BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1501 - 1510 of 1540 | Page: 1 ...135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154

Forum » Thread

Hat type for hot weather depends of the temp and activity
James, I was referring to Jamie's picture of the Breezer and its effectiveness for protecting him from hot weather. It is all mesh except for the dome. The sun's light energy is converted in...

In GEAR » Breezer - the perfect hat?
March 21, 8:01pm

Typical day on the Alaska coast
Lows in the 40's and rain every day for weeks on end ... ahh ... I love this kind of weather. Five of us spent 1 1/2 months kayaking the Alaska coast last year in this type of weather. Each of ...

In GEAR » layering in the Pacific NW
March 21, 6:52pm

Hat type for hot weather depends of the temp and activity
If the ambient temperature is higher than 93F, then wearing a hat with insulation on top will benefit you. If the ambient temperature is lower, then you will be cooler with a hat that doesn’t ins...

In GEAR » Breezer - the perfect hat?
March 21, 4:50pm

Need to perirodically verify the GTX liner is still in tact
Before a long trip fill up your hiking boots or shoes with water and let them sit for an hour. If water seeps out, the GTX liner has lost its integrity. If the boots or shoes pass this test, they w...

In GEAR » How waterproof are your Gore-Tex boots/shoes?
March 19, 10:03am

Re: Hammock warmth 4
Douglas - Thank you for another very useful post. I suggest that you repeat this test with a 3 oz Space Emergency Blanket on top of the UnderPad. HH Super Shelter testers in Backpack Gear Test f...

In GEAR » UL hommock camping
February 25, 1:10am

Hammock warmth 3
Douglas, thank you for your informative hammock insulation warmth posts. Please keep up the good work. Approximately how big are the gaps, at each end, between the HH bottom and the under pad? T...

In GEAR » UL hommock camping
February 23, 9:10pm

How to optimize pack weight and diet
The answer to your first question is No, "there is no benefit from eating fatty foods, in terms of grabbing energy from them during active exercise at say, 50-65% of VO2max?" The answer to your ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Diet for High Mileage Long Hikes
February 22, 1:27am

Re: Infinity
I frequently use it for packrafting trips, fishing trips, and snow shoe trips of 3-4 days. Whatever I need, that won't fit inside or a pocket, can conveniently be strapped under the expandable top ...

In GEAR » Golite Infinity and Intuition Packs
February 20, 5:43pm

Re: Golite Infinity and Intuition Packs
Alan Dixon did a comprehensive review of the Infinity which is on this site with the title, "GoLite Infinity Backpack REVIEW". I own one and it is my all time favorite.

In GEAR » Golite Infinity and Intuition Packs
February 20, 2:55pm

How to optimize pack weight and diet
In reference to table (http://www.ultracycling.com/nutrition/calories.html) graciously provided by Anonymous, I have two comments about the 20-50% VO2 max range ratio of CHO/fat burned. 1)For a ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Diet for High Mileage Long Hikes
February 18, 1:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm