Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1501 - 1510 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: The power of Down Fill
Hi Paul, You've taken a #7 to 50? That's great, if so. My #5 is definitely not a 40-deg bag, as indicated by their "comfortable temp" 42.8 deg rating. Low 50s is about it without wearing lots...

In GEAR » The power of Down Fill
April 12, 11:30am

Re:The power of Down Fill
I'm led to understand that all down has some feather content. Even my WM and FF bags have feathers poke through the shell at some time or another. There's definitely more to down than feather co...

In GEAR » The power of Down Fill
April 12, 10:46am

Re: Need a Pack Reccomendation
Gregory Advent Pro? http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=16

In GEAR » Need a Pack Reccomendation
April 11, 1:16pm

Re: Panasonic TZ-1
First, I'd wait to read some complete reviews before plunking down my hard-earned cash. I've got a few quickie pros and cons, based only on the provided specs and descriptions. Pros Surprisin...

In Photography » Panasonic TZ-1
April 11, 1:02pm

Re: An Ursack thought
It might work if you could find the correct size pots. However, I'd hate to see what they'd look like after fending off a bear assault.

In Multiple Use Gear » An Ursack thought
April 09, 2:06pm

Re: Aluminum poles attract lightening??
Hate to break it to you, but carbon's also a fine conductor so spending the extra dough won't improve your safety, just your pack weight :-( Very generally, if I were in imminent danger of a lig...

In Philosophy & Technique » Aluminum poles attract lightening??
April 07, 12:14pm

Re: Tripod?
I've used an Ultrapod I for quite awhile (old enough to be Early Winters branded) with cameras up to about eight ounces. It changes how you shoot compared to using a "real" tripod, but for what ...

In GEAR » Panasonic DMC-FX01?
April 07, 10:39am

Re: Poles and Fatigue
I'll opine that except when walking on surfaces where traction is a problem, there's no energy benefit from using poles. Instead, there's some small loss due to carrying the extra weight and to the...

In GEAR » Are poles effective and PP poles more so?
April 05, 2:53pm

Re: Help me get rid of my poles...
The no-cost option is to collect a stick or two before you head above treeline, to use as support(s). It's oftentimes possible go pole-less by stringing a ridgeline or overhead suspension line. ...

In GEAR » Help me get rid of my poles...
April 04, 2:04pm

Re: tahoe rim trail gear list
I can't poke any holes in your list, other than agreeing that the pack's "overkill" for the gear weight but if it's comfortable, so what? Tahoe is a milder climate than Idaho and Utah, so you're...

In Gear Lists » tahoe rim trail gear list
March 28, 10:27am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm