BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1501 - 1510 of 1565 | Page: 1 ...138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157

Forum » Thread

Caloric value per oz
Einstein X, Paul and Robert are correct in their recommendations. I will just expand on what they told you. Your prior hike’s Cal per oz = 3477.5/29.2= 119.5 cal/oz not 145 cal/oz. This die...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Caloric value per oz
May 21, 6:04pm

Will bugs bite through a Montane Lite Speed Wind Shirt?
Will this wind shirt material (PERTEX® Microlight), worn over bare skin, prevent mosquitoes, flies, white sox, and no-see-ums from biting my torso? Last year I treated it with Permethrin and I ...

In GEAR » Will bugs bite through a Montane Lite Speed Wind Shirt?
May 20, 10:42am

POD 30 Good but will be an 18F difference between man and woman
Dear Ms Anonymous, Thank you for your polite and comprehensive explanations. Based on this information, I think I can explain why our assessments were slightly out of sync. Although the Army...

In GEAR » WM Pod 15 & Pod 30?
May 18, 9:11pm

POD 30 Good
Dear Anonymous, In my original post I said, “With 2.8" average single layer loft, this bag is conservatively rated. The average sleeper should be fine to about 0F with an ADEQUATE PAD.” F...

May 16, 12:15pm

Sleeping Pad Advice with Quilt
If you will be sleeping on snow and want comfort use two Exped Down7 Down Air Mattresses or the Stephensen equivalent. With this much insulation you probably won't need the closed cell foam beneath...

In GEAR » Sleeping Pad Advice with Quilt
May 15, 12:00am

Fabrics / principles
There is a boundary layer out to 6 mm from the insulation fiber that is “still” or a boundary layer between two fibers of up to 12 mm. The tangled nature of the polyester wadding provides th...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2006 Unconventional Sleep Systems Manifesto
May 14, 1:38pm

RER
Al, You are quite welcome. If you have that test done also talk to them about the RER drift with time. For example assume you test that you are burning an equal amount of fat / CHO at 65% of...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Diet for High Mileage Long Hikes
May 14, 8:35am

Patagonia Micro Puff should be warmer
See http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/montbell_ul_thermawarp_parka_spotlite_review.html for the Montbell parka review. The loft is .375". The loft on the Patagonia Micro Puf...

In GEAR » paagonia vs Montbell
May 14, 8:00am

Fat V Carb
Al, Calories as you have given. To optimally dial in your on-the-trail-diet prior to the attempt you can go to a physiology lab and have your RER curve (ratios of fat/CHO burned at different ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Diet for High Mileage Long Hikes
May 10, 10:47pm

Pod30
0F not 0C.

May 10, 3:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm