used it many times under an Oware Alphamid and I'm sure it would work great under many other pyramid shelters. It is lighter...

November 08, 9:50am

Equinox 8 X 10 silnylon tarp
Although it has grommets instead of tie-outs, the grommets are reinforced and can take abuse. It has mid-point tie-outs that help make it a more versatile shelter. A great step up from the stand...

November 08, 9:41am

Integral Designs Siltarp 2
A good all around tarp. It does not have any mid point tie-outs like Oware and others have. This limits your pitch options, but if all you use is an a-frame or flying diamond pich, this is perfe...

November 08, 9:28am

Oware Flat Tarp 2.5
You will not find a more flexible shelter. Square shape and multiple well placed tie-outs means more pitch options than most shelters. 9'x9' means big enough for a variety of conditions. ...

November 08, 9:23am

Gossamer Gear Spinshelter
The GG Spinnshelter has much of the flexibility of a flat tarp, but easier pitch in a storm-proof mode. It sheds wind well and is fairly roomy when pitched high. You may not be able to fully sit ...

May 25, 9:48am

Gatorade Bottle
On problem with sports drink(Gatorade) bottles is that the cap is made out of a different more brittle material. I have experienced the caps breaking many times from being dropped when full of water. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
June 18, 5:24am